Alloa v Livi

30 minutes ago, Waspie said:

I've seen a few posts about Jason Marr making mistakes that "cost us points", specifically 6 points. Dodgy argument IMO. He made a howler against Brechin, but Alloa conceded two goals that day and also dominated possession but could only score once. It wasn't Jason Marr's fault that Alloa lost that game. The other mistake often mentioned was against Peterhead and it wasn't on the same scale at all. Again, Alloa dominated that game and saying the defeat was down to a Marr mistake is nonsense. The idea that a player who has been outstanding over this and a few other seasons - and who could be playing at a level above - "deserved a stint on the bench" for a couple of errors is seriously flawed IMO. If he cost us 6 points how many has he saved previously? I thought the timing was questionable too as we went with a new pairing against a side with significantly more attacking edge than any team in our league. Uncertainty at the centre of the defence contributed to us going in 2-0 down at h/t that day. I'd suggest there were better times to introduce McKeown. 

As for the point about who makes way for Flannigan, I don't think that's something you worry about. Flannigan is a class above at this level. Jim Goodwin said a few weeks ago that we don't win many games without Flannigan. If he is fit then invariably you pick him and decide who plays around him rather than worrying about who makes way for him. 

Personally I don't like the idea that players should drop out if they aren't perceived to be at their very best. I know the argument is that it keeps them on their toes and provides competition for places, but I'm not sure you really get the best out of everyone if they fear losing their place over an error or two. This approach will also mean you have to change the team very frequently which I think is counter productive.  

I hope Marr and Flannigan are back in the side soon. Same goes for the striker who has 18 goals in 33 starts this season. 

On the other hand Jim Goodwin against Queens Park. Doesn't go with his player. We concede a goal. Jim drops himself for the next game against Brechin. Has a bad performance against Stranraer and we looked well off it as a team despite winning. Jim's been out the team ever since.

Obviously there's loyalty to players but if I was in the team and I made mistakes I don't see the problem being on the bench instead. If I'm on the bench and I see mistakes or no improvement and I don't get an opportunity then I would very quickly become unhappy.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jim Goodwin is deliberately phasing out his playing to focus on coaching from the dugout. Completely different scenario.

If Jason was selling the jerseys every week fair enough. He isnt (and wasnt). In the Stranraer game you mention in particular he was excellent.

I think the following points should be generally accepted as gospel:

1.Chopping and changing the team every week like Claudio Ranieri on m cat is counter productive

2. Its Scottish League One, not La Liga. Heading the ball straight up in the air is not a mistake punishable by banishment to the sidelines for many weeks.

And most importantly 3. Jason Marr is God

MarrmyLord.jpg

Archived