Fine companies for sexist dress codes

ICTChris

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

On the subject of short sleeve shirts, I think they look woeful and seem to be worn solely by creeps. There's a guy in here who wears a white short sleeve shirt with a white t-shirt on underneath it, he's definitely for the watching.

Generally speaking I can't wear long sleeves. If I wear a jumper or a normal shirt then I have to have the sleeves rolled up. I feel claustrophobic otherwise, and generally end up too f*cking hot too, especially in the summer here. I'll settle for being for the watching.

ETA: Would never wear a short sleeved shirt with a tie. That's too far.

No real dress code at my work. Expected to be professional but I'm usually just trousers and a polo shirt. Not arsing about with shirts and ties.
I used to work for a company who provided shirts to wear, fair enough. They tried to implement ties and failed miserably when nobody bothered.
Also, there's been a couple of mentions of Mr Brian Taylor, take a look at the boys ridiculously tiny hands next time he's on. Best part of the news.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

The tie comparison seems fair enough, but only if referring to situations where men are told to wear one thing and women are not, as that can be perceived to be sexist. Slight headache though if women have to wear skirts, perhaps this is why the kilt was invented?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-13362700

Shirt and smart trousers.Generally wear a tie if we have "important" meetings with clients or HR etc.

Don't mind think it's professional to get dressed up to go to work.

Requiring women to wear high heals in this day and age is absolutely ridiculous and is undoubtedly sexist. As well as a safety risk is someone falls down stairs etc.

These employment practices need to be stamped out as they belong in a world where the owner invites his secretary in and pinches her bum. 

I'd rather a job that requires a paper hat than wear a short sleeved shirt to work. Have a word with yourself jmo.

I'm not a big fan of wearing ties either, luckily don't really ever need one for work apart from the odd event. The folk trying to compare ties and high heels though :lol:

6 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

VT wears high heels in his office. Other than that, unsure.

boxoffice.jpg

He ought to have sued Moneysupermarket for pinching his ideas for their adverts.

As for office dress codes, what a joke. Everywhere I've been, the women get to wear whatever they like at work so long as it's not too OTT.

4 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

It's up there with wearing pyjamas to do the school run/shopping.

I saw someone in pyjamas and dressing gown taking money out of the hole in the wall this morning. Don't know if they then proceeded to go into the shop to buy their groceries as I had to keep driving, being halfway across a roundabout at the time.

1 hour ago, jessmagic said:

Shirt and smart trousers.Generally wear a tie if we have "important" meetings with clients or HR etc.

Don't mind think it's professional to get dressed up to go to work.

Requiring women to wear high heals in this day and age is absolutely ridiculous and is undoubtedly sexist. As well as a safety risk is someone falls down stairs etc.

These employment practices need to be stamped out as they belong in a world where the owner invites his secretary in and pinches her bum. 

^^^wishes-he-was-in-the-world-where-he-is-the-owner-type-post

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

On the subject of short sleeve shirts, I think they look woeful and seem to be worn solely by creeps. There's a guy in here who wears a white short sleeve shirt with a white t-shirt on underneath it, he's definitely for the watching.

I hope all this hostility doesn't mean I'll have to throw out my Ben Sherman collection. Agree about the t-shirt thing though.

31 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Definitely! There was a phase where some dafties in my work were wearing white tshirts under the black uniform because thats what the LAPD do, it looked ridiculous and they were rightly slagged til they cried.

Good thing too (that they were slagged). If they'd been allowed to carry on pretending to be the LAPD they might have started shooting black customers.

Formal short sleeve shirts tend to be weird, but casual short sleeve shirts are far better than long sleeve ones I think. I tend to roll up the sleeves on long sleeved shirts when not at work.

A short sleeve casual shirt with smartish trousers would be my ideal. Smart but not ott and would do away with the utterly pointless tie.

My last job specified that men had to wear trousers. I always wonder what incident made HR decide they had to actually specify that. Women had the option of trousers, skirt or dress.

Tie are ludicrous things.

f**k dress codes. I hate them. At work I wear a £6 Asda polo shirt and £10 Primark trousers with shoes I got in Deichmann for £20.

On the rare occasion that we can wear what we like for any reason it's not a 'dress down' day for me in that what I wear will always be better quality than my usual work attire.

Frankly I just want to wear whatever I want to work (which most days would be jeans, trainers and a t-shirt and/or hoodie).

Do most folk genuinely care if for example a shelf stacker in Asda wore trainers instead of shoes, or if the person they phoned up in a call centre wasn't wearing a shirt and tie?

Dress codes and the attitudes driving them need to take themselves to f**k.

1 hour ago, jmothecat said:

Formal short sleeve shirts tend to be weird, but casual short sleeve shirts are far better than long sleeve ones I think. I tend to roll up the sleeves on long sleeved shirts when not at work.

A short sleeve casual shirt with smartish trousers would be my ideal. Smart but not ott and would do away with the utterly pointless tie.

My last job specified that men had to wear trousers. I always wonder what incident made HR decide they had to actually specify that. Women had the option of trousers, skirt or dress.

Short sleeved shirt? are you in primary 5?

Archived