Incredibly Tight Competitions

HibeeJibee

I remember someone posting about the Nigerian league a while ago, where almost everyone won most of their home games, and loads of clubs went into the last day able to finish in big stretches of the table.

However, today I happened across the Nordic Championships of 1964-67... this was a competition for the international teams of the 4 Scandinavian countries. From 1924 right up until 1977 this was contested on a 4-year cycle with the nations playing each other 4 times (2 home/2 away) - i.e. 12 games each. In the 1964-67 tournament, quite incredibly, after 23 games had been played Norway went into the concluding game against Sweden knowing that if they won a 4-way tie would result. As it happens the Swedes won and took the tournament outright but it was a near thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964–67_Nordic_Football_Championship

In the British Home Championship there was once a 4-way tie (1955-56) but of course countries played each other only once:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1955–56_British_Home_Championship

Anyone come across a more unlikely tie or very near-run thing?

There was a three-way tie at the top of the Scottish Second Division in 1914/15 - Cowdenbeath, Leith Athletic and St Bernard's all finished level on points.  There was a round-robin play-off, and Cowdenbeath won both matches to secure the title.

In the Southern League Cup and its successor the Scottish League Cup they used Goal Average, presumably latterly GD, to separate sides. Most notable case was Division A Group D in 1948-49 where St Mirren, Aberdeen, Third Lanark and Morton all ended on 6pts... Respective GAs were 1.33, 1.00, 0.92 and 0.81.

Dundee Utd, Ayr and Stenhousemuir all ended on 7pts in Second Division Group 4 in 1956-57... Brechin, Dunfermline and Ayr did the same in Second Division Group 2 in 1957-58... and Motherwell, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd did the same in First Division Group 4 in 1973-74; in the second of a 2-season experiment the top 2 in each section progressed to knockouts so only the Arabs missed-out as it chanced.

There was only thrice an absolute dead-heat atop a section. Tied in Division B Group B in 1945-46 Ayr beat Dundee Utd in a Hampden playoff. Tied in First Division Group 1 in 1960-61 Clyde beat Hearts in a Celtic Park playoff. Tied in Supplementary Group in 1982-83... both were only ahead of Montrose by 1 goal too!... Cowdenbeath beat Meadowbank (unsure where).

In the Summer Cup of 1963-64 Hearts won their section but had an overseas tour due. Hibs and Dunfermline were dead-heated for second and played-off at Tynecastle for SF place.

Same season also saw that competition's only example of 3 clubs finishing on 7pts and separated on Goal Average - with Partick, Morton and St Mirren.

In the 1937-38 English First Division, only 16 points separated top from bottom (Arsenal 52 pts/WBA 36 pts). Only 4 points split the entire bottom half while the reigning champions Man City were relegated with a plus goal difference. The English League was an incredibly competitive competition until the creation of the GIGL when it all went to hell.

2 hours ago, sfha said:

In the 1937-38 English First Division, only 16 points separated top from bottom (Arsenal 52 pts/WBA 36 pts). Only 4 points split the entire bottom half while the reigning champions Man City were relegated with a plus goal difference. The English League was an incredibly competitive competition until the creation of the GIGL when it all went to hell.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1937–38_in_English_football

Looking at that table. If 3 points for a win. Birmingham city (18th) would have been relegated instead of Manchester city. Showing that drawing games was an advantage in 2 points for a win.

I remember an old World Soccer article from the early 1990s that mentioned a Euro league where there were something like 1-0 wins for all the home sides??? I recall it was a third or fourth division, and Italian or Romanian comes to mind! I had a bawling wean at the time so please forgive my memory!

Archived