Albion Rovers vs Alloa

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, pencils said:

We bet Brechin in his first game

Yep but have only beaten the bottom two since, and one of those was lucky. He inherited a squad that set a club record for consecutive wins and has turned that form on it's head. Should have kept him as a player and actually looked for a manager. 

What a difference a half time break makes. Thought we looked ok for the first 15 minutes or so then fell out of the game a bit. Alloa enjoyed the better of the rest of the half, although Mick Dunlop had a great chance deflected over the bar minutes before Alloa scored. As for the goal I was in the queue at the pie shop so missed the build up, as I turned to face the pitch the ball hit the back of the net. I must admit I feared the worst when the players were going in for half time as the heads were down.

Second half we played some really nice stuff, that's the best I've seen us play down the left in a while, with Kyle Turnbull and young Theo Archibald linking up well. I thought Kyle had his best game in ages. Good ball into the box from Theo for the equaliser, excellent awareness from Ross Stewart to nip across the keeper and turn it into the net. For the rest of the game we pressed well and tried to get balls into the box but no end result. On that note while Willis, Davidson and McBride can't be faulted for effort, there seems to be something missing between them in terms of end product. Surely Callum Ferguson deserves another run in the first team.

Yep but have only beaten the bottom two since, and one of those was lucky. He inherited a squad that set a club record for consecutive wins and has turned that form on it's head. Should have kept him as a player and actually looked for a manager. 

The form was turning a few games before jack left though, we could only play 1 way with jack aswell theres never a plan b.

I do agree with you about the manager but who would you have wanted that would have done anything different??

Strikers don't cost you points. They should win you them, he hasn't done that recently. If Goodwin is going to have consistency with his players then he has to be fair across the board.
Also, Flannigan not getting on today was a shocker.

You didnt say what you wanted it changed to??

The whole midfield had a good game imo, so yet again put him on for who?

Put Stef upfront for a week or two, try the new boy MacKin. We have the options up front. Spence hasn't hit the heights he's capable off & if Marr had to sit out then so should he.

We created very little second half. Flannigan is one of our most creative midfielders to leave him on the bench is crazy - Holmes off or Kirky off.

Stef isnt a striker as previously said, he done nothing second half, to start mackin over spence would be very unfair.

I'm a big kirky fan, i think he scores more than flanny so deserves his place, holmes was in holding midfield.

We played really well first half controlling the game, second half we were poor i thought. Anybody could have been substituted but i didnt think jamma deserved to come off in a defensive move I thought.

Good game. Rovers should have scored in the early phase, Wasps scored against run of play, but could have had another before Rovers rallied and could have won it late on. Two good teams giving it their all. Rovers MoM went to the new loanee, theo Archibald; I'd have chosen Ross Striker Stewart! with honourable mention for the division's best ball boy, wee Ciaran Snuffleupagus who took another sore one for the team but dusted himself down and got on with his job! Fair play to the Alloa player who checked Ciaran was ok.

Good game. Rovers should have scored in the early phase, Wasps scored against run of play, but could have had another before Rovers rallied and could have won it late on. Two good teams giving it their all. Rovers MoM went to the new loanee, theo Archibald; I'd have chosen Ross Striker Stewart! with honourable mention for the division's best ball boy, wee Ciaran Snuffleupagus who took another sore one for the team but dusted himself down and got on with his job! Fair play to the Alloa player who checked Ciaran was ok.

The boy ross stewart up top threatened us all day long, hes some player..had a look at where he had come from aswell, i thought he was from a premier league club on loan to yourselves, you'll do well to hold on to him.

23 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

wee Ciaran Snuffleupagus who took another sore one for the team but dusted himself down and got on with his job! Fair play to the Alloa player who checked Ciaran was ok.

Yeah, I thought he'd got a right sore one, but when I went down the tunnel I found he'd only went in search of a radiator to dry his jacket. Talk about having the run of the place :lol:

Good on the Alloa player for picking him up too and checking he was alright. It was a total accident, and these things happen, but I've seen players show no concern for those on the track when that sort of thing has occurred in the past.

To the game, and I though we edged it especially in the second half. I note praise for big Ross Stewart from one of the Alloa guys above, and I have to agree he was excellent, not only in taking the goal well but in being the fulcrum of the attack for the entire 90 mins. The young Celtic player was decent too and didn't seem phased by the blood and snotters of League 1. 

Just now, Marshmallo said:

I take it Ross Stewart is looking a class act? Saw him for Kilwinning a couple of times last season and was very impressed. I could see him going on to play in the top flight.

Yeah. He's not quite there in terms of consistency yet, and Rovers haven't helped by putting him out wide right on occasion, but there's real talent there, no doubt. 

I'd like to think we'd get another season out him for giving him a chance, but longer term, I agree that he will play at a higher level.

I note praise for big Ross Stewart from one of the Alloa guys above, and I have to agree he was excellent, not only in taking the goal well but in being the fulcrum of the attack for the entire 90 mins.

Credit where credit is due mate, he was my best player on the park, noticed him in all 3 of our games he has a very good attitude..great movement and always finds himself in the right places.

2 minutes ago, holsten said:

how did young alloa keeper do ?

Pretty well, I'd say, although he didn't have a lot of saves to make. Ross Stewart got in front of him for the goal, but I think the lack of a covering defender was more of an issue for the Wasps. One excellent piece of keeping when he charged out to the edge of his box to go up with the heavyweights to punch clear.

Archived