Fine companies for sexist dress codes

ICTChris

12 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Anyway, when you actually grow up a bit there are occasions outside the office when it's quite useful to have a selection of suits/shirts/ties - weddings, christenings, funerals, the theatre, fancy restaurants etc, you know, adult life, life beyond the hoodie...

This chimes with me - I've worked in a 'dress down' environment for the last 16 years or so, so jeans, trainers and a t-shirt it is.  And being essentially of a scruffy nature, on the rare occasions I get a night out, that's pretty much what I turn up in to.

I have one pair of smart trousers and a dark shirt, which is my funeral outfit, and would have to double as a christening outfit if I got invited to one.  I have my own kilt ooutfit that I use for weddings.

If I ever go for another job, I'd have to buy an entire outfit, just for the interview.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

A dress code is not ASKING people anything. It's TELLING them. Try ignoring the dress code and see how long you last.

The fact that you can choose a specific shirt or tie is irrelevant. What about those who weant the freedom to choose to wear no tie? Dress codes are a control method imposed by poor management. If you treat staff like drones then you will get drones.

As for your sentence in bold, we are talking about the workplace here and you are wittering on about funerals and the theatre. Either focus on the conversation or go talk to someone else.

Oh and and don't assume I am younger than you.

I'm sorry, but  :lol:

You want the "freedom" to choose to wear what you want at work? Fine - find a job where it is not a requirement of the people paying the wages & therefore setting their terms & conditions as allowed within the law.

19 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

A dress code is not ASKING people anything. It's TELLING them. Try ignoring the dress code and see how long you last.

The fact that you can choose a specific shirt or tie is irrelevant. What about those who weant the freedom to choose to wear no tie? Dress codes are a control method imposed by poor management. If you treat staff like drones then you will get drones.

As for your sentence in bold, we are talking about the workplace here and you are wittering on about funerals and the theatre. Either focus on the conversation or go talk to someone else.

images.jpeg

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Your argument is ridiculous.  It's like saying "I'm not wearing any clothes cos society is imposing a standard of public dress on me that is a control on my freedom".  Therefore its fine to have a bunch of fat, sweaty, hairy naked people in the office.

Oh and having a job, unless you are the boss, involves a lot of people telling you what to do.  You know that's the whole reason you are getting paid. 

"You are TELLING me to come in at 9 and leave at 5?  Poor management!  You are imposing a control method on me that I will not accept!"  or "Are you TELLING me to to do my accounts?  Poor management! You are imposing a control method on me that I will not accept!"  Aye, right.

You know what?  I have a lot more choice in my clothes than I do following FCA regulations. Here's the deal, if you don't like the terms and conditions of the job you don't take it.  I'm not jumping through hoops for people but if all an employer wants from me is to wear a shirt and trousers I'll take the £20,000 thanks.

You sound like Rick off the Young Ones.

The 9-5 without reason is stupid and actually bad for business. Dress code, you can't do anything about it unless it's unsafe or discriminatory.

Always found it odd that call centre workers had to wear shirts and ties though. It's quite hard to see down a telephone line tbh.

9 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Always found it odd that call centre workers had to wear shirts and ties though. It's quite hard to see down a telephone line tbh.

While I totally agree with your logic, I used to work for a call centre which were shirt & tie, but had a dress down day one day per month.  And pretty much every month the casual day was the worst sales day of the month.  It was as if the staff, mentally, took it easier that day (whether deliberately or not).  The change in dress made the difference.

However if the rule was dress down every day, staff would make that subliminal distinction, and performance would be consistent.  probably.

1 minute ago, Boghead ranter said:

While I totally agree with your logic, I used to work for a call centre which were shirt & tie, but had a dress down day one day per month.  And pretty much every month the casual day was the worst sales day of the month.  It was as if the staff, mentally, took it easier that day (whether deliberately or not).  The change in dress made the difference.

However if the rule was dress down every day, staff would make that subliminal distinction, and performance would be consistent.  probably.

They wouldn't want you to be consistent: they'd want you to be good.

8 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Upset? Am I? What makes you think that? This is a forum where people post a range of views. I dont see a single person on this thread upset or angry. Why not join in instead of posting this tedious and childish "why are you upset" nonsense?

"Upset? Am I? What makes you think that?"

Hmmm, maybe it's the inappropriate aggressiveness?

On 26/01/2017 at 10:29, oaksoft said:

You reckon it's a good thing for grown adults to be told what to wear?

Do you really need to be told?

On 26/01/2017 at 18:42, oaksoft said:

We are not at work to "look good" FFS. We are at work to work.

Anyway since when was it the duty of men to tell women what size of heel was "comfortable enough"?

And that bit in bold is the exact reason why "smart shoes" should not be forced on grown adults - they are simply uncomfortable.

Your attitude is very 1970's.

On 27/01/2017 at 14:12, oaksoft said:

On 27/01/2017 at 21:40, oaksoft said:

Not wanting to wear a tie is EXACTLY the same thing as wanting to turn up naked. :rolleyes:

...forcing your staff to work 9-5 without a good reason (and there are rarely good reason) is poor management and your best staff will tolerate it until they find a 21st century work environment.

A bit OTT, yes?

Albeit in a "Let's stick it to the fascist parents!" sort of way.

