Inside a Cult

ICTChris

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-b0af7ef5-1031-4e1f-a3ac-b3c21ef0f932

There's a BBC programme and article live about one of the captives kept by Aravindan Balakrishnan, a Marxist who kept a group of women around him for many years in a tiny London flat.  He used psychological manipulation to control the women, making bizarre threats and indoctrinating them with his ideology.  The article details the full nature of the bizarre lives lead in the flat and Balakrishnan's own twisted beliefs.  

It got me thinking about cults - do the people running them truly believe what they are saying or do they know, deep down that it's a con?  Balakirshnan was eventually convicted of sex offences - did he construct the bizarre living situation to allow him to carry out these crimes or did he carry them out because he believed what he taught his students/captives?  The implication is often made about people like Jim Jones and David Koresh that they used charm and manipulation to gain control over people and then abuse them (Koresh had sexual relations with many of his female followers and Jones was noted for molesting some male members of his congregation).  But in those cases both of them died when faced with justice - easy way out or did they really believe what they said?

Any P&Bers ever been involved with a cult?

ANy P&Bers ever been a cult leader and manipulated their position to get down and dirty with your followers?

Any P&Bers want to join me in worshiping the great god Galawadinho, I have a temple to him in my spare bedroom, although only open-minded females with big tits are allowed to attend services?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To answer your question.  I would imagine some of them are simply manipulative whilst others are insane.

I am a fairly closed minded* male with moobs but still wouldn't want to join you even if I fitted the criteria.

* Actually I am reasonably open minded.

I'd love to join a cult. No work, free meals, free accommodation and all I have to do is say "oh aye, when they End comes we'll show them" or some pish every time the leader is passing? When they inevitably partake in mass-suicide I'll f**k it up somehow and live to tell the tale. Nae bother.

The poster who immediately springs to mind when I think of someone being in a cult, is, for some reason, throbber. I don't know why. I just think he's the type that could be easily led and manipulated.

43 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I am a fairly closed minded* male with moobs but still wouldn't want to join you even if I fitted the criteria.

* Actually I am reasonably open minded.

Two out of three ain't bad.  Service starts at 6pm.

Don't drink the Kool Aid.

I've heard this a few times over the years and dismissed it as another stupid American phrase but recently discovered it's origins in the Jonestown Massacre. Fascinating.

I went out with a girl for a while who had been part of some religious cult in Australia. The leader was being charged with an immensely long list of offences but she had refused to testify against him due to intimidation from other members, which is what led to her leaving and coming back to Scotland. She  was originally from Dunfermline, so I assume she joined as a means of escaping the brutal realities of a life where you have little control over your environment and spend most of your time being drugged up or drunk and taking whatever attention you can beg, steal and borrow from clearly deranged and inadequate excuses for men.

The sex was tremendous, fwiw. I'm not sure what they teach them in those cults but it was worth the danger f**k for sure.

22 minutes ago, Rugster said:

The poster who immediately springs to mind when I think of someone being in a cult, is, for some reason, throbber. I don't know why. I just think he's the type that could be easily led and manipulated.

As has been said people who run cults are bad, manipulative individuals or those suffering from mental health issues.  Neither category deserve to be stuck with throbber.

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

As has been said people who run cults are bad, manipulative individuals or those suffering from mental health issues.  Neither category deserve to be stuck with throbber.

banana would fit right in.

I was in a cult. I was dragged to church for 14 years of my childhood.

I can understand how some get trapped in them. People at low points in their lives, looking for a better way. But what I'll never understand about them is how anyone can do some of the things asked. For example the Aum cult. At what point are you confident enough to ask your followers to release a deadly nerve gas onto the Tokyo underground?

Archived