Last signing from non-league

AsimButtHitsASix

Jordan Austin from Leven United, we signed his brother Nathan "Fash" Austin from them as well, shows there's some gems out there!!!

So. With time to kill at work I gave this a bash this evening and update as we go. First thing is to see if any clubs have players in the current squad plucked from non-league. Including foreign non-league as well in italics if we don't have a Scottish one.. Got this from the posts above and going through current squads on wikipedia so could be more than a few wrong. EG: Doolan is the last player in the Partick Thistle squad currently to be signed from a Scottish non-league team but there may have been others between him signing who have since left. Also for Accies, for instance, it seems both players signed in the same year but I have no idea who was first.

Aberdeen - Kevin Rutkiewicz (Larkhall Thistle)
Celtic - John Halpin (Armadale Thistle)
Dundee - Yordi Teijsse (Quick Boys, Netherlands)
Hamilton Academical - Louis Longridge (Bo'ness United)/Darian MacKinnon (Clydebank)
Heart of Midlothian - Marcus Godinho (Vaughan Azzuri, Canada)
Inverness Caledonian Thistle - Alex Fisher (Torquay United, England)
Kilmarnock - Jonathan Stynes, (Jundaloop, Australia)
Motherwell - Craig Clay/Richard Tait (Grimsby Town, England)/Ben Heneghan (Chester FC, England)/Ryan Bowman (Gateshead, England)
Partick Thistle - James Craigen (Edinburgh University)
Rangers - Niko Kranjcar (New York Cosmos, USA)
Ross County - Craig Curran (Nuneaton, England)
St. Johnstone - Andy Whiteford (Possil YMCA)
Ayr United - Sean McKenzie (Cumnock)
Dumbarton - Garry Fleming (Irvine Meadow)
Dundee United - Marino Keith (Fraserburgh)
Dunfermline - Andy Tod (Kelty Hearts)
Falkirk - Luke Leahy (Rugby Town, England)
Greenock Morton - Kenny McLean (Hillwood BC)
Hibernian - Jamie Insall (Bromyard Town, England)
Queen of the South - Danny Carmichael (Gretna)
Raith Rovers - Paul Currie (Musselburgh Athletic)
St. Mirren - Brian McGinty (Cumnock)
Airdrieonians - Daniel Boating (Södertälje FK, Sweden)
Alloa Athletic - Steven Hetherington (Crook Town, England)
Brechin City - Graham Hay (Lochee United)
East Fife - Jordan Austin (Leven United)
Livingston - Jordyn Sheerin (Musselburgh)
Peterhead - Paul Jarvie (Inverurie Loco Works)
Queen's Park - Anthony Brady (East Kilbride)/Josh Watt (Cumnock)
Stenhousemuir - Jack Smith (East Kilbride)
Stranraer - David Barron (Greenock)
Annan Athletic - Peter Weatherson (Shettleston)
Arbroath - Kane Hester (Arbroath Vics)
Berwick Rangers - Lewis Turner (Newtongrange Star)
Clyde - Dylan Caddis (Ardrossan Winton Rovers)
Cowdenbeath - Kris Renton (Newtongrange Star)
Edinburgh City - Calum Antell (Nairn County)/Dean Cummings (Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale)
Elgin City - Craig McLeish (Jeanfield)
Forfar Athletic - Eddie Malone (Spartans)
Montrose - Callum MacDonald (Clachnacuddin)/Chris Hegarty (Buckie Thistle)
Stirling Albion - Liam Caddis (Ardrossan Winton Rovers)

10 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

St. Mirren - Pål Fjelde (Bryne, Norway)

Bryne got relegated and then Fjelde left. He was never actually a non-league player, I don't think.

The last player I recall us signing who was actually playing non-league was James Marwood from Gateshead in 2014. Before that, Brian McGinty from Cumnock in 2001

I think our last signing from a non-league club was Zdenek Kroca from Luton in the summer of 2011.  Unless I've missed someone, our last signing from a Scottish non-league club might well have been Tom Brown from Glenafton in 1993.  Coincidentally, both players came on as subs in major cup final victories.

