Research

natalie-H:)

Hi, I am Natalie Hearn- a PhD student from the University of Central Lancashire and I am conducting research examining gambling. I am looking for people to take part in our study and would be extremely grateful if you would consider helping. If you would like to take part in the study please follow the following link which will provide you with more information about the study to help you decide. It would be greatly appreciated, Natalie Hearn NLHearn@uclan.ac.uk.

http://sgiz.mobi/s3/a435ebb575c9

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Hi, I suggest you edit the ethnic background question to include Scottish as well as English, Welsh, Northern Irish and British. It is a Scottish football forum after all.

This, I stopped once I reached this question!

It was very long-winded with the same questions being asked 2 or 3 times(didn't always give the same answer).

Personally I thought the questions were framed from a preconceived notion of what a gambler should be.

If you want a full and frank recollection of my 24 years of gambling my brains out and where it took me morally,mentally,spiritually and financially pm me, I've nowt to hide and you can only learn so much from books

What a terrible questionnaire. You state in your debrief that "This study looked at how often and to what extent you engage in gambling" and yet you don't ask any questions about how often the person gambles, other than in extreme cases.

You would expect an opening question along the lines of how often do you gamble/do you consider yourself to be a regular gambler. Your first real question is "How often have you bet more than you could really afford to lose?"

Without more basic questions to detail peoples relationship with gambling, before going onto how they act in other situations, I don't see how you will be able to draw any credible conclusion from your results.

On 22/01/2017 at 07:40, natalie-H:) said:

Hi, I am Natalie Hearn- a PhD student from the University of Central Lancashire and I am conducting research examining gambling. I am looking for people to take part in our study and would be extremely grateful if you would consider helping. If you would like to take part in the study please follow the following link which will provide you with more information about the study to help you decide. It would be greatly appreciated, Natalie Hearn NLHearn@uclan.ac.uk.

http://sgiz.mobi/s3/a435ebb575c9

Natalie, I agree with the others. The survey is long winded and seems representative. It also seems to have an inherent bias towards assuming gambling is a bad thing. Alot of people find it a fun and sociable activity, for whom it never turns into a problem. As an external PhD examiner with some experience in this space, I would question the validity of some of the questions in your survey.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete the questionnaires. I agree with you it is quite a long survey, so thank you very much for sticking with it and completing it. In relation to the other comments about the question types - thanks also for that feedback. It is feedback like this that I really need as this will help me design future research in a, perhaps, more user friendly way. All of this feedback will certainly be built on and applied in future studies.

I am still collecting data for this study and therefore, if anyone can spare the time to take part, that would be appreciated. Feedback is really welcomed and thank you to those that have taken part already and provided feedback.

Natalie 

Archived