Queen of the South v Hibernian

Since coming down we've generally struggled against teams who have sat in and made it difficult for us. When teams open up against us there is much more space for us to play our football and we pick teams off.

It didn't work out this time but it was the smart play from Naismith.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's kind of the point though.  The tactics ensured we were still in the game right until the end.  We couldn't have thrown men forward like we did towards the end for the full ninety minutes.  Not without being on the end of a horsing anyway.
You talk about entertainment, what's more entertaining than a gripping contest the outcome of which is still undecided heading into stoppage time?  This cavalier, total football, all-out attack that some fans crave would in all likelihood have seen us several goals down after 20 minutes and the rest of the match would have been a training session.  Very entertaining.

There is of course a balance to be struck - don't think anybody is advocating cavalier all out attack against a team like Hibs.

That said do you really think that after our 4 new signings we are so bereft of quality that we need to essentially turn a home match into defence v attack for 75 minutes? It was like a training ground exercise during that period.

You can argue your point about staying in the game both ways - it is entirely possible that we could have been braver and been 3-0 down with 20 minutes to go. By the same token Hibs could just as easily have been 3-0 up on Saturday with 15 minutes ago despite our defensive set up.

Personally I think we have reasonable quality in our ranks but the formation gave us no "out ball" and it makes no sense to me to have Danny and to a lesser extent Dom Thomas getting goalside deep in their own half to mark Messrs Gray and Stevenson.

If it is essential for tactical purposes to have a lone striker I genuinely don't think that Dobbie fits the bill and it is a waste of our investment in him. To be fair I am not sure who does slot in there there but possibly Dykes is the best option.

As you correctly said we had an outside chance of a point on Saturday late on and the players deserve credit for their commitment and fight to achieve that.

Archived