The Greatest Year: 1967 - From the Archives

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

He doesn't believe that Rangers can have more and wants to disprove it!

More to do with how I am aware of twenty five of our 100,000 games and wanting to know which other four games broke the magic 100,000 mark.  The rangers attendances is more out of curiosity than anything.  Other than that, you've made an outstanding contribution to an already good thread with that post Joey.  No, really.  You have. 

3 minutes ago, TheCelt67 said:

More to do with how I am aware of twenty five of our 100,000 games and wanting to know which other four games broke the magic 100,000 mark.  The rangers attendances is more out of curiosity than anything.  Other than that, you've made an outstanding contribution to an already good thread with that post Joey.  No, really.  You have. 

Fair doos! I apologise.

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

I was one of the 108,000+ at the 1970 cup final against Celtic. Second back row of the old North Stand. Oh my!!!

That era was before my time but my father often speaks about the massive crowds cup finals could attract.  It seems between the late 1920's until the mid 70's it was unusual for a cup final not to be attended by over 100,000 people.  His biggest crowd was the Celtic v Leeds game, 136,000 plus, oh my indeed!

4 minutes ago, TheCelt67 said:

That era was before my time but my father often speaks about the massive crowds cup finals could attract.  It seems between the late 1920's until the mid 70's it was unusual for a cup final not to be attended by over 100,000 people.  His biggest crowd was the Celtic v Leeds game, 136,000 plus, oh my indeed!

A man in his late 60s drinks in my local and I often chat to him about football "back in his day".

He's a Celtic fan (not that it matters) and says that on cup final day, two factors contributed to the huge crowds...

1. there was often (but not always) no other games on in the Glasgow area and

2. pubs shut between 2 and 5:30 meaning there was nothing else to do other than go to the cup final or home to the wife!

He said he went to every cup final between the early 50s and the early 70s either as a Celtic fan or a neutral and had plenty of mates who did the same.

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

A man in his late 60s drinks in my local and I often chat to him about football "back in his day".

He's a Celtic fan (not that it matters) and says that on cup final day, two factors contributed to the huge crowds...

2. pubs shut between 2 and 5:30 meaning there was nothing else to do other than go to the cup final or home to the wife!

He said he went to every cup final between the early 50s and the early 70s either as a Celtic fan or a neutral and had plenty of mates who did the same.

I can believe that.  Was the same with the big European games, neutrals could make up a fair number of the crowd.

4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

a few of my mates make sure to get proper smashed to enjoy cup final day regardless of Celtic's involvement... usually picking a team to back hard at the bookies beforehand, just for more fun.

22 minutes ago, TheCelt67 said:

The Celtic Leeds game, I think, was in the midweek following the 1970 Scottish Cup Final. Then 10 days after that was the Scotland v England match with 134,000, which I was also at. So between 11th April and 25th April 1970, Hampden had three crowds of 108,000, 136,000 and 134,000! Incredible, but off subject!

Goals and drama in the Scottish Cup

Second Round day in the Scottish Cup brought scores and scenes aplenty yesterday as teams staked their claims to a place in the Quarter-Finals. Goals rained in at Pittodrie, Shawfield and Parkhead where the last non-leaguers standing, Elgin, were thrashed. Crowds flocked to Easter Road and saw giant-killers Berwick unlucky in losing 1-0 to Hibs. Dunfermline-Partick and Airdrieonians-Queen’s Park both finished 1-1 and require replays.

There was almost a full card in the Second Division containing matches put off by the weather on December 17th and January 7th and by the League Cup Quarter-Finals on September 14th. Result of the day came at Stark’s Park where a rampant Raith closed to within 10pts of Morton with a game in hand.

Travelling supporters’ hooliganism and bottle-throwing marred Rangers visit to Leicester.

There was also a Fairs Cup tie played in Romania today where Yugoslav visitors Dynamo Zagreb beat counterparts Pitesti 0-1.

In news, the DA of New Orleans, Jim Garrison, has caused a sensation by announcing his department is investigating the assassination of President Kennedy over 3 years ago as "conspiracy".