I've never worked anywhere where there was a dress code. When I started out working it was understood you wore a shirt and tie and a jacket ( the partners wore suits), I can't remember what the secretaries wore, they may have worn jeans, AFAIK they weren't asked to wear high heels, can't even remember if they did. Other "professionals", especially the older generation were similarly attired, although architects seemed to be given a bit more license in their choice of attire, a sop to their artistic temperament, I suppose.

Building contractors often wore a jacket, shirt and tie, too, unless they were working on site, clerks of works were also jacketed (usually with an array of different coloured biros in the breast pocket).

Over the years this has become more relaxed, very few now wear shirts and ties never mind jackets/suits. The last office I worked no one wore a tie, fairly relaxed dress code, even meetings weren't dressed up for. I had to go to the head office in London once and I put on a suit - my choice.

Currently stick a tie on most days, usually wear a jumper and shirt, trousers and "proper" shoes. Office manager/accounts manager is a girl and she wears a jumper, trousers and flat shoes usually.

The owner of the business doesn't wear a tie, just a jacket, shirt and trousers/jeans.

At no time has a work colleague/myself been sent home for incorrect dress/personal hygiene reasons (although I worked with a fellow who maybe should have been for the second reason).

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

I've never worked anywhere where there was a dress code. When I started out working it was understood you wore a shirt and tie and a jacket ( the partners wore suits), I can't remember what the secretaries wore, they may have worn jeans, AFAIK they weren't asked to wear high heels, can't even remember if they did. Other "professionals", especially the older generation were similarly attired, although architects seemed to be given a bit more license in their choice of attire, a sop to their artistic temperament, I suppose.

Building contractors often wore a jacket, shirt and tie, too, unless they were working on site, clerks of works were also jacketed (usually with an array of different coloured biros in the breast pocket).

Over the years this has become more relaxed, very few now wear shirts and ties never mind jackets/suits. The last office I worked no one wore a tie, fairly relaxed dress code, even meetings weren't dressed up for. I had to go to the head office in London once and I put on a suit - my choice.

Currently stick a tie on most days, usually wear a jumper and shirt, trousers and "proper" shoes. Office manager/accounts manager is a girl and she wears a jumper, trousers and flat shoes usually.

The owner of the business doesn't wear a tie, just a jacket, shirt and trousers/jeans.

At no time has a work colleague/myself been sent home for incorrect dress/personal hygiene reasons (although I worked with a fellow who maybe should have been for the second reason).

One architect that worked with us married an American and from thereon strutted about in cowboy boots at work, this was probably to do with him being a short arse and the boots having a stacked heel than him being a bit zany mind.

I'm fortunate in that I haven't had a dress code to adhere to in the last 10 - 15 years. When I did have a dress code it was mostly to dress smartly rather than having anyone say you must wear x item. I had no problem with that but f**k wearing heels or a skirt for anyone.

Slightly torn on the issue tbf.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/people/donald-trumps-directive-female-staff-should-dress-like-women/

For all sorts of entirely correct reasons this of course isn't quite right. But I do like a well dressed woman ( as I suspect do many). Are we entirely with Donald on this issue? I suspect not.

But be selfish and pick an either/or for your workplace. Fitties that look a million dollars or something else?

If your workplace is wall to wall blurt then surely you'd up your own game too ? Everyone raises the bar and everyone wins? No?

On 1/29/2017 at 21:26, Jambomo said:

I'm fortunate in that I haven't had a dress code to adhere to in the last 10 - 15 years. When I did have a dress code it was mostly to dress smartly rather than having anyone say you must wear x item. I had no problem with that but f**k wearing heels or a skirt for anyone.

I've had to write dress codes twice - in the late 80s and early 90s - Both were for IT companies when image was important.  It was easy for blokes.  Dark suit, light shirt, contrasting ties and colour-appropriate shoes.  Writing it for women was a minefield.  Thankfully I avoided the heels/skirt shibboleth.

When I was serving my sentence in a Call Center, the company decided it would be a good idea to introduce a dress code. Not a bad idea in itself - it was like walking into the bar from Star Wars on some days. However get this - they came up with the bright idea of having the employees form a committee to draft it. I made sure to be hiding under my desk when they came looking for volunteers and thus, avoided being sucked into the vortex but I did give the poor saddos some advice before they started.

"Keep it as simple as possible."

But would they listen? Nope. Instead they attempted to come up with a definitive list of what was and was not acceptable. Naturally, the remaining employees took a delight in trying to circumvent the rules. "Ah, but you didn't say I can't wear Speedos and a sombrero." etc. So then they would rewrite the dress code to exclude Speedos and sombreros. By the time I was released, I think the dress code was up to about 5 pages long.

15 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Slightly torn on the issue tbf.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/people/donald-trumps-directive-female-staff-should-dress-like-women/

For all sorts of entirely correct reasons this of course isn't quite right. But I do like a well dressed woman ( as I suspect do many). Are we entirely with Donald on this issue? I suspect not.

But be selfish and pick an either/or for your workplace. Fitties that look a million dollars or something else?

If your workplace is wall to wall blurt then surely you'd up your own game too ? Everyone raises the bar and everyone wins? No?

So are on any register yet?

Archived