Learning A New Instrument

50/50 Winner

I've just arranged piano lessons for myself as it's an instrument I've always wanted to learn but never got round to doing anything about it. I have played the guitar for 19 years and I'm self taught (pre Internet, from chord books etc) and I was wondering if anyone on here has learned an instrument as an adult.

I'm sure there's some knowledge that's transferable but I haven't a clue about reading sheet music or musical terms. I can play the Rugrats theme tune and part of the song that was featured on the old Hovis adverts but that's it. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

I just got a digital piano the other day. I played when I was younger but stopped before the end of primary school as I couldn't be arsed practicing. The stuff I learned really helped me when I started playing guitar and bass more recently and I'm really excited to get back into it as it's an incredibly rewarding and relaxing instrument to play. Hope to get a proper piano when I buy a house.

If I were you I would learn to read sheet music as it will allow you to play far more interesting pieces. It won't take long to get the basics nailed down. And get a decent stool.

I just got a digital piano the other day. I played when I was younger but stopped before the end of primary school as I couldn't be arsed practicing. The stuff I learned really helped me when I started playing guitar and bass more recently and I'm really excited to get back into it as it's an incredibly rewarding and relaxing instrument to play. Hope to get a proper piano when I buy a house.
If I were you I would learn to read sheet music as it will allow you to play far more interesting pieces. It won't take long to get the basics nailed down. And get a decent stool.

I've been emailing the piano tutor and learning to read sheet music is incorporated into the lessons which I'm glad about. I've recently started listening to Chilly Gonzales and the guy is amazing, I'd love to be able to play this medley -

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2017 at 16:59, Melanius Mullarkey said:

What kind? Thinking of investing and getting rid of my shitey upright.

http://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and-Pianos/Yamaha-Piaggero-NP12-Portable-Digital-Piano-Black/1H08?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=68696d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=169280553679&gclid=CPDgvq6Vl9ICFW0A0wodXSMKug

It sounds really good and it's fun to play but it's essentially just a fancy keyboard. I found the prices range from about £200 then there's a huge gap to the upper end models.

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 18:28, Blootoon87 said:

Trying to learn the guitar just now. That F chord is a bitch eh? Need to suss out power chords, and how you can play different chords just by sliding down the fret. No idea what's going on there yet.

F, and barre chords in general, was/were a big barrier for me - I got over it by holding my fingers in that shape while watching the telly - sore, but it did the trick.

Thing is, once you can play that major barre shape, you just slide the whole thing up a fret at a time and you can play F sharp, then G, then all the major chords - lift your middle finger, and you can play all the minor chords. Easy.

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/03/2017 at 01:33, Johnny Däpp said:

Used to have some keyboards when I was younger but never learned to play anything, just improvised and made my own tunes. 15 years on I bought a 2nd hand keyboard for £75 and it's been a great purchase! I've got comfortable with chords but need to push myself a bit further. 

Last night listening to an acoustic of a song I fucking love, Waiting by Dash Berlin and Emma Hewitt I thought I should go for it. The wife is a singer so thought for the first time we should record a wee duet, delighted with the end result! To think a year ago I could only play some daft wee tunes but whilst this was pretty much chord playing, i really enjoyed it. 

Well done for sticking with it and getting results.  I only play guitar but playing any instrument is rewarding and relaxing

Not being able to do, what you call "something special" shouldn't be an issue; the most important thing is to enjoy what you do,continue learning and who knows what you might be able to do. Good luck 

On 2/17/2017 at 18:28, Blootoon87 said:

Trying to learn the guitar just now. That F chord is a bitch eh? Need to suss out power chords, and how you can play different chords just by sliding down the fret. No idea what's going on there yet.

I've been playing for years now and never been comfortable with a standard F chord. Cliche though but practice makes perfect

Edited by PrestersKTID

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 01/02/2017 at 15:36, 50/50 Winner said:

I've just arranged piano lessons for myself as it's an instrument I've always wanted to learn but never got round to doing anything about it. I have played the guitar for 19 years and I'm self taught (pre Internet, from chord books etc) and I was wondering if anyone on here has learned an instrument as an adult.

I'm sure there's some knowledge that's transferable but I haven't a clue about reading sheet music or musical terms. I can play the Rugrats theme tune and part of the song that was featured on the old Hovis adverts but that's it. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

50/50 winner hasn't posted for a while, hope he's ok and still doing piano.

• 2 weeks later...