Boring

Queenserse

Sorry but I just find this site boring over the past few months. There is a concentration on single team themes and most of the space is filled with big pictures and then there are all the home movies. I liked it better when e used to discuss common (eos) league nonsense. But then, I'm an old fart but just say in'

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I *knew* you'd all miss me (blows kiss)

boring.jpg

This forum all changed when City started winning games and you stopped being a frothy moothed Spartans hating mess :P

On 22/01/2017 at 22:27, Queenserse said:

I liked it better when e used to discuss common (eos) league nonsense. But then, I'm an old fart but just say in'

Diddy league thread for this shite. 

Not as lively without the Gretna posters.

Where are they?

In fact where are our fans on match day?

2 hours ago, uptheslope said:

Bingo must go, there you go that should liven things up :rolleyes::)

No really id change my fishing rod if I was you. :D

On 24/01/2017 at 09:22, surely not! said:

Discussion probably hasn't been helped by the fact that the last three league seasons have essentially been processions from start to finish.

This 100 %

2 or more leagues of 10 wi play offs. 

I don't care who'd make up numbers whether junior or eos or other to make up 2 or more leagues. 

The SPFL doesn't have 16 team leagues so why should LL or even HFL have them. 

Would certainly mean less deed rubber games. 

57 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

2 or more leagues of 10 wi play offs. 

I don't care who'd make up numbers whether junior or eos or other to make up 2 or more leagues. 

The SPFL doesn't have 16 team leagues so why should LL or even HFL have them. 

Would certainly mean less deed rubber games. 

The HL has always been a single division since it began.

10 teams leagues are repetitive and boring (SPFL should have taught you that), what you need is stronger teams in the LL to make it more competitve, with the cannon fodder dropping down to a level that matches their ability.......

33 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

The HL has always been a single division since it began.

10 teams leagues are repetitive and boring (SPFL should have taught you that), what you need is stronger teams in the LL to make it more competitve, with the cannon fodder dropping down to a level that matches their ability.......

Yes I know that of the HFL. 

I would hardly say SPFL 2 is boring, gimme a winner and bottom place for the play offs at this present time.  That's definitely not boring...... 

8 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Yes I know that of the HFL. 

I would hardly say SPFL 2 is boring, gimme a winner and bottom place for the play offs at this present time.  That's definitely not boring...... 

Polls seems to indicate that most regular fans of SPFL clubs would welcome larger leagues to relieve the monotony of playing each other 4 times a season. 

One of the problems with the LL is of course only 1 play-off spot at the top, so it's too easy for one strong team to run away with it.  If you had an automatic promotion spot with the next 2/3 clubs playing off with HL and second bottom SPFL, then you'd see a little more excitement.

1 hour ago, Burnie_man said:

Polls seems to indicate that most regular fans of SPFL clubs would welcome larger leagues to relieve the monotony of playing each other 4 times a season. 

One of the problems with the LL is of course only 1 play-off spot at the top, so it's too easy for one strong team to run away with it.  If you had an automatic promotion spot with the next 2/3 clubs playing off with HL and second bottom SPFL, then you'd see a little more excitement.

Good points though I'm sure years ago that's why SPFL went to 10 teams in leagues to prevent meaningless games but like you say 4 times a season gets boring. 

I suppose there's nae real answers. 

5 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Little steps. If EK go up and Berwick or Cowdenbeath come down the LL will have a bit more leverage. People have to understand that movement between leagues is negotiable and is voted on at AGMs.

Mind you, I don't understand your point about the play-off spot making it easy, surely in any league a strong team will run away with it?

Little steps. If EK go up and Berwick or Cowdenbeath come down the LL will have a bit more leverage. People have to understand that movement between leagues is negotiable and is voted on at AGMs.
Mind you, I don't understand your point about the play-off spot making it easy, surely in any league a strong team will run away with it?

What I meant was run away with it as far as promotion is concerned given only one has a chance to go up, and in turn kills interest at the top end, which is the point being made on this thread.

I agree though, if a couple more SPFL teams slip down then the issue of how many go up will no doubt be reviewed.

What I meant was run away with it as far as promotion is concerned given only one has a chance to go up, and in turn kills interest at the top end, which is the point being made on this thread.

I agree though, if a couple more SPFL teams slip down then the issue of how many go up will no doubt be reviewed.

It won't, they'll no longer be SPFL clubs, but LL clubs and/or HL clubs. They'll have no vote on the matter if there was a motion for change

38 minutes ago, surely not! said:

It won't, they'll no longer be SPFL clubs, but LL clubs and/or HL clubs. They'll have no vote on the matter if there was a motion for change

Yes it will, same as happened in England with the conference. The league below becomes more attractive or less of a disaster to drop into, gains credibility and gradually things open up. Until The Shire came down the LL had little credibility hence all the playoff hurdles the SPFL could impose. 

Although I take your point that clubs usually vote in their own interest - but this often means clubs with no danger of relegation taking a more liberal view. Looking back to 1994 it's obvious ICT and Ross County gained votes from the big clubs who either weren't bothered about the cost of travelling there, or possibly thought they would never have to. If it was up to the wee diddy clubs we would have got Gala and Gretna instead.

I think the weightiest factor would be clubs starting to feel that going down would find it increasingly unlikely to get back up again... Having the trapdoor only open a crack is fine - until you go down. Until then you only have to avoid finishing bottom - and even if you finish bottom you only have to win 1 playoff. Lose that playoff and it's serious stuff though - suddenly you're on the other side and having to win a league then 2 rounds of playoffs. If there are lots of quality clubs already there it's hard to even manage the first stage of that.

Other aspect is that clubs which have come-up from non-league football may be less aghast at ideas of returning to it - and retain more affinity with their ex-compatriots.

I've heard it said that some SFL people/clubs felt the pyramid was a bit of a dodge: it would just see a couple of struggling clubs like East Stirlingshire / Montrose and a couple of non-league clubs like Spartans / Cove playing musical chairs every few years. If so there may well now be a rude awakening. In 2 years the playoff has already seen Montrose escape via 2 goals in the last 10 minutes, and 'Shire go down and not look favourites to bounce straight back (as things stand).

Five years ago who would have predicted the rise of Brora, Formartine and Turriff... the emergence of Stirling Uni, EK and Cumbernauld... even the ascent of Edinburgh City.

In 2008 the 4 unsuccessful clubs who applied to join SFL3 were Cove, Spartans, Preston and Edinburgh City. Two are up there in HL / LL; another is battling relegation to EOSL; and the fourth has reached SPFL2. Meanwhile a whole collection of clubs have improved on-field and off-field, and half-a-dozen come along who weren't even seniors at that time.

Archived