TV Deal negotiations

2 hours ago, Dubford don said:

It's quite sad that no matter who shows the matches Scottish footballs main selling point is the 4 bigotfests between to absolute showers of shite

Whats sad about it? The two biggest supported clubs facing off is the main selling point of almost every national league on the planet, mainly because they've got the biggest support.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Whats sad about it? The two biggest supported clubs facing off is the main selling point of almost every national league on the planet, mainly because they've got the biggest support.

The fact it's a bigotfest and its the OF and their fans are all c**ts

• 2 weeks later...

According to the Daily Record we have the worst TV Deal in Europe. That should really be a sackable offence for whoever was responsible. There's absolutely no excuse for it. I am no fan of pie in the sky nonsense but this constant over the top negativity about Scottish football is surely to blame for this. 

1 minute ago, Ross. said:

Cheers, I couldn't get it to cut and paste for some reason.

1 hour ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

According to the Daily Record we have the worst TV Deal in Europe. That should really be a sackable offence for whoever was responsible. There's absolutely no excuse for it. I am no fan of pie in the sky nonsense but this constant over the top negativity about Scottish football is surely to blame for this. 

Peter lawwell, i believe. It was much lauded at the time as a giruy sevco.

It's a bit of an unfair comparison, since some of those deals are for every single league game - I think that's the case for Norway, for example.  I don't think that would go down well in Scotland, where folk have a meltdown about 1 or 2 games being moved for TV, let alone 38.

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

It's a bit of an unfair comparison, since some of those deals are for every single league game - I think that's the case for Norway, for example.  I don't think that would go down well in Scotland, where folk have a meltdown about 1 or 2 games being moved for TV, let alone 38.

4 hours ago, sjc said:

How do the likes of Norway, Sweden, Denmark etc get more money when they have 4 less bigotfests a season that us?

Craig touches on some of the reasons. You also have to consider things like relative currency strength and what is covered by the deal. The Record article mentions Portugal, and the deal that Benfica and Sporting Lisbon have signed which nets them 400m euros. It neglects to mention that the 400m euros is over a 10 year period and also includes significant sponsorship and advertising rights. It's not simply that the sides receive 400m for TV coverage. The articles that the record have put out yesterday and today are utterly atrocious. They are completely devoid of anything beyond the most superficial aspects of the subject. They completely lack in context, analysis and any kind of objectivity.

Most - if not all - teams have their own online TV service. Why not group together every club's online service into a nationwide football channel, and televise every game? We could call it..SPL TV...for example. Then we could centralise all the online subscriptions, and distribute the money fairly. On top of that, we could sell the TV rights for a limited number of big games to BT (who seem to put more effort in than Sky).

4 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Most - if not all - teams have their own online TV service. Why not group together every club's online service into a nationwide football channel, and televise every game? We could call it..SPL TV...for example. Then we could centralise all the online subscriptions, and distribute the money fairly. On top of that, we could sell the TV rights for a limited number of big games to BT (who seem to put more effort in than Sky).

That's also something else that the Record appears to have missed. The Swiss TV deal allows SRF to show the games online and via their own PPV channel. Have the record included the income from things like the Celtic/Hearts/Aberdeen online channels?

1 minute ago, Ross. said:

That's also something else that the Record appears to have missed. The Swiss TV deal allows SRF to show the games online and via their own PPV channel. Have the record included the income from things like the Celtic/Hearts/Aberdeen online channels?

You answered your own question there pal:

"Have the Record...."....no.

Daily Record...seek and ye shall find no journalists.

It's all well and good sitting here slagging off tabloid journalism, but how does our TV deal actually compare to the rest of Europe? Is the gist of their article completely wrong? 

The Daily Record might be the source of a lot of what is wrong in our game but if they can see, like most people here can, that our game is sold short commercially by the likes of Neil Doncaster, then surely that is a positive development.

18 minutes ago, sjc said:

I like that Sweden has 2 divisions of 16 teams playing each other twice from March to November. 

They're average attendances are lower than ours too.

But they don't have a potential minimum of 4 moneyspinners per season to look forward to. The only way Scottish football will ever thrive, is if Celtic f**k off to England, and Sevco die the undignified death we all desperately hope for.

I did a back of envelope calculation two seasons ago, about splitting the gate for all games 50/50, and Hearts lost out slightly, but every other team bar timothy made a gain. Still, our chairman voted against changing the money structure. It's enough to make a Dons fan feel slightly less superior tbh.

2 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

But they don't have a potential minimum of 4 moneyspinners per season to look forward to. The only way Scottish football will ever thrive, is if Celtic f**k off to England, and Sevco die the undignified death we all desperately hope for.

I did a back of envelope calculation two seasons ago, about splitting the gate for all games 50/50, and Hearts lost out slightly, but every other team bar timothy made a gain. Still, our chairman voted against changing the money structure. It's enough to make a Dons fan feel slightly less superior tbh.

Or we could hope that the New "old" Firm arms race results in a double KO.

Archived