Canary Islands

welshbairn

On 31/01/2018 at 22:03, John Lambies Doos said:

Love Costa Teguise in Lanzarote. Great bars and restaurants and yes they have Spanish options too. Lovely path adjacent to sea which is ideal for walking/jogging plus exercise machines. Playa Blanca a bit meh.... nice walk along to marina by sea and ok shopping street.
Fire Mountain a must!

Interesting.  We went to Teguise for years but having gone to Playa Blanca wouldn’t go back.

• 5 months later...
18 hours ago, T-zero said:

Heading to playa Blanca in a few weeks been checking the weather and it’s been warmer here! Anyone know what the weathers like in August there?

Usually hot and don’t be fooled by the cooling winds.  If you’re feeling fit try walking the coves on Papagayo or having a wander up Montana Roja.  Enjoy.

17 hours ago, welshbairn said:
On 17/07/2018 at 14:34, hk blues said:
Hot.  It's Spain.

Off the coast of the Sahara actually, but with an Atlantic breeze it can be cooler than Southern Spain.

OK - hot but less hot than Southern Spain.  In all seriousness though, anywhere in Southern Europe is going  to be hot in August.  How hot doesn't really make much difference to most of us northern Europeans I'd guess.

22 minutes ago, hk blues said:

OK - hot but less hot than Southern Spain.  In all seriousness though, anywhere in Southern Europe is going  to be hot in August.  How hot doesn't really make much difference to most of us northern Europeans I'd guess.

The Spanish and Portuguese think we're mad going there for a holiday midsummer. They dream about Alaska. 

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The Spanish and Portuguese think we're mad going there for a holiday midsummer. They dream about Alaska. 

Strange to say, but I'd love to experience the 4 seasons again and that bitingly cold weather we get.  

• 4 weeks later...
Thinking about Arrecife in Lanzarote in January. Anyone been?
Nope but went to Tequise last Jan. Weather was ok most days, sunny and 21ish. Couple of days it pissed down. Beer dirt cheap, pint of Estrella around 1.50 to 2 euros. If you like a dip in the pool make sure you get location with heated pool.

• 5 months later...

Found a bar in Arrecife with the football on tonight, Celta Vigo v Valencia, and they were taking bets on Romford dog racing. :lol: Not sure how it works. part of the rundown bar had a multiscreen section with odds and live coverage like  a bookies at home, but no betting slips or coupons anywhere. Far away from the touristy bits. My Spanish wasn't good enough to ask the girl at the bar, and I already had a bet on. Never seen a bookies in mainland Spain.

Edited by welshbairn

Found a bar in Arrecife with the football on tonight, Celta Vigo v Valencia, and they were taking bets on Romford dog racing. [emoji38] Not sure how it works. part of the rundown bar had a multiscreen section with odds and live coverage like  a bookies at home, but no betting slips or coupons anywhere. Far away from the touristy bits. My Spanish wasn't good enough to ask the girl at the bar, and I already had a bet on. Never seen a bookies in mainland Spain.
If it's anything like the 'bookies' in benidorm then you just tell them the bet you want and they log onto a betting website and out the bet on on your behalf!

Found a bar in Arrecife with the football on tonight, Celta Vigo v Valencia, and they were taking bets on Romford dog racing. [emoji38] Not sure how it works. part of the rundown bar had a multiscreen section with odds and live coverage like  a bookies at home, but no betting slips or coupons anywhere. Far away from the touristy bits. My Spanish wasn't good enough to ask the girl at the bar, and I already had a bet on. Never seen a bookies in mainland Spain.
What's your weather been like WB?

8 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
On 19/01/2019 at 20:46, welshbairn said:
Found a bar in Arrecife with the football on tonight, Celta Vigo v Valencia, and they were taking bets on Romford dog racing. emoji38.png Not sure how it works. part of the rundown bar had a multiscreen section with odds and live coverage like  a bookies at home, but no betting slips or coupons anywhere. Far away from the touristy bits. My Spanish wasn't good enough to ask the girl at the bar, and I already had a bet on. Never seen a bookies in mainland Spain.

What's your weather been like WB?

Low to mid 20s, couple of overcast and showery days. Back in Inverness now unfortunately.

Strange to say, but I'd love to experience the 4 seasons again and that bitingly cold weather we get.  

Wouldn’t necessarily want the cold weather.
Been over to Malmo in December past and Budapest this week with work and 3 days is plenty!

However the seasons. Can’t complain about the weather out here, but the fact that each season drifts into another with little change but more or less rain I sometimes forget what month it is never mind day!

Again though, a great complaint to have!

13 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
4 hours ago, welshbairn said:
Low to mid 20s, couple of overcast and showery days. Back in Inverness now unfortunately.

Did you get full sunshine for any days?

Aye, there was only a couple of showery days, but it was still warm.

Just now, John Lambies Doos said:
2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
Aye, there was only a couple of showery days, but it was still warm.

What beer were you on, much you paying for pint?

About a euro a glass, roughly half a pint, just whatever lager they had. Had 2 beers and an omelette baguette for 4 euros. I wasn't in a tourist resort though, might have been cheaper where I was in the Capital.  

• 2 months later...
On 07/09/2017 at 17:22, alta-pete said:

Fuerteventura is my favourite of all the Canaries - by a margin.

Used to go to Caleta de Fuste (lots of big chain hotels, decent safe wee beach if you've got kids) but kinda got bored of it after 3/4 years.

Corralejo now my default choice although disappointed to find the shabby wee Coronita beach bar at the bottom of the town had closed. Seems to me like they stopped food and drink on the beach and that was the end of it. Now replaced by a much shinier (i.e. more expensive) version where you have to eat inside. I suppose it's what some folk would call progress...☹️

Booked up for Puerto del Rosario in January. AirBnB apartment overlooking the docks. It will remind me of camping out in Peterhead harbour for a pre season game once. :1eye