Festivals 2017

MONKMAN

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Friday for me. Rag N Bone Man has looked decent on the TV ones, so might give him a bash, but kinda hoping that Be Charlotte clash with him so as I can see them instead.

Radiohead is one to tick off the "to do" list as well as Belle and Sebastian, and London Grammar were brilliant when I last seen them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Festival No. 6 will now have highlights shown on Sky Arts. That has been confirmed two days after they've said the day tickets go on sale on Friday, so the day splits will likely be out tomorrow or Friday.

I've got a feeling there's going to be a couple of big surprises on the lineup when that comes out. The last couple of years have had a third headliner so I'll assume that'll be one of them.

There's a few acts about at the time that I'd really like to see. Father John Misty, Jesus and Mary Chain, Band of Horses, Frightened Rabbit, Anna Meredith, British Sea Power, Manic Street Preachers, Maximo Park, The Wombats, Feeder, Elbow, Phoenix, Everything Everything, The Divine Comedy are all about and all pretty realistic I'd say. Although at the most I could see three of them added, and the likes of MSP and Elbow would need to be a fourth headliner. MSP aren't as likely because No 6 haven't had a repeat headliner yet.

Looks like they're not really adding anyone to the lineup of No 6, which is okay by me. Just means more time spent in Portmeirion than in the main arena, which is pretty good going.

The one bad thing to come out of the day splits is overlap between The Flaming Lips and Arab Strap. The Cribs and Bloc Party clashing as well, but that's easier due to me not having seen Bloc Party before, and REALLY disliking The Cribs when I seen them at T.

Charlotte Church's Late Night Pop Dungeon and Formation not got any clashes, and it's highly unlikely that Public Service Broadcasting will be up against anyone either. All good.

End of the Road is looking pretty great again this year. Sadly the money involved in getting there, staying somewhere (I'm too old for this camping nonsense) and the ticket costs mean that I'm not going. It's the cost of a trip to Mannheim for me and Die Adler just shade it.

But:

Friday:

Aaron Lee Tasjan, Shovels and Rope, Margaret Glaspy, Omni and Lucinda Williams.

Saturday:

John Moreland, Courtney Marie Andrews, Bill Ryder-Jones, The Burning Hell and Alvvays

Sunday:

Nadia Reid, Alison Crutchfield, Julia Jacklin, Waxahatchee and Bill Callahan 

Would be a pretty brilliant group of people to see at a festival. Thats a hell of a great line up.

Anyone been to Kendal Calling? Going to try out a few of the smaller festivals next year.

Worked at it this year and seemed a very cool festival that I'd consider visiting as a punter. Not the most mind bowing of lineups but very good atmosphere in general. Family friendly too which could be a good or bad thing depending on what you're looking for. Kids everywhere

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

All Points East pretty much nicking the lineups of all of the midsized to small festivals at the moment. Looks ridiculously good. Bjork, LCD Soundsystem and The xx headlining the first weekend and The National the only confirmed headliner for the second, but Nick Cave will probably be there.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Phoenix, Glass Animals, Lorde, Lykke Li, Phoenix, Beck, The War on Drugs, Future Islands, Warpaint and Father John Misty across the lineup and a load more.

That'll probably be similar to Download. Metallica likely to have pulled out of that btw. Would explain 30STM getting a push to a headline slot. Metallica have pulled out of all of their European festivals, whatever they might have been.

That'll probably be similar to Download. Metallica likely to have pulled out of that btw. Would explain 30STM getting a push to a headline slot. Metallica have pulled out of all of their European festivals, whatever they might have been.

Yeah, there's always a big crossover between the festivals. Download announcement expected in the next week, I can see Foo Fighters and Avenged Sevenfold as headliners.

On 7/30/2017 at 12:29, BallochSonsFan said:

End of the Road is looking pretty great again this year. Sadly the money involved in getting there, staying somewhere (I'm too old for this camping nonsense) and the ticket costs mean that I'm not going. It's the cost of a trip to Mannheim for me and Die Adler just shade it.

But:

Friday:

Aaron Lee Tasjan, Shovels and Rope, Margaret Glaspy, Omni and Lucinda Williams.

Saturday:

John Moreland, Courtney Marie Andrews, Bill Ryder-Jones, The Burning Hell and Alvvays

Sunday:

Nadia Reid, Alison Crutchfield, Julia Jacklin, Waxahatchee and Bill Callahan 

Would be a pretty brilliant group of people to see at a festival. Thats a hell of a great line up.

It was indeed excellent, despite the rain on the Sunday. Of the ones you mentioned there, Aaron Lee Tasjan, The Burning Hell and Alvvays were very good. So were Parquet Courts, Car Seat Headrest and Deerhoof.

(Did you catch The Burning Hell on their subsequent Scottish tour with Jeffrey Lewis?)

• 1 month later...

Archived