The Greatest Year: 1967 - From the Archives

Most agree that 1967 - or rather the first half of it - was the greatest period in Scottish football history. In the space of a few months Celtic won the European Cup; Rangers reached the Final of the Cup-Winners' Cup; Kilmarnock reached the Semi-Finals of the Fairs Cup. Scotland became unofficial world champions before embarking on an unprecedented world tour - and our national teams at other grades and age levels swept all before them.

In domestic football, Celtic won a quintuple; what has been termed the 'greatest giant-killing in history' was witnessed in the Scottish Cup; and the venerable Third Lanark breathed their last. Several clubs were even audacious enough to join the American United Soccer Association ('USA').

Given the interest in the 'old stadiums' thread and others, I thought it might be interesting to follow these events 50yrs on, day-by-day. I'll post up fixtures and results with a little mock preview and summary, and match footage where it exists. Hopefully it'll generate some discussion and give context to those heady days.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clubs are up for the Scottish Cup

Tomorrow is one of the favourite days of the domestic football calendar – the First Round of the Scottish Cup. Two non-league clubs have made it through to join thirty Scottish League teams in the competition proper. All eyes will be on Borough Briggs in Elgin and Telford Street in Inverness, where Elgin City and Caledonian take on Ayr of the First Division and Hamilton Acas of the Second Division respectively.

Other attractive ties include the visit of holders Rangers to lowly Berwick, with the Herald stating “anything other than a comfortable Rangers victory must be deemed a surprise”, while high-flying Clyde travel to lower-league Morton. Big crowds are expected for the Dundee-Aberdeen derby and the visit of Dunfermline to Kilmarnock.

There are two games in the Second Division – Albion Rovers v Third Lanark has been brought forward from March 4th, and Montrose v debutants Clydebank was postponed three weeks ago.

In news, the crew of Apollo 1 died in a training fire today. The United Kingdom, USA and USSR signed the Outer Space Treaty. Parliament nationalised the steel industry yesterday.

Saturday 28th January 1967

Scottish Cup - First Round

Berwick Rangers v Rangers (2:45)

Caledonian v Hamilton Academical (2:45)

Celtic v Arbroath

Dundee v Aberdeen

Elgin City v Ayr United

Falkirk v Alloa Athletic

Heart of Midlothian v Dundee United

Hibernian v Brechin City

Kilmarnock v Dunfermline Athletic

Morton v Clyde

Motherwell v East Fife

Partick Thistle v Dumbarton

Queen’s Park v Raith Rovers

Stirling Albion v Airdrieonians

St Johnstone v Queen of the South

St Mirren v Cowdenbeath

Second Division

Albion Rovers v Third Lanark (2:30)

Montrose v Clydebank (2:45)

11 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Tomorrow is one of the favourite days of the domestic football calendar – the First Round of the Scottish Cup. Two non-league clubs have made it through to join thirty Scottish League teams in the competition proper. All eyes will be on Borough Briggs in Elgin and Telford Street in Inverness, where Elgin City and Caledonian take on Ayr of the First Division and Hamilton Acas of the Second Division respectively.

Other attractive ties include the visit of holders Rangers to lowly Berwick, with the Herald stating “anything other than a comfortable Rangers victory must be deemed a surprise”, while high-flying Clyde travel to lower-league Morton. Big crowds are expected for the Dundee-Aberdeen derby and the visit of Dunfermline to Kilmarnock.

Some things never change...

I remember this round of the cup well, as I'm sure do all P&Bers of my vintage.

My dad, who was a Queens' fan took me to Hampden to see the cup tie against Raith. I think Queens' winner was scored by their eccentric left winger with a shot/cross which bounced over Raith's undersized keeper(Reid?) and into the net. The Queens' guy might have been sent off before the end - he certainly had an eventful game.

I definitely recall word going round as we were leaving Hampden that Rangers had lost to Berwick. I was too young then to appreciate how funny that was.

21 minutes ago, Estragon said:

Wow. All the best with this HJ - quite an undertaking, but a brilliant idea.

Indeed.  I was 7 in 1967 and all this "Berwick Rangers" chat just never happened.  That the wee team's goalkeeper would go on to be a double treble winning manager for Rangers is the stuff of dreams ;)

21 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

And Ayr weren't in the First Division in 1966/67

Archived