Booze-free Bar

smpar

https://stv.tv/news/features/1378844-so-bar-alcohol-free-pub-offers-new-twist-on-traditional-night-out/

Surprised @ICTChris hasn't started a thread on this already.

A new alcohol-free bar has opened - in Edinburgh, obviously. Initially, I felt a bit indifferent about it, but now that I think about it, any place that keeps the "I don't need alcohol to have a good time" types in one place is fine by me. I'd imagine the main clientele here, apart from groups of non-drinkers (which must be pretty uncommon), will be families with underage children and maybe the odd confused punter who does a Grampa Simpson when he realises where he is. 

Are there any P&Bers who are boring b*****ds don't drink? Has anyone here ever opened their own alcohol-free establishment?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, smpar said:

https://stv.tv/news/features/1378844-so-bar-alcohol-free-pub-offers-new-twist-on-traditional-night-out/

Surprise @ICTChris hasn't started a thread on this already.

A new alcohol-free bar has opened - in Edinburgh, obviously. Initially, I felt a bit indifferent about it, but ow that I think about it, any place that keeps the "I don't need alcohol to have a good time" types in one place is fine by me. I'd imagine the main clientele here, apart from groups of non-drinkers (which must be pretty uncommon), will be families with underage children and maybe the odd confused punter who does a Grampa Simpson when he realises where he is. 

Are there any P&Bers who are boring b*****ds don't drink? Has anyone here ever opened their own alcohol-free establishment?

I don't think that's such a bad idea. There's lots of times when you want to meet up with friends and you and or they are driving, on call for work, got something important on later etc, and a cafe doesn't really do it and it feels unnatural not to drink alcohol in a pub. It's easier in Europe when in most places there's as many people drinking as not.

Same initial reaction, "WTF" followed by "hang on, it'll keep some of the roasters in there hopefully". Will it show football or any sports? Or will it be like the brewdog type of "bars" just without the on-trend ale?
And agree with KB, 6 months and the owner will be saying "Edinburgh just wasn't ready for this kind of thinking" in that w**k accent.

The owner is a recovered alcoholic who use to run pubs in Edinburgh.

It does seem a bit odd. If I wanted to meet people for a non-alcoholic drink and a chat I'd go to a cafe, of which there are many in that area.

Just now, ICTChris said:

The owner is a recovered alcoholic who use to run pubs in Edinburgh.

It does seem a bit odd. If I wanted to meet people for a non-alcoholic drink and a chat I'd go to a cafe, of which there are many in that area.

You don't get the chatting at the bar thing though. It's more like going to a restaurant.

You don't get the chatting at the bar thing though. It's more like going to a restaurant.

Given your penchant for solo nightclub trips I wouldn't have thought a lack of chatting would put you off.

I was just out at a pub near Murrayfield for dinner and had a couple of Tennent's Hee Haws. 0.05% and perfectly drinkable (not as good as my old friend Stella). Pubs annoy me as they are full of drunk bores. This non booze pubs sounds hell as it may be full of (normally) non drinkers like me and they are the worst type of c**t.

Booze free pubs will be full of Father Jack moments when he sobers up.

Why am I sitting here watching football paying £3 for a coke? At least when it's a pint you can block out the general shitness of pubs by getting pissed. 

Archived