The Greatest Year: 1967 - From the Archives

6,800 is from Romeo Ionescu's book of Fairs Cup stats.

Herald says 3,000. Evening Times 6,000.

There was rioting in Napoli.

Cushions hurled :lol:, fires started, 6 police laid-out, Burnley conveyed to airport by 50 guardsmen in 9 jeeps :huh:.

1967020801.jpg

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big scores as top sides go for goals

Aberdeen, Celtic and Motherwell struck big scorelines in the league earlier. In the game of the day Rangers won at Rugby Park, where guest of honour was visiting Soviet premier Kosygin, and in doing so kept pace with Celtic who won comfortably at Somerset Park. Chalmers hat-trick for Celtic was joined by efforts from Johnstone and Hughes. Wilson broke the deadlock for Rangers ten minutes after half-time and although McIlroy equalised on 72 minutes, Willoughby struck the winner four minutes later. Over 40,000 people attended these two games in Ayrshire. There was a very poor attendance at Tynecastle to see Hearts edge-out St Johnstone.

In the Second Division the relentless run of Morton continued with a gutsy victory at Coatbridge.

Bobby Brown will take-over as Scotland manager in time to prepare for the forthcoming intermediate international in Newcastle. He will leave St Johnstone after their Scottish Cup tie next weekend.

In news, the Twenty-Fifth Amendment of the United States constitution was ratified yesterday, dealing with presidential disability and vice-presidential succession. A deadly earthquake struck the city of Neiva, Colombia, earlier.

First Division

Aberdeen 7-0 Airdrieonians (9,381)

Ayr United 0-5 Celtic (13,805)

Dundee United 1-3 Hibernian (9,200)

Falkirk 0-2 Clyde (4,472)

Heart of Midlothian 1-0 St Johnstone (5,897)

Kilmarnock 1-2 Rangers (31,551)

Motherwell 5-3 Dundee (3,723)

Partick Thistle 0-0 Dunfermline Athletic (6,803)

St Mirren 4-0 Stirling Albion (4,744)

Second Division

Albion Rovers 0-1 Greenock Morton (2,071)

Alloa Athletic 2-3 Raith Rovers (1,202)

Berwick Rangers 3-1 Arbroath (1,507)

Cowdenbeath 3-3 Hamilton Academical (543)

Dumbarton 1-0 Stranraer (635)

East Fife 4-3 Stenhousemuir (1,249)

Forfar Athletic 2-1 East Stirlingshire (393)

Montrose 4-1 Third Lanark (509)

Queen of the South 2-0 Clydebank (1,543)

Queen’s Park 2-1 Brechin City (1,224)

Double-headed attraction in Gorgie

There is a double-bill of friendly action at Tynecastle tonight as Hearts host the Czechoslovakian side Slovan Bratislava. Hailing from the chief city of Slovaks, they exited the opening round of the Mitropa Cup this season, and are currently engaged on a tour of Britain. Before the match Hearts youngsters host a Scottish Youth XI in what should be an exciting evening of soccer.

There is also friendly action at Kilbowie where Motherwell visit Clydebank.

Friendlies

Clydebank v Motherwell

Heart of Midlothian XI v Scottish Youth XI

Heart of Midlothian v Slovan Bratislava

Hearts not slovenly versus Slovan

Hearts delivered a notable victory over Czechoslovakian outfit Slovan Bratislava at Tynecastle last night. They scored three goals in the opening half-hour, with an Alan Gordon brace followed by a strike from Donald Ford. Jokl later gained a consolation for the visitors in the second half. Before the game, watched by 9,000, the Hearts youth lost 3-0 to a select XI.

Elsewhere there were four goals at Clydebank where the hosts drew 2-2 with Motherwell.

Friendlies

Clydebank 2-2 Motherwell

Heart of Midlothian XI 0-3 Scottish Youth XI

Heart of Midlothian 3-1 Slovan Bratislava

Rangers lose, Morton win friendlies

Rangers would have been in preparation for the Scottish Cup Second Round this midweek but after their capitulation at Berwick a brief tour of England provides some succour. It made a disappointing start at Stoke last night where the hosts won through 3-1. Morton demolished Cowdenbeath 6-1 in a domestic friendly at Cappielow.

On the continent Inter Milan won the highly-anticipated clash with Real Madrid. Rapid of Vienna defeated Bayern of Munich. Greece beat Libya.

European Cup - Third Round, First Leg

Inter Milan 1-0 Real Madrid (52,726)

European Cup-Winners’ Cup - Third Round, First Leg

Rapid Wien 1-0 Bayern Munich (43,825)

Friendlies

Greenock Morton 6-1 Cowdenbeath

Stoke City 3-1 Rangers

Friendly International

Greece 4-0 Libya

Mixed night for clubs down south

Several clubs not participating in the Scottish Cup travelled to England for friendlies last night but they experienced varied fortunes with results. Hearts had a very good evening at Deepdale where they won 3-0 against Preston North End. Dundee fought a hard encounter with Plymouth Argyle at Home Park but lost by the odd goal in five. Kilmarnock ventured to the Boleyn Ground, Upton Park but were unable to match an impressive West Ham United.

