Should Junior Clubs have an amateur team as part of their set up?

Footiedaft

How big a gap is there between top amateur and bottom end Junior sides?

With increasing number of clubs running youth teams at 19's and 21's how many, if any, have a tie in to a local amateur side?

There are only so many squad players a junior side can bring in from 19s and 21s each year. Would having an amateur side in the background offer them another route to good players from the local area getting a route to the Junior side? Would it also keep boys who get beyond the 21's age group in touch with the club if they're of a standard that might be attractive to the first team squad even if only as back up to actual first team players.

Building bigger footballing communities around local junior sides is crucial to clubs survival and growth, this could help?

We at Largs Thistle have Largs Thistle Amateurs, playing in the Ayrshire Amateur Second Division - and having so far had a strong season in their first year under the Thistle banner, challenging for promotion to the First Division and having knocked out two Premier tier sides on the way to the West of Scotland Cup fourth round. 

The one challenge - and I know this may come across as a bit harsh here - is ensuring these set-ups are effective and give an opportunity for both sides to improve, as opposed to just having teams for the sake of having them. This requires a strong community club pyramid and use of the top side's facilities, just for two examples. Oor Amateurs have a lot of good local talent - we've seen a defender make his way from local boys fitba tae one of the star players aged just 18, while ex-Dalry goalscorers David Mills and Ryan McMunn have performed well. We have our Under-19s doing very well, second in the PJDYFL Division Three, who now have a chance to progress to the first team - as with Jay Little and Matthew Ashe - or play for the Amateurs!

Cumnock juniors along with Cumnock Amateurs (formerly westKirk Thistle) as well as Cumnock Enterprise U19s and Cumnock Youth(u8-u16) are now much closer than they used to be? Isn't the rules changing for next season regarding dual contracts to allow younger players/amateur players to play with youth teams and an amateur like they can if they are on dual contract with a junior club?

17 hours ago, ayrbluebrazil said:

Cumnock juniors along with Cumnock Amateurs (formerly westKirk Thistle) as well as Cumnock Enterprise U19s and Cumnock Youth(u8-u16) are now much closer than they used to be? Isn't the rules changing for next season regarding dual contracts to allow younger players/amateur players to play with youth teams and an amateur like they can if they are on dual contract with a junior club?

You'd think that in this day and age, a compromise could be found that meant ONE contract to cover all levels (and I appreciate that my club are a bit different from most).  Reinstatement and restrictions on who can go where....a daft situation that our structure in Scotland perpetuates.  Back in the day, some senior clubs had Junior sides (Morton and St Mirren spring to mind).  It would be great if the likes of Talbot (for example) ran teams all the way down from their first team to teeny wee weans and were the focus for the area, and gave a smooth path of advancement.  I'm sure that is the case in some places.

no. Most junior players who aren't getting a game won't want to play for the amateurs as these amateur teams tend to be miles behind their junior counterparts as the best players get plundered for the juniors. Most players would rather be loaned out to another junior team. You would like a good relationship with an amateur club, but it would rarely happen for this reason. I dont think this set up gives results that are worth all the effort. You're best just scouting decent amateur games n plundering the talent

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

It would be great if the likes of Talbot (for example) ran teams all the way down from their first team to teeny wee weans and were the focus for the area, and gave a smooth path of advancement.  I'm sure that is the case in some places.

There are, Broxburn Athletic, Bathgate Thistle and ourselves are examples from this area and all three have Amatuer clubs in the set-up (I think) and we also have a Ladies team in the SWFL (and girls teams) and I think Broxburn have a Ladies team as well now.

1 hour ago, black white said:

Hi G you said last week you were involved with a club in the west before you came through to the east to stay --- what club was it ????????

I don't think I did, there's only one club I have ever been involved with, and the only West I've lived in is the Lothian one, no the Wild West ^_^

We have two Saturday morning amateur teams affiliated with us playing as Renfrew FC, U21s, various youth age groups too. There's an over 35 team playing as Renfrew FC at New Western Park, and we also have SWFL 2nd division champions Renfrew Ladies FC, and recently started a girls u11s team. 

We always thought having amateurs was a great idea as hopefully kids can progress through the youth set up to play Junior, or if they're not quite at that level, then play with one of the amateurs. Our U21s team is in their first year at the age group but a few have already turned out for the Juniors in friendly games. 

Basically as many options as possible to give everyone a chance to play for the club. At Saturdays game someone even asked me about walking football!

On 23/01/2017 at 17:30, Sunrise said:

We at Largs Thistle have Largs Thistle Amateurs, playing in the Ayrshire Amateur Second Division - and having so far had a strong season in their first year under the Thistle banner, challenging for promotion to the First Division and having knocked out two Premier tier sides on the way to the West of Scotland Cup fourth round. 

The one challenge - and I know this may come across as a bit harsh here - is ensuring these set-ups are effective and give an opportunity for both sides to improve, as opposed to just having teams for the sake of having them. This requires a strong community club pyramid and use of the top side's facilities, just for two examples. Oor Amateurs have a lot of good local talent - we've seen a defender make his way from local boys fitba tae one of the star players aged just 18, while ex-Dalry goalscorers David Mills and Ryan McMunn have performed well. We have our Under-19s doing very well, second in the PJDYFL Division Three, who now have a chance to progress to the first team - as with Jay Little and Matthew Ashe - or play for the Amateurs!

Good to see the boys getting noticed, but the last 4 players who moved up from Largs amateurs to junior were signed by Dalry and Beith and an under 19 player by Winton!

Archived