Old top flight games

5 hours ago, capt_oats said:

The goal Billy Davies scores here still ranks as one of my favourite Motherwell goals that I've seen 'live'.

I was at this game. The Davies goal was the main feature on STV Sport on the Monday which was unusual for a 'diddy' team.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

I remember this game very well. The sort of thing that sticks with you. The strange thing is that Hearts didn't play that badly and on another day would have humped Thistle silly. Things just didn't go our way and we ended up on the end of a ridiculous scoreline. That's fitba.

This game sticks in my mind for various reasons.

There was a stand off between the Scottish League and TV companies that season and no highlights at all were shown of ANY games between September and March. This was the first one shown after a deal was struck, a belter it was too. There were no live games apart from the cup final and the Scotland v England game in those days. The first ever live Scottish League match, a 1-1 draw at Tynecastle between Hearts and Aberdeen was shown on a Sunday afternoon a few weeks after this and there wasnt another for four or five years when the satelite companies started buying rights, BSB who were soon bought over by SKY were the first in 1991 I think.

It actually looked like the dropped point here (two for a win back then) would cost Celtic their slimmer than slim chances of winning the league but they went on to win all remaining eight matches before triumphing with the help of Hearts infamous implosion at Dens Park on the last day.

The state of the pitch as well by the way, no way would that game start or finish nowadays :lol:

Falkirk's old Brockville Park bursting at the seams in 1986, fans on the track throughout the match, clearly more than the safe capacity inside the old ground that day.

Less said about the Celtic goalscorer the better :thumbsdown

A packed Tynecastle for Hearts v Celtic in 1987 saw a John Colquhoun screamer cancelled out by a late Mark McGhee header who, seemed to always score against the Jambos back then, even though he was pretty useless the rest of the time.

A packed Celtic Park from 1985 with a superb Aberdeen support numbering at least 4000 id estimate, from the Fergie era when the Dons were battling with Celtic each year for the title and Rangers (RIP) irrelevant mid table dross

Archived