Friendlies

Plymouth Argyle 3-2 Dundee

Preston North End 0-3 Heart of Midlothian

West Ham United 2-0 Kilmarnock

33 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Cracking wee thread

It's brilliant.
Back in the day the Record always gave the attendance at every match.
Now I'm an auld git and my memories no as good as it should be but I remember reading in the Record the attendance at a Scottish cup tie in the 60's?

Rangers v Morton 104,000.
Was that the time that Morton had captured a boatload of Vikings?

There were also attendances of 116,000 and 120,000 but I cannae remember whit games they were.

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 17:35, HibeeJibee said:

Big scores as top sides go for goals

Aberdeen, Celtic and Motherwell struck big scorelines in the league earlier. In the game of the day Rangers won at Rugby Park, where guest of honour was visiting Soviet premier Kosygin, and in doing so kept pace with Celtic who won comfortably at Somerset Park. Chalmers hat-trick for Celtic was joined by efforts from Johnstone and Hughes. Wilson broke the deadlock for Rangers ten minutes after half-time and although McIlroy equalised on 72 minutes, Willoughby struck the winner four minutes later. Over 40,000 people attended these two games in Ayrshire. There was a very poor attendance at Tynecastle to see Hearts edge-out St Johnstone.

Heart of Midlothian 1-0 St Johnstone (5,897)

That couldn't be right - they must have missed out a "2" at the start of the attendance figure, surely?

14 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

It's brilliant.
Back in the day the Record always gave the attendance at every match.
Now I'm an auld git and my memories no as good as it should be but I remember reading in the Record the attendance at a Scottish cup tie in the 60's?

Rangers v Morton 104,000.
Was that the time that Morton had captured a boatload of Vikings?

There were also attendances of 116,000 and 120,000 but I cannae remember whit games they were.

Would that not have been the League Cup Final of 1964?**

There were attendances of well over 100,000 for Scottish Cup Finals back then, the Dons' finals of 1967 and 1970 were both over 100,000 IIRC.*

* 126,000 and 108,000 respectively, according to Wikipedia. I thought there were more than that at the 1970 final, but what were a couple of thousand fans back then? Now it would be an excellent attendance for half the league clubs!

** 1963 League Cup Final - 105,000+

6 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Would that not have been the League Cup Final of 1964?

There were attendances of well over 100,000 for Scottish Cup Finals back then, the Dons' finals of 1967 and 1970 were both over 100,000 IIRC.

Rangers v Morton F.C.   5-0
Date     26 October 1963
Venue  HampdenPark, Glasgow
Attendance       105,907

It could have been that but I'm almost certain it was at Ibrox and I can still see the number 104,000.

1 hour ago, Wee Willie said:

Rangers v Morton F.C.   5-0
Date     26 October 1963
Venue  HampdenPark, Glasgow
Attendance       105,907

It could have been that but I'm almost certain it was at Ibrox and I can still see the number 104,000.

what was the Ibrox capacity back then?

7 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

That couldn't be right - they must have missed out a "2" at the start of the attendance figure, surely?

Assume I'm getting whooshed here but no, that was the crowd - it's estimated in the papers as 7,000.

Morton have only ever played before 3 crowds over 100,000:

* 132,103 in the 1948 Scottish Cup Final replay v Rangers (on a Wednesday!!)
* 130,129 in the 1948 Scottish Cup Final v Rangers
* 105,907 in the 1963 League Cup Final v Rangers

Only on 4 occasions did Ibrox hold over 100,000 and those were v Celtic (1939 New Year derby), Celtic (1948 League Cup section decider), Hibs (1950 League decider), Hibs (1951 Scottish Cup R2).

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Assume I'm getting whooshed here but no, that was the crowd - it's estimated in the papers as 7,000.

Morton have only ever played before 3 crowds over 100,000:

* 132,103 in the 1948 Scottish Cup Final replay v Rangers (on a Wednesday!!)
* 130,129 in the 1948 Scottish Cup Final v Rangers
* 105,907 in the 1963 League Cup Final v Rangers

Only on 4 occasions did Ibrox hold over 100,000 and those were v Celtic (1939 New Year derby), Celtic (1948 League Cup section decider), Hibs (1950 League decider), Hibs (1951 Scottish Cup R2).

Thanks for the info.
My memory is clearly failing me.
But saying that how many teams in Scotland (except you know who) have played before 3 crowds over 100,000:
Even back in the day.

Well done Morton :thumsup2 

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

:lol: Assumption correct!

:thumsup2

2 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

But saying that how many teams in Scotland (except you know who) have played before 3 crowds over 100,000:
Even back in the day.

Rangers - 39
Celtic - 29
Aberdeen - 9
Hibs - 6
Kilmarnock, Motherwell - 5
Hearts, Morton, St Mirren - 3
Clyde, Dundee, Dunfermline, East Fife, Eintracht Frankfurt, Partick - 2
Leeds, Real Madrid - 1

40 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Rangers - 39
Celtic - 29
Aberdeen - 9
Hibs - 6
Kilmarnock, Motherwell - 5
Hearts, Morton, St Mirren - 3
Clyde, Dundee, Dunfermline, East Fife, Eintracht Frankfurt, Partick - 2
Leeds, Real Madrid - 1

Do you happen to have a list of the matches played in front of the 100,000 plus crowd?

Archived