Roadside sculptures in a modern Scotland.

We live in an age of increased car use, yet councils would rather sculpt horse heads from steel, than built a medium sized Little Chef with toilet bloc and kids park for the hard pressed motorist on the M9.   Did you know the motorist has less service stations per head of population than in 1983?   Absolute bon-kers!  

Naff Steel animals are sadly the future.   Dunbar are getting a steel bear from the same fool who created an accident black spot on the M9.   

http://www.eastlothiancourier.com/news/15011799.Kelpies_artist_set_to_create_giant_bear_sculpture_at_Dunbar/?ref=mrb&lp=2

So if Falkirk got a two horses and Dunbar got a bear.    Let's through it open to P & B to name a town and what 'artist'  Andy Scott would build for this town ?  

My Dad designed the two red bridges over the A80, now M80, in Cumbernauld.

I'd have them dotted everywhere and hopefully get a cut along the line somewhere.

I do like the, as said before, loose woman on the M80. Quite impressive when lit up.

I once got refused service in a restaurant in Carlisle by a complete cnut. So a recreation of this scene in Braveheart, as high as the Kelpies, just on the border at the M74 facing Carlisle would do me. 

braveheart 2.jpg

I quite like the new metal leaping salmon coming into Fochabers by the Spey.

Probably goes without saying that the world's largest sheep should have been incorporated into the new AWPR project from the start, ideally on the Aberdeen city-shire border.

11 hours ago, Pearbuyerbell said:

We live in an age of increased car use, yet councils would rather sculpt horse heads from steel, than built a medium sized Little Chef with toilet bloc and kids park for the hard pressed motorist on the M9.   Did you know the motorist has less service stations per head of population than in 1983?   Absolute bon-kers!  

Naff Steel animals are sadly the future.   Dunbar are getting a steel bear from the same fool who created an accident black spot on the M9.   

http://www.eastlothiancourier.com/news/15011799.Kelpies_artist_set_to_create_giant_bear_sculpture_at_Dunbar/?ref=mrb&lp=2

So if Falkirk got a two horses and Dunbar got a bear.    Let's through it open to P & B to name a town and what 'artist'  Andy Scott would build for this town ?  

Andy Scott has already said he wants to give us a 50ft bull 

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/former-council-bosss-hopes-for-50ft-bull-statue1/

In fact the AWPR is to become the 'SCULPTURE ROAD', with this effort where it ends at Blackdog at the North Sea,

by EE Reporter, 6 Jan 2016 11:46

The Herring Drifter, designed by David Harber

Proposed sculpture near Aberdeen bypass could be ‘a tourist draw’

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

A LEADING councillor said today Aberdeen’s bypass could become Scotland’s “sculpture road”.

Lib Dem group leader Ian Yuill welcomed a proposal – revealed in yesterday’s Evening Express – from land owner Colin Tawse for a “Herring Drifter” sculpture near the route at Blackdog.

Last autumn he urged the city council to investigate the feasibility of installing a major artwork alongside the bypass, due to be built by 2018.

He said: “Whilst this site is in Aberdeenshire, and not Aberdeen itself, I am delighted that Colin Tawse has taken the initiative in developing this exciting proposal.

“He deserves congratulations for having the vision to do so.

“There is no reason why there can’t be more than one major sculpture along the Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route.

“Perhaps the AWPR could become Scotland’s ‘sculpture road’ and provide a cultural and tourism boost to the North-east – as well as improving our transport links.”

EE_img3374561.jpg

Perhaps we could import this thing from Manchester: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B_of_the_Bang
77983368.jpg

Sadly it's no longer there. I used to pass it every day as I went by Man City's ground. When we were down at Xmas I disappointed to see it no longer stood. But also equally disappointed to discover the old abandoned waste land opposite it had been turned in to Manchester City's academy and a school.

Archived