St Johnstone v Partick Thistle

jagfox

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Glad some of you agree.

I don't agree with you at all.

You spout utter pish about how when we're winning 1-0 at firhill in the league we'd have more chance of challenging the teams outwith Celtic who are at the top end if the table if we went for a second goal.  About how it's a 4-8 team league split when we're about 12 points above you, and in the top 6 where we've been for the past 5-6 years.

I'd be interested to know what more Saints fans expected from the team in the second half? What should the players or TW have done differently? Contrast our performance with what Thistle produced (yes, in the face of our approach) last week. We largely avoided going long and created openings and efforts on goal. Can't help but feel there is an overreaction occurring.

7 minutes ago, Radford said:

I'd be interested to know what more Saints fans expected from the team in the second half? What should the players or TW have done differently? Contrast our performance with what Thistle produced (yes, in the face of our approach) last week. We largely avoided going long and created openings and efforts on goal. Can't help but feel there is an overreaction occurring.

Why just assess the second half though?

That was a winnable (though not easy) cup match at home and I can hardly remember us forcing any decent saves from their goalkeeper.

They sat in around their box and made it difficult, but we played the ball across in front of them a lot without getting in behind, with the exception of Alston who tried it a few times after he came on. Far too often we seemed to kill any momentum going forward until all that was left was a hopeful ball forward.

We started the second half brighter, but after they weathered it why not try a change of formation.  They only had one up front for a lot of the game, so why not go 3 at the back and push an extra man into midfield, or further forward.  I also felt Kane on for Cummins might have been done earlier.

Agree, we were a bit better second half, but Thistle sitting in and hitting us on the break was probably a factor in us being higher up the park.

Nothing much as there isn't really option to change things. We played relatively well overall until the last third but with Swanson nullified we lacked spark. We don't have different enough attacking players to change shape we things aren't working. Guy in front of me was imploring Wright to make a change before Kane come on - but as you say not much you can change.

Meant to say the big Thistle no. 16 at centre forward is a great target man. He bullied our centre backs all game. Won headers and held the ball up well throughout.

Ade.

[emoji7]

The seethe of Cosgrove on the radio on the way home (and the Saints fans with a lack of understanding of the rules) was glorious. 
Sean Welsh was immense as a left wing back and I love Adam Barton. That is all. 

Barton strolled the game, much the same as the first game in Perth. Classy, classy player.

Aye, that rule about having to go off after treatment for an injury changed in the summer, was hilarious to see the spew from the saints fans who didn't know the rules. Also thought that challenge could easily have been a red given how wildly swanson flew in. 

Aye, that rule about having to go off after an injury changed in the summer, was hilarious to see the spew from the saints fans who didn't know the rules. Also thought that challenge could easily have been a red given how wildly swanson flew in. 

It was a certain red, to me anyway. We've seen with Motherwell that players, who leave the ground studs up, directly towards a player, get sent off these days.

Whole team lost their discipline during that five minute spell, with Davidson (who got dominated by Osman, again) giving up any pretence of being subtle.

Second half performance wasn't horrendous in isolation, but when you're 1-0 down at home, in a Cup tie, the tempo needs to be higher. Particks backline had plenty of time to restructure when they did get caught out. The few times we did try a few quick passes, we got some luck down the right, but (yet again) deliveries into the box by anyone except Swanson were abysmal. Swapping Millar for Craig has to be one of the most pointless subs I've ever seen.

Fair play to the Saintees on here. Very magnanimous.  :thumsup2

Archie pulled it out the bag with his formation. The players worked their tails off and there were no failures. 

Hopefully see the Saints again this season but I'd swap a trip to Hampden once or twice rather than the legendary top six finish.

Anyone but Aberdeen or Celtic in the quarters, preferably away from home.

Not quite sure how he wound up at Firhill.
The ovation for Azeez when he went off shows how much he is appreciated, even without scoring. 

It's funny cause he's probably the biggest handful in the league, but I've never seen a striker look less likely to score. You almost go into it knowing he's not getting on the scoresheet and that you're just aiming to stop him laying the ball off.

Ultimately we didn't, not that you scored from that, but the point stands. Put him in our team and your centrehalves have a much more difficult game and chances are a Swanson or Alston picks a loose ball and scores at some point. As it was we had Maclean playing like shite, which didn't help anyone.

Azeez is just Tade without goals. The incident where he absolutely blazes into space, only for the ball to hit his arse, then he slides, wiping out Anderson, likely sums him up.

Kane should've been on far earlier. Back threes can only be broken by someone going in behind, and neither Cummins or MacLean are quick enough to be dangerous.

Every punt to Cummins seen one go with him, while the other two sat deeper waiting for the flick on. It was really simple for them to sweep up attacks, especially in the second half when their two wide men also sat deep.

Well done thistle. Very decent performance from . Strong and physical and composed when it mattered. Saints poor first half. Correct change at half time. Second half we huffed and puffed with a few good positions but never really looked like scoring. Good luck rest of the tournament

Archived