Scottish Cup - Second Round

Aberdeen 5-0 St Johnstone (22,800)

Celtic 7-0 Elgin City (34,000)

Clyde 4-1 East Fife (4,151)

Dundee United 1-0 Falkirk (11,000)

Hibernian 1-0 Berwick Rangers (29,911)

Partick Thistle 1-1 Dunfermline Athletic (19,114)

Queen’s Park 1-1 Airdrieonians (5,963)

St Mirren 0-1 Hamilton Academical (7,623)

Second Division

Albion Rovers 0-4 Arbroath (607)

Alloa Athletic 0-1 Stranraer (618)

Clydebank 0-2 Third Lanark (1,452)

Cowdenbeath 4-2 Montrose (392)

Dumbarton 0-2 Brechin City (397)

Queen of the South 2-2 Stenhousemuir (1,146)

Raith Rovers 6-1 East Stirlingshire (2,038)

Inter-Cities Fairs Cup - Third Round, First Leg

Dynamo Pitesti 0-1 Dynamo Zagreb (18,000)

Friendlies

Leicester City 1-0 Rangers

Stirling Albion 0-5 Morton

5 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Goals and drama in the Scottish Cup

Second Round day in the Scottish Cup brought scores and scenes aplenty yesterday as teams staked their claims to a place in the Quarter-Finals. Goals rained in at Pittodrie, Shawfield and Parkhead where the last non-leaguers standing, Elgin, were thrashed. Crowds flocked to Easter Road and saw giant-killers Berwick unlucky in losing 1-0 to Hibs. Dunfermline-Partick and Airdrieonians-Queen’s Park both finished 1-1 and require replays.

There was almost a full card in the Second Division containing matches put off by the weather on December 17th and January 7th and by the League Cup Quarter-Finals on September 14th. Result of the day came at Stark’s Park where a rampant Raith closed to within 10pts of Morton with a game in hand.

Travelling supporters’ hooliganism and bottle-throwing marred Rangers visit to Leicester.

There was also a Fairs Cup tie played in Romania today where Yugoslav visitors Dynamo Zagreb beat counterparts Pitesti 0-1.

In news, the DA of New Orleans, Jim Garrison, has caused a sensation by announcing his department is investigating the assassination of President Kennedy over 3 years ago as "conspiracy".

Scottish Cup - Second Round

Aberdeen 5-0 St Johnstone (22,800)

Celtic 7-0 Elgin City (34,000)

Clyde 4-1 East Fife (4,151)

Dundee United 1-0 Falkirk (11,000)

Hibernian 1-0 Berwick Rangers (29,911)

Partick Thistle 1-1 Dunfermline Athletic (19,114)

Queen’s Park 1-1 Airdrieonians (5,963)

St Mirren 0-1 Hamilton Academical (7,623)

Second Division

Albion Rovers 0-4 Arbroath (607)

Alloa Athletic 0-1 Stranraer (618)

Clydebank 0-2 Third Lanark (1,452)

Cowdenbeath 4-2 Montrose (392)

Dumbarton 0-2 Brechin City (397)

Queen of the South 2-2 Stenhousemuir (1,146)

Raith Rovers 6-1 East Stirlingshire (2,038)

Inter-Cities Fairs Cup - Third Round, First Leg

Dynamo Pitesti 0-1 Dynamo Zagreb (18,000)

Friendlies

Leicester City 1-0 Rangers

Stirling Albion 0-5 Morton

Fantastic crowds at Easter Road, Firhill and Pittodrie. What surprises me, is that the Second Division crowds are as low then as they are now at most of the smaller teams. 

5 hours ago, TheCelt67 said:

Do you happen to have a list of the matches played in front of the 100,000 plus crowd?

