Uefa nations league

Bambino7

On 09/03/2017 at 13:29, Bully Wee Villa said:

It won't be hosted "at the moment". Lots can change in a decade or so. I do think those concerns will swing the vote for Germany, though.

True, but the fact lots can change makes it more likely they'll swing to Germany. Five years ago we were just coming up to Poland/Ukraine, no one would have dreamt there would be a potential security issue over a UEFA host and the tournament did go well - less than two years later Ukraine had a revolution and a civil war. That sign of how quickly instability can come is surely going to drive them back towards countries seen as a safe pair of hands. Hopefully that doesn't just mean a constant rotation of the big Western European countries.

• 10 months later...

Draw today, just seen how if you were top of the unqualified teams in pot b and pot a were one short for the four team play offs you’d be put in there, definitely leaves itself open to skullduggery but guess we will just have to see how it goes. Likewise you could miss out on euros by gd for example but if you’ve done shit in this you’d be out whilst a team finishing bottom of euro qualifying who done ok in the nations could still make it, is that right?

Draw today, just seen how if you were top of the unqualified teams in pot b and pot a were one short for the four team play offs you’d be put in there, definitely leaves itself open to skullduggery but guess we will just have to see how it goes. Likewise you could miss out on euros by gd for example but if you’ve done shit in this you’d be out whilst a team finishing bottom of euro qualifying who done ok in the nations could still make it, is that right?
Could be wrong, but I think it's the next unqualified team in a division that's moved up rather than the best (i.e. the 5th than in Div B would move up).

Second point, yeah, but everyone knows that before the start.

There's a few good looking ties In League A and B. C and D are pretty average at best. Scotland have a good chance of promotion. League B would more entertaining to be In so hopefully we get promoted.

League A relegation:

Holland, Iceland, Poland and England are more appealing trips away and at home than group C's.

I may be in the minority here, but I'm looking forward to this.

One of the things that makes international football so boring is the disparity in quality between groups. For example, look how many big teams just march through groups picking up close to full points. Utterly dull. I think some competitive games involving well-matched teams could be just what the doctor ordered.

This should be good news all round. Teams will get the chance to actually improve by playing four or six games against sides of similar quality in a relatively short period. Much more useful to a side like Scotland than playing San Marino in February followed by Spain in March as preparation for playing Lithuania in September.

Of particular interest is the lowest division. I think it'll be great to see the teams who traditionally get gubbed all the time having real matches where they might actually get to play some football. I'd be interested in going to watch some of these games.

It's also not nearly as complicated as people are making out. A few minutes' online reading explains it and while it's more complicated than what went before, it's not exactly rocket science. Obviously it's been designed mainly with money in mind, but I still think it's a good idea which should provide footballing benefits for teams at all levels of the ladder through being able to consistently play at their level and also gives fans something much better than pointless friendlies.

Edited by JTS98

5 hours ago, JTS98 said:

I may be in the minority here, but I'm looking forward to this.

One of the things that makes international football so boring is the disparity in quality between groups. For example, look how many big teams just march through groups picking up close to full points. Utterly dull. I think some competitive games involving well-matched teams could be just what the doctor ordered.

This should be good news all round. Teams will get the chance to actually improve by playing four or six games against sides of similar quality in a relatively short period. Much more useful to a side like Scotland than playing San Marino in February followed by Spain in March as preparation for playing Lithuania in September.

Of particular interest is the lowest division. I think it'll be great to see the teams who traditionally get gubbed all the time having real matches where they might actually get to play some football. I'd be interested in going to watch some of these games.

It's also not nearly as complicated as people are making out. A few minutes' online reading explains it and while it's more complicated than what went before, it's not exactly rocket science. Obviously it's been designed mainly with money in mind, but I still think it's a good idea which should provide footballing benefits for teams at all levels of the ladder through being able to consistently play at their level and also gives fans something much better than pointless friendlies.

I am looking forward to it as well, mostly for the same reasons that you listed. Its already more interesting since we will be playing Israel and Albania whom we haven't played in about 20 years (Israel) or at all (Albania). Looking forward to not seeing us play Lithuania once again.

Edited by Jambomo

On 24/01/2018 at 08:09, Donathan said:

UEFA fudging it to stop cold weather teams getting drawn together is a bit tinpot really

If there were three teams with bad winter weather in the same group, then at least one of them would need to have a home game in November.  That would lead to an increased risk of a postponement, which would completely f**k up the entire international schedule, since there wouldn't be an available date to replay it before the proper qualifying starts.

marvellous competition - anything involving the likes of san marino and the faroes in properly competitive matches has to be a good thing; now - do it properly and re-format the thing without the "top" nations and use it as a pre-qualifying tournament for the EC and WC  qualifying-proper, which would at least stop England tipping up at tournaments on the back of nineteen consecutive wins with a +58 goal difference only to go out after three 0-0 draws and a defeat to Burkina Faso...

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...