P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

15 minutes ago, pittsburgh phil said:
10 hours ago, tamthebam said:
as the goldcrest is the smallest British bird you're luck to have seen the bugger at all! Good pic. 

Are firecrests not smaller?

They're a bawhair bigger - firecrests average out about 10cm as opposed to 9cm.

There's actually been a lone firecrest hanging about Hillhead in the West End most of the winter this year - goldcrests are ten a penny, but firecrests are a local rarity. Here's the wee guy in question:

25395848_10159706080275453_9173992825622919778_n.jpg

They're a bawhair bigger - firecrests average out about 10cm as opposed to 9cm.
There's actually been a lone firecrest hanging about Hillhead in the West End most of the winter this year - goldcrests are ten a penny, but firecrests are a local rarity. Here's the wee guy in question:

25395848_10159706080275453_9173992825622919778_n.jpg.4c3b0abd64afdbd53c9dfd373c89c5f9.jpg
Yeah I've seen many a goldcrest but never the elusive firecrest. Lovely wee birds they both are.

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

There's actually been a lone firecrest hanging about Hillhead in the West End most of the winter this year.

In the Botanics, by any chance? First time I saw a goldcrest it was in the Botanics in Edinburgh. Flew towards me at a good rate, around knee-height, then turned mid-air and retreated from whence it came, right along the same straight line as if it were on a piece of elastic. A great bit o' flying, but I was surprised how confident it had been on its approach before thinking better of it.

Seen goldcrest 5 times, twice in our garden of which one was an extended bit of insect collection from a window box 3 feet from where I was standing at the kitchen sink . Never seen firecrest.

13 minutes ago, sugna said:

In the Botanics, by any chance? First time I saw a goldcrest it was in the Botanics in Edinburgh. Flew towards me at a good rate, around knee-height, then turned mid-air and retreated from whence it came, right along the same straight line as if it were on a piece of elastic. A great bit o' flying, but I was surprised how confident it had been on its approach before thinking better of it.

Seen goldcrest 5 times, twice in our garden of which one was an extended bit of insect collection from a window box 3 feet from where I was standing at the kitchen sink . Never seen firecrest.

It's spent most of its time in the Oakfield Avenue/Glasgow St area - seems to have got through what's been a hard winter without moving too far. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve just been for a wander down the River Tay along the moncrieffe island (so still in Perth) and I was very very surprised to see - bobbing about in the water - a Guillemot. I’ll post photos when I get home. Why there is a guillemot this far from the sea I do not know. Maybe blown in by all the recent bad weather? It looked like it didn’t know what to do.

4 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I’ve just been for a wander down the River Tay along the moncrieffe island (so still in Perth) and I was very very surprised to see - bobbing about in the water - a Guillemot. I’ll post photos when I get home. Why there is a guillemot this far from the sea I do not know. Maybe blown in by all the recent bad weather? It looked like it didn’t know what to do.

They can sometimes get blown inland but certainly we do get cormorants in the winter when the seas are rough but I've never seen a gullemot far inland. I once came across a juvenile gannet in a park in Larbert and the bloody SSPCA refused to believe me and suggested I take it in to work with me if I was able to catch it.

Edited by Rizzo

16 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

There have been some strong winds from the east that could have blown it inland, but sadly there's a fair likelihood  it might be starving. Due to warming waters there apparently has been a drop in the number of sand eels which are a staple food of guillemots as well as some other seabirds, which has resulted in birds attempting to forage for food far from the coast.

Last year there were several instances of guillemots on the Clyde as far up as Glasgow city centre - one was even hanging about the river as far inland as Dalmarnock.

3 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

There have been some strong winds from the east that could have blown it inland, but sadly there's a fair likelihood  it might be starving. Due to warming waters there apparently has been a drop in the number of sand eels which are a staple food of guillemots as well as some other seabirds, which has resulted in birds attempting to forage for food far from the coast.

Last year there were several instances of guillemots on the Clyde as far up as Glasgow city centre - one was even hanging about the river as far inland as Dalmarnock.

Oh dear. I have to say, the wee chap looked utterly clueless as to what to do. He didn't move once, just bobbed about.

DSC_0364.JPG

I have this beautiful porch in front of my house and every morning I get a lot of winged visitors which includes a Robin, wood pigeons, doves, crows and sparrows. I love to feed them and I think they have developed a liking for me. Now, they are not even afraid to feed off my hands. Its quite a great feeling.

Edited by Ronish Baxter

On 3/19/2018 at 14:22, jamamafegan said:

I've often felt the same in Perth.