The Rovers v The Sons

I have to say that I thought Andy Stirling was absolutely outstanding against us last week and I see from your comments that he has played well again.

For me Stirling is the best wide player that I have seen this season.

Is Stirling the number 22? He was excellent today.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Martin Nelson said:

Based on that I'm surprised he didn't do better at Dunfermline.

He was also at St Mirren early in his career too, took him a wee while to get going with us, he was a sub a lot of the time this season. Really came onto a game now though, not afraid to run at defences.

A joy to watch just now

Can only echo what everyone else has said. I felt that was 3 going on 6 for us today. With a competent ref we probably would have won 4 or 5 nil.

Northcroft really did pull some baffling decisions out the bag today. Apart from the obvious ones in the lead up to the Raith goal (which was well finished - the only thing Raith really done all game) and the penalty which looked an absolute stonewaller...

I can't remember a Raith player getting booked (?) when I genuinely thought there was a possible 3 or 4. Consistency isn't a lot to ask for, but Thommo went down later in the game in the Raith area and he waved it away, but didn't give a free kick and a booking to him. Exact same situation as earlier with Stirling. Finally, some of the guess work between him and the lino at the far end from where we were was just ridiculous.

Every one of our players was great today. Stirling again was brilliant until 5/10 mins before he went off. The only thing missing for him in the last 5/6 weeks is a couple of goals. Nade was much better at holding the ball up today, although we aided that greatly by actually playing it into his feet more often than punting it to his head.

Gary Locke really has turned what was a very decent side into a shambles who look like they certainly will be in a relegation battle if things don't change soon.

At the time, I didn't appreciate how good the first goal was. Excellent work from Harvie and a great header by Nade. Also didn't realise the deflection on Harvie's goal but we have had plenty go against us this season (even in the last few weeks) so I will take a wee break here and there.

The defending was the last goal was as bad as you will see. How the ball got through I don't know. Furthermore, Bucky was unmarked and had time and space to side foot the ball in. Nice and composed finish, especially for a centre half. But dreadful defending.

Otherwise I stand by my thoughts during the game. Actually, the Thommo dive was terrible and should definitely have been a booking, worse than I thought at the time.

8 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I know he was only on for about 7 minutes - but there was something I really liked about Tom Lang. That's the first time I've seen him, and he looked incredibly confident and assured for a guy with about 10 minutes of senior experience under his belt. He just seemed to cut about with a bit of arrogance that he was completely in control and knew exactly what he was doing - the only other young player I can remember giving me that feeling was Stuart Findlay.

If he could be half as good as he was he'll be an outstanding player at this level.

Said to BBPF yesterday that Lang has an air of nutter about him. He charges around the park smashing everything. Ideal player to bring on and see a game out.

Good highlights as per usual from us. Great save from Alan Martin in the first half with his legs, great reactions. Looks to be a certain foul on Bucky for Raiths goal. Still think Stirling is caught and it's a penalty, perhaps it's the way he goes down that makes the ref think he's dived but he's absolutely taken the Rovers player out the game and has a shot at goal - he'd be crazy to dive there.

Martin had about 3 saves to make all game, 2 of those were routine. At the other end we created a good number of chances, Stanton, Thommo and Stirling all linked well with Nade. Great stuff. Stevie has a headache fitting Vaughan and Fleming back into that team.

We actually look even better on the highlights than I thought at the time. Some lovely link up play between Nadé and the three behind him, and Stanton and Stirling are both wonderful to watch at the moment.

Only watched it once, but the foul on Buchanan and the penalty look like pretty clear mistakes by Northcroft. I'm just glad it didn't cost us like his call earlier in the season at Cappielow.

That header by Nadé is absolutely sublime.

Just watched the SonsTV coverage - great performance from the team. Night and day from the negative stuff earlier in the season. Have to give credit to Stevie Aitken there.

Also great coverage on SonsTV - shows up how we are shortchanged by our national broadcaster.

Great coverage as always, well done to those involved.

Great save by Alan Martin in the first half, I didn't realise how good it was at the time. Going the wrong way and saving with his legs, a top stop.

For the Raith goal, it's as much a foul on Buchanan now in the highlights as it was real-time yesterday. And it'll be the same every time you see it, it's a foul every day of the week. A serious blunder by Northcroft and his pal there.

Some really good play from us going forward, Stanton and Stirling in particular.

What I was also impressed with yesterday and on seeing the highlights that even late, late into the game we pressured Raith at every turn and didn't let them settle on the ball which was great to see. So much effort and dedication despite having expended so much over the ninety minutes in what were dire conditions.

Well Done to the lads and Stevie and Ian. Great win.

9 hours ago, squeezeboxson said:

At the time, I didn't appreciate how good the first goal was. Excellent work from Harvie and a great header by Nade. Also didn't realise the deflection on Harvie's goal but we have had plenty go against us this season (even in the last few weeks) so I will take a wee break here and there.

The defending was the last goal was as bad as you will see. How the ball got through I don't know. Furthermore, Bucky was unmarked and had time and space to side foot the ball in. Nice and composed finish, especially for a centre half. But dreadful defending.

Otherwise I stand by my thoughts during the game. Actually, the Thommo dive was terrible and should definitely have been a booking, worse than I thought at the time.

Rovers' video:

Great coverage from David as usual. What about our passing going forward? A joy to watch in what looked like tricky conditions. Two starts for Nade with two goals resulting. He makes a huge difference. I hope his injury isn't too serious. Ian Durrant confined to cliches but saying all the right things. You can tell he's delighted to be back in the game and that he is a real football guy.

3 hours ago, Beachbum said:

What a total cock up by Hardie at the front post for the third goal. 

Indeed. I sometimes wonder why we don't just keep our forwards...well...forward, while defending corners at our end.

Unless they're absolutely phenomenal at heading the ball, I'd rather have strikers up the park - therefore keeping another Dumbarton player further back to mark him.

Archived