Clean Eating

ICTChris

There was an excellent Horizon programme on last night with scientist Giles Yeo investigating the phenomenon of 'clean eating'.  He interviewed food blogger Ella Woodward, author of the deliciously Ella series, who has since decried the term 'clean eating', although she still recommends people to follow a plant-based, vegan, exclusionary diet.  She seems very nice and sincere and was honest and brave enough to do the show (most other clean eaters refused).  However, her recipes echo some of the worst elements of clean eating - http://angry-chef.com/blog/clean-eating-is-dead.

He also looked at some of the science behind the trends associated with 'clean eating', speaking to an American cardiologist who is prominently cited as an expert in support of removing grain from human diet.  The cardiologist suggested that grain is harmful to everyone, rather than just the small percentage who are gluten intolerant.  The programme also interviewed scientists researching the effects of gluten who confirmed that the evidence suggests that gluten is only harmful for those with significant allergies to it or pre-existing conditions.  He then spoke to an advocate of a plant-based diet and quickly found that a lot of the science behind that is also flawed.

Finally, he spoke with the most famous promoter of the Alkaline Diet, Robert Young, who says that the pH of your diet is the cause of all illness.  Yep, every single illness.  It seems as though eating lost of wheatgrass and kale juice is his idea of healthy food and he also said, in a roundabout way, that he didn't believe in germs.  It got really disturbing though when the programme touched on his residential programmes for terminally ill patients, who pay thousands of dollars to attend his mansion and have treatments given to him to restore pH balance to the body.  one example was a young British woman with terminal breast cancer, who paid £60,000 for her treatments, which included having sodium bicarbonate applied in a drip.  For $550 a time.  Of course, all the cancer patients died and the doctor has been found guilty of theft and practicing medicine without a license.  He is now in prison.

It was an eye opening documentary.  My wife had a few health problems last year and changed her diet with very positive effects.  In the main, she (and we) have stopped eating sweets and snacks and cook all our meals from scratch.  She has done really well from it and is much healthier.  During the course of this she bought loads of diet books and it's remarkable how much total garbage is talked about food, how many people are selling books that assure you that pretty nondescript ingredients are going to kill you or that cutting out an entire food group that people have been eating for thousands of years will make you thin and pretty.  It's obvious to see the harm that can be done by the black-and-white and exclusionary approach to diet adopted by clean eaters.

Any P&Bers ever cut out entire food groups and got that healthy glow?

Any P&Bers ever falsely sold cancer sufferers bogus treatments and ended up in prison for it?

Any P&Bers want to join me in a wheatgrass and kale smoothie?

Any P&Bers just had a roll and black pudding with the roll substituted for four sausages?

3 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

I was driving out of Brighton when an ad on the local radio station came on. It was for a raw vegan restaurant. Is that not just some chancer trying to flog chopped veg at massively inflated prices?

Pretty much.

8 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

I was driving out of Brighton when an ad on the local radio station came on. It was for a raw vegan restaurant. Is that not just some chancer trying to flog chopped veg at massively inflated prices?

Do you remember what the restaurant was called out of curiosity? 

24 minutes ago, throbber said:

Do you remember what the restaurant was called out of curiosity? 

Aloha or Aloka or something lile that

Googled: Aloka, now closed. gOOD

Even better as the c***s seem to have put this in their window ;  “more vibrant, strong and healthy leaves to grow the following year”.

I finished last year at 15st 10lbs.

I'm around 6ft 2" so can carry that weight but I just didn't feel fit so I dropped sugar altogether (sweets, biscuits, nae sugar in tea etc) and the wife started cooking healthy meals from scratch.

Started moderate exercise and weighed in at bang on 15st yesterday. Taking up Thai boxing at the end of February and I'm hoping to be down to 14st 7lbs by then.

7 minutes ago, Andy C said:

I finished last year at 15st 10lbs.

I'm around 6ft 2" so can carry that weight but I just didn't feel fit so I dropped sugar altogether (sweets, biscuits, nae sugar in tea etc) and the wife started cooking healthy meals from scratch.

Started moderate exercise and weighed in at bang on 15st yesterday. Taking up Thai boxing at the end of February and I'm hoping to be down to 14st 7lbs by then.

A 6'2" 14+ stone Thai boxing Rovers fan? I may need to temper the wee team patter a bit. 

5 minutes ago, Andy C said:

You're a boxer are you not?

Chuck in a few knees and kicks and you're sorted!

That seems like a lot of effort. I've not sparred since about July so I'd say semi-retired. 

7 minutes ago, throbber said:

Shandon Par would be the sort of person who would cry if he get a nose bleed - don't worry about him.

Do you think I'd get away with most of my footwear if I was soft? 

I'm coeliac, and it's terminal. There's no hope at all. But then I don't always stick strictly to the rules. I challenged the dietician to prove gluten could survive the brewing process and she failed miserably. So my drinking will continue.

I spent a very dull hour with her looking at pictures of vegetables and bakery products as she explained which was which. Some on here might enjoy the colonoscopy though. The endoscopy is less fun, fortunately in these advanced days the use different tubes to invade you.

40 minutes ago, throbber said:

I'm pretty sure you aren't brave enough to wear your brothel creepers on Great Junction Street anyway. 

I have these at the ready in the car for when I have to visit your seedy side of town

image.jpg

47 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'm coeliac, and it's terminal. There's no hope at all. But then I don't always stick strictly to the rules. I challenged the dietician to prove gluten could survive the brewing process and she failed miserably. So my drinking will continue.

You could always switch to scrumpy.

Archived