NHS Crisis? What Crisis?

The_Kincardine

I didn't say there was a difference between C/Non C, didn't I say it included both? Movement and progression between pay grades is certainly different.
On your last point, are GP's and Practice Managers on a relative pay scale with colleagues in Acute/Mental Health & Community Care, with a similar responsibility?

It's not really, you start on a band at the first point depending on what your job is. So a S/N might be 5, BMS 6 etc and then you progress through the points annually.

General practice is different as unless the practice is run by the health board, GPs employ their own staff.

It's not really, you start on a band at the first point depending on what your job is. So a S/N might be 5, BMS 6 etc and then you progress through the points annually.

General practice is different as unless the practice is run by the health board, GPs employ their own staff.

Do you mean GP's run their own practice as a business? Is that why secondary care is in such a mess?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/feb/08/two-tier-nhs-gps-allow-patients-pay-jump-the-queue-bournemouth?utm_source=&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=blast2017-02-09

Fears of 'two-tier NHS' as GPs allow fee-paying patients to jump the queue

NHS: up to 4 week wait, 7 min appt Private: same day £80 — 20 min £145 — 40 mins

Aye, no crisis there.

It always tickles me how few people actually realise that GP practices are and always have been private entities.

Personal opinion: GPs (and doctors in general) get a pretty good deal out of the health service that will never change unless we drastically increase the supply of them or change models of care to have nurses/pharmacists etc do more of their work to make them less essential. GPs in my area can routinely command £150/hr to fill a single out of hours shift. They know that's the highest we'll go and are comfortable holding out until we offer that - that's not sustainable. GPs essentially have one customer - the NHS - it can be frustrating how little leverage that business relationship seems to translate into.

It's a reflection on the lack of GPs in general though. There are few GPs available to work out of hours shifts and so these shifts attract a premium. They're antisocial hours and given the daytime workload of GPs it's not surprising that there are few willing to do it.

I agree that we should be attempting to make use of allied health professionals, but it must be in a way that is both cost effective and safe. There is about to be a mass retirement of GPs across the board, things could get interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I feel rather passionate about how we care for each other so I always strive for excellence that is as compassionate as it is deliverable.

This seems like a great place to set out our critiques of our health service and to debate those points that are worthy of debate.

Anyone care to kick off with anything objective?

I feel rather passionate about how we care for each other so I always strive for excellence that is as compassionate as it is deliverable.
This seems like a great place to set out our critiques of our health service and to debate those points that are worthy of debate.
Far from perfect but at least we don't have to wait 6 hours for an ambulance to arrive for a 999 call like our Southern neighbours have to do all the time.

2 hours ago, AUFC90 said:
13 hours ago, sophia said:

Far from perfect but at least we don't have to wait 6 hours for an ambulance to arrive for a 999 call like our Southern neighbours have to do all the time.

It might have happened but I don't believe that it's a regular occurrence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-47362797

20 minutes is still too long in a life or death situation obviously.

I once waited well over an hour for an ambulance to arrive to a suspected stroke and it was rapid response that turned up.  And then a half hour transfer by a crew that didn’t even know the nearest a and e.  In the middle of the day in central Scotland. 
I struggle to have any confidence that these numbers aren’t significantly distorted by the number of incidents where crews are already at the location. 

Timely bump. NHS Lothian has now lost both its CEO and Chairman. I suspect I would get in trouble at work if I wrote what I really think about this. 

The chairman wrote to all staff today and the email was a fucking zinger. The cabinet secretary has a lot to answer for. 

11 hours ago, CountyFan said:

Timely bump. NHS Lothian has now lost both its CEO and Chairman. I suspect I would get in trouble at work if I wrote what I really think about this. 

The chairman wrote to all staff today and the email was a fucking zinger. The cabinet secretary has a lot to answer for. 

That email being leaked to P&B wouldn't be an issue, you know...

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

That email being leaked to P&B wouldn't be an issue, you know...

I dont think it's an issue to share what he said. Basically that there were fundamental and irreconcilable differences in the way he felt health boards should be run in comparison to the cabinet secretary. It was measured but loaded and much more than what would normally be shared with staff in such circumstances. 

My inference was that is particularly with reference to accountability to ministers, who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about and are frankly making the situations at several boards worse with their suffocating interference. I am not close to the board btw so this is all my own educated assumption.