TV Deal negotiations

On 2/13/2017 at 22:24, ftk said:

STV used to show highlights of all the old first division games years ago. Think it was called football first. Was on Sunday teatime never missed it. Love to see it back again.

that's the one... fans enjoyed it, so obviously it had to be stopped.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hellbhoy seems to have totally missed the fact that viewing figures, "pull" i.e. to subscribe, competition i.e. from other broadcasters, advertising revenues, etc. etc. are also factors.

Otherwise his theory that Sky should give SPFL £100M means they should give the Irish Premiership ~£35M?

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You're in cloud cuckoo land.

:lol: Quite possibly MT but that's how I feel about the deal.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Hellbhoy seems to have totally missed the fact that viewing figures, "pull" i.e. to subscribe, competition i.e. from other broadcasters, advertising revenues, etc. etc. are also factors.

Otherwise his theory that Sky should give SPFL £100M means they should give the Irish Premiership ~£35M?

So are you telling me that we deserve such a shitty deal?, we could pull far far better viewing figures if the product was well funded with clubs fielding far better squads and going further into European competitions by a percentage based revenue split. The EPL only get high viewing figures because we as a nation are part funding the EPL so they can screw us over. And secondly if you think the amount of cash they are receiving from Scotland to fund the EPL is right just because it is business and business is business then we deserve to get fucked over. You only get what you deserve if you fight for it and the SPFL have no balls what so ever to get that fair share of revenue taken out of our country.

I do understand the economics of viewing figures and a better product will sell better.

6 hours ago, Ross. said:

Isn't Stewart Milne partly to blame for that? After Rangers went bye bye there was a vote to amend the 11-1 voting structure and he sided with Celtic to keep things the same.

Milne did vote against changing the 11-1 rule, but the financial distributions were changed at the same time, so the 11-1 was actually less of an issue.

That's a weird statement.  There will only be more games on TV if the SPFL want there to be more, and that can come along with some sort of financial arrangement.  I think the exposure of having some live games on free to air TV with English commentary could be very useful for our game anyway, but not sure if that will happen.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

That's a weird statement.  There will only be more games on TV if the SPFL want there to be more, and that can come along with some sort of financial arrangement.  I think the exposure of having some live games on free to air TV with English commentary could be very useful for our game anyway, but not sure if that will happen.

BBC Alba are likely paying peanuts for their Championship rights. So with a £30m/year budget, you'd think this new channel could either complement or replace Alba as a broadcaster of lower league Scottish football. 

It would always need to be evening kick-offs mind, because the hours will only be 7pm-midnight.

That appears to be the situation with BBC Alba. Considering the funding for the new channel is half of what was forecast for it to be a relative success, I think it's safe to say that they won't be throwing any material amount of money at Scottish Football.

17 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I've only glanced at this TV news, but aren't they contractually obliged to show the news at 9pm? If they don't start until 7pm, that doesn't leave a very big window for live football.

7:05pm kick-off?

FT ~8:55pm.

It's possible the news time won't be set entirely in stone. Although if it's supposed to be an hour, there might be very little wriggle-room if it needs to be off-air in time for the 10 on BBC1.

Games don't always kick off right when they're supposed to. I can't recall the last game that didn't have injury/stoppage time added to at least one half, with the vast majority of games having it added to both halves. 

On 15/02/2017 at 16:48, hellbhoy said:

Apologies Mordecai, The deal is around £15 million per season which by the way is still a fucking shite deal no matter how you look at it. The £10.6 million was for the BBC's contribution towards the pot split over four years which is near the cash Gary fucking Lineker gets a year for hosting MoD on the BBC.

On other websites other folk are claiming a fair deal for televising Scottish football should be in excess of £100 million and still gives the sponsors a healthy profit from Scots who have taken out Sports packages with these corrupt companies, who have taken it upon themselves to use vital cash to bloat out the EPL to make it the richest league in the world that would otherwise make our league as competitive as the EPL in terms of spending power.

