Booze-free Bar

smpar

[mention=198]ICTChris[/mention] hasn't started a thread on this already.
A new alcohol-free bar has opened - in Edinburgh, obviously. Initially, I felt a bit indifferent about it, but now that I think about it, any place that keeps the "I don't need alcohol to have a good time" types in one place is fine by me. I'd imagine the main clientele here, apart from groups of non-drinkers (which must be pretty uncommon), will be families with underage children and maybe the odd confused punter who does a Grampa Simpson when he realises where he is. 
Are there any P&Bers who are boring b*****ds don't drink? Has anyone here ever opened their own alcohol-free establishment?

Kill it. Kill it with fire.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was just out at a pub near Murrayfield for dinner and had a couple of Tennent's Hee Haws. 0.05% and perfectly drinkable (not as good as my old friend Stella). Pubs annoy me as they are full of drunk bores. This non booze pubs sounds hell as it may be full of (normally) non drinkers like me and they are the worst type of c**t.

Hiya pal.

20 years he may have had a point,

Has he not noticed that cafes, and your chain-crap Starbucks, Cafe Nero, Costa etc.
Outnumber pubs in the city centres and are open late

I thought the only way this place might survive long term is if the cafes are shut in the evenings. Sounds like it's fucked.

My ex was a former drinker turned tee totaller and still enjoyed going to the pub with mates. However, it was clear come late times everyone is wrecked and the chat for her would get tiresome. In that respect this kinda joint would be perfect for someone like her, but the idea of her convincing all her drinking pals to come along and spend several hours in the place is unlikely. It'll be unlikely to succeed due to the non drinking demographic being small. Only groups that'll likely visit would be post AA meeting gangs.

42 minutes ago, mrcat1990 said:

My ex was a former drinker turned tee totaller and still enjoyed going to the pub with mates. However, it was clear come late times everyone is wrecked and the chat for her would get tiresome. 

Drunk people are massively boring when you are not drunk.

As I get older I can't really be bothered with getting drunk.  It's a lot of effort for nothing really.

4 minutes ago, Kool Keith said:

Can't see this working, not even in Stockbridge.

It's not here to stay anyway - just lazy STV reporting. From an Edinburgh publication...... sounds like hell on earth. 

There will be plenty of entertainment and events throughout the duration of the DRY pop- up with cooking demos, talks, bands, quiz nights, table-tennis league, darts and boardgames. DRY is also teaming up with local pop-up food stalls who will showcase a selection of gastronomic delights.

DRY will be offering up mocktails, alcohol-free wine and craft beers from 17 January until 28 February 2017 coinciding with Dry January New Year’s resolutions.

It's not here to stay anyway - just lazy STV reporting. From an Edinburgh publication...... sounds like hell on earth. 

There will be plenty of entertainment and events throughout the duration of the DRY pop- up with cooking demos, talks, bands, quiz nights, table-tennis league, darts and boardgames. DRY is also teaming up with local pop-up food stalls who will showcase a selection of gastronomic delights.

DRY will be offering up mocktails, alcohol-free wine and craft beers from 17 January until 28 February 2017 coinciding with Dry January New Year’s resolutions.

Sounds like a community centre more than a pub!

3 hours ago, mrcat1990 said:

My ex was a former drinker turned tee totaller and still enjoyed going to the pub with mates. However, it was clear come late times everyone is wrecked and the chat for her would get tiresome. In that respect this kinda joint would be perfect for someone like her, but the idea of her convincing all her drinking pals to come along and spend several hours in the place is unlikely. It'll be unlikely to succeed due to the non drinking demographic being small. Only groups that'll likely visit would be post AA meeting gangs.

Exactly the point I was going to make.

If you go to a pub with pals who drink, why would they want to go to this place for a (no doubt it'll cost £4) pint of coke?

The choices are either 1. Go to the a normal pub with pished mates and listen to their drivel or 2. Go to this place on your own and meet fellow tee totallers like yourself and make new pals.

I've never met a sober person who I haven't instantly wished to execute with pick axe. Insufferable bores. 

If Grimbo wishes to continue his arson spree and torch the place while its full of teetotallers that would be grand. 

Archived