Celtic:

Scottish Cup Finals (20) - 1928, 1931, 1933, 1937, 1951, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1961, 1963 + replay, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1969, 1970, 1971 + replay, 1972, 1973
Scottish Cup SFs (3) - 1925, 1954, 1957

League Cup Finals (2) - 1965, 1970
League Cup section decider (1) - 1948 (at Ibrox)

Coronation Cup Final (1) - 1953

League, New Year Derby (1) - 1939 (at Ibrox)

European Cup SF (1) - 1970 (at Hampden)

16 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

I think point 3 is certainly correct... Family members in the generations above me would go through to the Scottish Cup Final each season - or if it wasn't annually at least quite often - as neutrals, from the other side of Scotland. Seem to have treated it like going to the internationals.

I'm not so sure of point 1... I've read of other games the same day - including Third Lanark games or youth internationals at the other end of the street from Hampden intended to attract anyone locked-out if or when the Ground Full signs went up. Have to look into it.

Really enjoying this thread HJ. 1966-67 was the season my dad started to take me to Spiders games and of course it was also the QP centenary season.

I was at the Hampden cup ties v Raith Rovers and Airdrie. I don't think a game between Queen's and Airdrie would draw nearly 6,000 nowadays. Maybe not so unusual back then as Airdrie were a 1st Division side and Queen's home league crowds were usually 1,200 - 1,500. The weather was poor that day so that may have cut the attendance, but it meant that most of the crowd headed for the South Stand where huge queues built up before the game. Still remember my dad's astonishment at the sight. Don't remember much about the actual game though, apart from the crowd rising to its feet and roaring when Queen's scored.

The QP digital match programme (on the official site) is carrying a series of articles on the 1966-67 season. Worth checking out!

18 hours ago, kingjoey said:

The Celtic Leeds game, I think, was in the midweek following the 1970 Scottish Cup Final. Then 10 days after that was the Scotland v England match with 134,000, which I was also at. So between 11th April and 25th April 1970, Hampden had three crowds of 108,000, 136,000 and 134,000! Incredible, but off subject!

Was that game no televised?

I can remember when Leeds scored through Bremner that c**t Coleman commented, "1-0 Leeds" but said it like it was the first goal of many for Leeds.

To answer earlier query: between 1920 and 1971 (when the Scottish Cup Final moved to May on its own dedicated Saturday), there were 24 occasions when there was also a league game on in Glasgow and 20 when there wasn't. On 2 of those 20 occasions were there 2 league games clashing. Totals:

Clyde - 7
Partick - 7
Celtic - 5
Rangers - 4
Queen's Park - 2
Third Lanark - 1

Most notable examples:

Partick v Rangers ... Scottish Cup Final ... 28,294
Queen's Park v Kilmarnock ... League game ... 12,000

Dunfermline v Hearts ... Scottish Cup Final ... 56,366
Rangers v Aberdeen ... League game ... 35,814

Queen’s Park edge it at Broomfield

Amateur hour was a badge of honour in Lanarkshire tonight as Queen’s Park made it through to the Scottish Cup Quarter-Finals in their centenary year. Both clubs had wasted no time in arranging their replay after a draw at Hampden on Saturday. Hay gave the Spiders an early lead on a mud-bath surface. Ferguson missed a penalty for Airdrieonians before Hopper scored one for the Glaswegians. McPheat’s goal shortly after half-time proved only a consolation.

Here is the Quarter-Final draw, due March 11th:

Hibernian v Aberdeen

Dundee United v Dunfermline Athletic/Partick Thistle

Celtic v Queen’s Park

Clyde v Hamilton Academical

Scottish clubs ended their visits to England. Motherwell were thrashed in Hull and Dundee’s appearance at Millwall was waterlogged. On the domestic side Morton reiterated their promotion credentials, beating Hearts 3-2.

In the National Youth Competition Semi-Finals the Scottish Welfare FA drew 4-4 with holders the Association of Boys Clubs.

Scottish Cup - Second Round, replay

Airdrieonians 1-2 Queen’s Park (4,444)

Friendlies

Hull City 4-0 Motherwell

Millwall P-P Dundee

Morton 3-2 Heart of Midlothian

SFA National Youth Competition

Scottish Welfare FA 4-4 Scottish Association of Boys Clubs

Archived