Games off

CCC loyal

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MATCH OFF

Yoker v Cumbernauld postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Thanks to Cumbernauld and Referee Chris McTiernan for giving the ground staff time to work on the park to try and get the game on.

Rutherglen Glencairn v Irvine Meadow XI has just been called off by the match referee. The officials and players of both teams wanted to play the game and agreed that the pitch is in excellent condition. The only person who thought that the pitch is unplayable was the referee.

Just arrived. Spoke to Glens committee member. One soft area in the middle of the park and ref refused to wait whilst they worked on it. Costs Glens £400 in lost revenue and paying for Medda bus. Pitch looks like a bowling green.

Thank you. There are pictures of the pitch on Twitter as well, taken after the referee had left.

I would like to add that the referee did not even put his boots on to do the pitch inspection, he did it in his flat soled smart shoes. At no point did he kick the ball across the surface. At no point did he roll the ball across the surface. He bounced the ball in several areas of the park and it bounced every time, until he found one area (about two square metres maximum) where it didn't bounce. He then immediately said "game off".

Everybody present to witness the inspection (from both sides) was stunned that the game was off.

We asked the referee if he would allow us to work quickly on the small problem area (it would have taken about five minutes), but he said it wouldn't make a difference with an hour to go to kick off. The rain had just about stopped by this stage.

This has cost us a fortune. What is the point of volunteer committee guys giving up hours and hours of their time and money every week to get pitches into the great condition that our pitch is in, if referees aren't even going to try to let games go ahead ?

pitch looks perfect, why didnt the ref give you time to work on the pitch, you have match approved lights so even if it took a bit of time there was no fear of failing light. Plus what exactly was the ref doing inspecting the pitch in flat shoes not studded boots. I hope Rutherglen put a formal complaint into the SJFA

pitch looks perfect, why didnt the ref give you time to work on the pitch, you have match approved lights so even if it took a bit of time there was no fear of failing light. Plus what exactly was the ref doing inspecting the pitch in flat shoes not studded boots. I hope Rutherglen put a formal complaint into the SJFA

We're not sure why he didn't give the chance to go ahead. He did not entertain a the suggestion of a further inspection, even though the players had already arrived and all the costs already incurred. I can guarantee you that the pitch would have been perfect again within ten minutes and everybody would have been happy.

42 minutes ago, glensmad said:

We're not sure why he didn't give the chance to go ahead. He did not entertain a the suggestion of a further inspection, even though the players had already arrived and all the costs already incurred. I can guarantee you that the pitch would have been perfect again within ten minutes and everybody would have been happy.

Park certainly looks the part but come on you cant judge it on how it looks and lets be honest if it was flooded then whats 10 mins forking going to do... Been pissing down all day! 

Park certainly looks the part but come on you cant judge it on how it looks and lets be honest if it was flooded then whats 10 mins forking going to do... Been pissing down all day! 

I was on the park from 9.30am setting up. It was perfect. When I went back on it at 12.30pm it needed forked in one small area, and we did that as the referee arrived. He didn't give it a chance.

If you doubt me, ask any of the Irvine Meadow players who were there already. They also walked across the pitch and couldn't understand why there was even a concern about the pitch.

As posted above by Ardenvohr6, who was actually at the stadium just after the inspection, the "pitch looks like a bowling green". He was also given the opportunity to walk on the pitch.

Anybody who was actually at the ground today will tell you the same thing.

Ref did the same at St Rochs v Kilsyth years ago inspecting the pitch in dress shoes and not letting St Rochs work on a soft area to get game on. If you dont want to ref games dont become a ref.

Archived