Festivals 2017

MONKMAN

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Off to SXSW in three weeks. I don’t think I’m ever happier than spending a week in Texas watching live music 14 hours a day. Lee Bains III (who at this point might be my favourite live singer), The Blind Suns, Caleb Caudle and Superchunk are the ones I’m most stoked to see.

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2018 at 02:19, BallochSonsFan said:

End of the Road have knocked it out of the park again this year.

Line up looks absolutely outstanding.

It's terrific.  Stella Donnelly, right at the very bottom, is sensational, and the undercard is particularly strong.  

ETA: compare that to the Electric Fields undercard, and you can clearly see where one person knows how to curate and the other thinks all in on headliners is the way to go.

That Electric Fields lineup is ridiculously top heavy. Can only imagine that Noel Gallagher had a lot of the budget put on him.

Giving Rewind a go this year. Seems like a lot of fun with some singalong potential. Can't ask for much more than that I suppose.

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

It's terrific.  Stella Donnelly, right at the very bottom, is sensational, and the undercard is particularly strong.  

ETA: compare that to the Electric Fields undercard, and you can clearly see where one person knows how to curate and the other thinks all in on headliners is the way to go.

My choice of acts to see from this year's line up would be:

Feist, Ezra Furman, Jeff Tweedy, Oh Sees, Wild Billy Childish, Destroyer, This Is The Kit, The Posies, Julien Baker, Hiss Golden Messenger, Damien Jurado, Jim White, Colter Wall, Soccer Mommy, The Weather Stations, Caroline Spence, The Orielles, Screaming Females, Anna Burch and Red River Dialect.

Admittedly I've already seen some of them this year and I've got a ticket for Anna Burch next month.

It's the kind of festival that Connect could have been and that Scotland absolutely needs. Restrict the capacity to a sensible number. Hold it at an accessible venue. It would be a smash and a proper alternative to T/TRNSMT. It would attract a lot of people form the north of England too - easier travelling to somewhere in the central belt than for a lot of folk to travel down to Dorset.

*edit* will need to check Stella Donnelly out. There is some brilliant music being made down under right now.

My choice of acts to see from this year's line up would be:
Feist, Ezra Furman, Jeff Tweedy, Oh Sees, Wild Billy Childish, Destroyer, This Is The Kit, The Posies, Julien Baker, Hiss Golden Messenger, Damien Jurado, Jim White, Colter Wall, Soccer Mommy, The Weather Stations, Caroline Spence, The Orielles, Screaming Females, Anna Burch and Red River Dialect.
Admittedly I've already seen some of them this year and I've got a ticket for Anna Burch next month.
It's the kind of festival that Connect could have been and that Scotland absolutely needs. Restrict the capacity to a sensible number. Hold it at an accessible venue. It would be a smash and a proper alternative to T/TRNSMT. It would attract a lot of people form the north of England too - easier travelling to somewhere in the central belt than for a lot of folk to travel down to Dorset.
*edit* will need to check Stella Donnelly out. There is some brilliant music being made down under right now.

Frankly Stella Donnelly blows The Weather Station out of the water. Boys Will Be Boys is one of the most electrifying moments I’ve ever had at a gig.

Yeah. Green Man in Wales comes close, but that’s an absolute nightmare to get to. Festivals need to be getting lower key. Otherwise the just aren’t sustainable, as we saw with T in the Park in its original guise.

On 4/13/2018 at 11:44, Savage Henry said:

FYI  The Coachella Festival will be livestreamed this year on its youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/coachella

Coachella sounds fucking grim. It just seems to be a festival full of posing wankers, and you can't even have a pint while you watch a stage.

Just now, well fan for life said:

Coachella sounds fucking grim. It just seems to be a festival full of posing wankers, and you can't even have a pint while you watch a stage.

Can't you?  What's the reasoning there?   It looks insufferable, but there are plenty of good bands that we can watch from the comfort of our drawing rooms with the booze of our choosing!

Just now, Savage Henry said:

Can't you?  What's the reasoning there?   It looks insufferable, but there are plenty of good bands that we can watch from the comfort of our drawing rooms with the booze of our choosing!

You can drink in the festival, but only in designated drinking areas which are apparently not even close to the stage. 

Seems to be a festival for celebrities to post on their Instagram.

Just now, well fan for life said:

You can drink in the festival, but only in designated drinking areas which are apparently not even close to the stage. 

Seems to be a festival for celebrities to post on their Instagram.

Wow.  I used to go to the slightly more grown up version in San Francisco, but yeah, no booze at the stages is a deal breaker for me.  

Archived