I still think the SPFL have no fucking balls after screwing up the original SKY deal in favour of the doomed Setanta deal and should have played hard ball with them because there would be a national uproar if these companies failed to give the SPFL a sponsorship deal because the SPFL were holding out for a fair and proper deal. I'm sure many a Scotsman would have taken a stand and threatened to cancel their Sports packages in light of this insult to our game.

No matter how you look at it it's basically the TV companies taking the piss because they peddle the EPL as the richest league in the world and that somehow we Scots would rather throw our money at them to watch the EPL than have money thrown at our leagues to make it a far better product than it is.

It's basic arithmetic, give our SPFL a fairer deal and we can hold onto our brightest talent and import some high quality players. Our league gets better and most likely will have the players to progress further in European competitions which then gains interest and viewers in Scotland and may even sell more Sports packages in Scotland making more money for these robbing b*****ds.

I am also fucking fed up of being a feeder league to the EPL who pay a pittance for our talent and then suddenly because they are playing in the EPL are worth up to 10 times more than they paid for them.

Rant over.

I think you're right, although I may be in the minority. We do sell ourselves short in a massive way. Personally I think we should run our own TV highlight/coverage on the internet. Control it ourselves and control the money earned. Over time, say 5 years, we could build up a decent following. The problem is that we would need some good quality people to host it and that means that we lose most of the dross currently chatting about Scottish football on telly and the papers. I counted the articles on the internet DR recently a few times over a few weeks and the OF basically had 90% of the stories. It's a chicken and egg thing, I get it, but the media are so biased in their coverage that it makes it difficult for anyone else to break through. Then they complain that no one challenges the OF.  It's not rocket science, is it? One of the scottish bloggers wrote a really good article about it last year, can't remember who sadly but one of you may!

44 minutes ago, weejoeharper said:

I think you're right, although I may be in the minority. We do sell ourselves short in a massive way. Personally I think we should run our own TV highlight/coverage on the internet. Control it ourselves and control the money earned. Over time, say 5 years, we could build up a decent following. The problem is that we would need some good quality people to host it and that means that we lose most of the dross currently chatting about Scottish football on telly and the papers. I counted the articles on the internet DR recently a few times over a few weeks and the OF basically had 90% of the stories. It's a chicken and egg thing, I get it, but the media are so biased in their coverage that it makes it difficult for anyone else to break through. Then they complain that no one challenges the OF.  It's not rocket science, is it? One of the scottish bloggers wrote a really good article about it last year, can't remember who sadly but one of you may!

I definitely think our associations are selling the product short, in fact I think none of them have a fucking clue how to manipulate and sell our product properly at all. Mostly because they have no fucking balls at all and think that we Scots won't fight and back the SFA & SPFL should they play hard ball with BT & SKY to get a fair deal, I'm not advocating we get the full amount by percentage of sales in Scotland, but we should at least be getting way more than they offering. To me it looks like they went in with their heads down with the begging bowl out after the Setanta deal went bust and didn't haggle or say this is what we want because we know how much all the sports packages you sell in Scotland and we deserve it and not only that the extra money would make our leagues a better product making it more attractive to sell even more packages.

I do not have a sports package although I have in the past because I refuse to fund that abomination down south that is sucking the life blood and talent from our league making our leagues even more vulnerable to plunder of our best talent because our clubs cannot afford to keep them where they belong. Not only that I feel this would have a knock on effect in the National team because most of our players play in the same league and know each others game which helps build team rapport.

• 3 weeks later...

Daily Record reporting today that BT are set to bid more than Setanta's final (ultimately unfulfilled) deal to take the full exclusive rights. That would be £31m+ per season. 

I think if BT play it right we could get "SPFL TV" in all but name. Put all Scottish games on BT Sport 3 and sell it as a standalone channel as well as part of the full pack. Fill the week with highlights from all divisions and some kind of magazine show with interviews and features. 

And obviously continue to show the secondary Champions League and Europa League games (or Celtic, if they're involved), plus some European football. 

Archived