22 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Being an utter pedant, we signed Chris Erskine the first time round from Kilbirnie in summer 2009, we signed Doolan in January 2009.

James Craigen was signed after these, but he was in full time education and played in a bounce game against us for the British universities team in pre season rather than being with a junior / non league senior club. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/01/2017 at 10:24, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Trying to think who the last player Morton signed directly from non league/junior/amateur clubs in Scotland. I think it mighta been Kenny McLean but I'm probably wrong. Wondering when the last time it happened for the other 42 clubs as well.

On 23/01/2017 at 21:10, AsimButtHitsASix said:

So. With time to kill at work I gave this a bash this evening and update as we go. First thing is to see if any clubs have players in the current squad plucked from non-league. Including foreign non-league as well in italics but ideally looking for Scottish ones. Got this from the posts above and going through current squads on wikipedia so could be more than a few wrong. EG: Doolan is the last player in the Partick Thistle squad currently to be signed from a Scottish non-league team but there may have been others between him signing who have since left. Also for Accies, for instance, it seems both players signed in the same year but I have no idea who was first.

Queen of the South - Lyndon Dykes (Surfers Paradise Apollo, Australia)

I know where you are trying to go with this but it's going to need a wee bit more refining in definition before you can be definitive. Presumably you are referring only here to those who go on to play 1st team for the club? We sign players every year whose previous club was non-league but very few of them get to the first team. Our current 20's squad includes professionals from non league for instance. Robbie Hogg was with Creetown. Ryan Nelson who just left us but was semi regular on the 1st team bench came from Shilford AFC.

As for us currently, again it depends how you define it but it may well be Lyndon. I honestly haven't a clue what level of football Surfers Paradise play at in Australia though he was playing for them as an amateur. He had been professional previously though and was with us in a previous spell a year earlier before he went back home for a while. Lee Robinson and Jamie Hamill were both completely clubless and had been unattached for months when we signed them, about a year in Lee's case, but neither had registered for anyone else between leaving Rangers and Kilmarnock so you probably don't want to include them.

If it wasn't Lyndon, and we're not including players signed from other clubs when they were youth ages, then it's Kevin Dzierzawski who was signed straight out of college football in the USA in 2013.

In terms of an actual Scottish non-league side it will be Danny Carmichael when he joined us from Gretna in 2010. We did get very close to signing Scott Milligan in 2012 when he was at Dalbeattie Star I think. He spent 2 or 3 weeks doing pre-season with us but didn't get a contract in the end.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I know where you are trying to go with this but it's going to need a wee bit more refining in definition before you can be definitive. Presumably you are referring only here to those who go on to play 1st team for the club?

That seems as good a reason as any.

As for what defines a "non-league" club in another nation?

Either it's defined as such by their FA (like the Conference in England), it's the level where the leagues become regionalised or it's outwith their accredited main league like the A-League in Australia or MLS in the USA.

On 25/01/2017 at 06:41, Fuctifano said:

James Craigen was signed after these, but he was in full time education and played in a bounce game against us for the British universities team in pre season rather than being with a junior / non league senior club. 

Craigen was a registered player with Edinburgh University FC and was with them 3 seasons after leaving PNE, playing in the East of Scotland League. 

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/beacher-bags-uni-the-points-1-2167835

Berwick signed a few non-league Europeans this window but last Scottish non-league signing I think was Stevie Thomson from Musselburgh Ath.

Clyde signed the keeper Dylan Caddis from Winton Rovers more recently than Oliver, was on bench a few times earlier in the season and definitely started season with Winton.

Separate trivia question but how many other multiple Scottish (i.e. not the Jacobs!) brothers have been on books of Senior clubs?

Liam: St Johnstone etc

Dylan: Clyde

Ryan: Ayr, Stranraer etc

Paul: Celtic, Birmingham etc

Any advances on 4 (Caddis/Jacobs) in modern era?

Our keeper (Murdoch) had played for us before, and Accies and a couple of others. Andy Tod is the only player I can think of who we signed from Juniors (Kelty Hearts) who went straight into the team and is an all time big Pars favourite. Started as a striker then turned into a defender (Bert Paton's logic was that all defenders are shite footballers so best to turn wingers and strikers into defenders). 

Archived