TV Deal negotiations

There is no reason why the away team should be compensated for a televised league game. They haven't suffered any financial detriment by having the game moved. Quite the opposite, in fact, as their regular appearances on TV allow them to increase their support and sponsorship deals.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bully Wee Villa said:

There is no reason why the away team should be compensated for a televised league game. They haven't suffered any financial detriment by having the game moved. Quite the opposite, in fact, as their regular appearances on TV allow them to increase their support and sponsorship deals.

The away team doesn't get compensated.  Neither does the home team.  It goes in a pot and is distributed as prize money.

Question? I rather enjoyed last season watching the Championship highlights on Sportscene as well as a run through the lower leagues results. Now they do not show them any more, is it because some club got promoted and decided not to cater for the rest of the fans?

Really is a loss not seeing highlights from our other leagues.

Question? I rather enjoyed last season watching the Championship highlights on Sportscene as well as a run through the lower leagues results. Now they do not show them any more, is it because some club got promoted and decided not to cater for the rest of the fans?

STV used to show highlights of all the old first division games years ago. Think it was called football first. Was on Sunday teatime never missed it. Love to see it back again.

24 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

It was fantastic for us last year with Falkirk, Hibs and Sevco going hammer and tongs at each other.

But even leaving last year to one side, the utterly cynical abandonment of lower league football by our craven state broadcasters is disgusting.

BBC Alba are reducing championship games to only 6 I think and your team can't be the home team twice reducing the number of 5.15 K.O on Saturdays. On a separate note the BBC really should show the SPFL games straight after MOTD in the old Football league slot, this would make it better value for the licence fee payer and increase the profile of Scottish football.  Anyone know how many viewers sportscene gets? MOTD costs £50 per viewer would be good to get the BBC to invest the game up here. 

26 minutes ago, ftk said:

STV used to show highlights of all the old first division games years ago. Think it was called football first. Was on Sunday teatime never missed it. Love to see it back again.

22 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

It was fantastic for us last year with Falkirk, Hibs and Sevco going hammer and tongs at each other.

But even leaving last year to one side, the utterly cynical abandonment of lower league football by our craven state broadcasters is disgusting.

Bit of a pisser eh? Was nice to see the emerging talent in the lower leagues, young players destined for great careers. Way too much focus on the top tier alone imo, plenty of decent games to see highlights of in the lower leagues, will be sadly missed.

10 hours ago, Adam101 said:

BBC Alba are reducing championship games to only 6 I think and your team can't be the home team twice reducing the number of 5.15 K.O on Saturdays. On a separate note the BBC really should show the SPFL games straight after MOTD in the old Football league slot, this would make it better value for the licence fee payer and increase the profile of Scottish football.  Anyone know how many viewers sportscene gets? MOTD costs £50 per viewer would be good to get the BBC to invest the game up here. 

The SPFL put a ridiculously high price on the Saturday highlights rights (if they even offer them at all) because the clubs want to push their own online TV packages. That's also why highlights aren't available on YouTube until 6pm Sunday.

Sky can show goals on Sky Sports News and Goals on Sunday because, well, just because. The SPFL aren't exactly going to turn round and tell one of their main sources of revenue, that would drop coverage in a heartbeat, that they can't show same-day highlights of non-live games.

16 hours ago, Adam101 said:

BBC Alba are reducing championship games to only 6 I think and your team can't be the home team twice reducing the number of 5.15 K.O on Saturdays.

Source? Counting the announced live games we've got two live 5.15 games at Cappielow. Will probably be more given our run in.

Unless you're talking about next season, that is.

BBC Alba's coverage is usually very good, and it's great getting to see Rovers in away games that I usually wouldn't have bothered with. But they really are a waste of time for everyone concerned. Barely anyone watches, clubs lose money, fans inconvenienced with a Saturday teatime kick off.

Would be pretty pleased to see them punted, unless they can pay a bit more.

1 hour ago, The Naitch said:

Source? Counting the announced live games we've got two live 5.15 games at Cappielow. Will probably be more given our run in.

Unless you're talking about next season, that is.

Apologies was talking about next season.

DAFC chairman - Q: Does the Club receive income for BBC Alba games which are televised?
A: The money from Alba goes into a pot rather than coming to the Club that hosts the game. This is a major problem because the gates are well down if televised, as are all the other income flows within the ground on the night. Next season’s games will reduce from 16 to 6, and we are promised that any one team would only host a home game once. It is different with the Scottish Cup where you do receive income directly. 

Was discussed at the quarterly meeting between Supporters and BOD full story - http://dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=Supporters`_Council_-_February_2017&ID=9806

11 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Apologies was talking about next season.

DAFC chairman - Q: Does the Club receive income for BBC Alba games which are televised?
A: The money from Alba goes into a pot rather than coming to the Club that hosts the game. This is a major problem because the gates are well down if televised, as are all the other income flows within the ground on the night. Next season’s games will reduce from 16 to 6, and we are promised that any one team would only host a home game once. It is different with the Scottish Cup where you do receive income directly. 

Was discussed at the quarterly meeting between Supporters and BOD full story - http://dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=Supporters`_Council_-_February_2017&ID=9806

Thanks for that. Shame that it's a reduced deal.

SPFL highlights should be in the Match of the Day slot with either MotD following after or EPL highlights tagged onto the end of sportscene like they did when I was a kid

This is how fucking spineless the SPFL are when it comes to negotiating.

The EPL is worth £1.4 billion a year and the current SPFL sponsorship is worth £10.5 million. If you were to look at it as a percentage against the EPL money it doesn't even match 1 percent, in fact 1% of the EPL's money is £14 million.

As a percentage of revenue BT and SKY take from Scotland must be close to 10% if using the population as a bench mark.

The SPFL should have hard balled with BT/SKY to wrestle at least another £20 million extra on top of the £10 million they already surrendered into sucking boaby for.

I personally if I was in the SPFL would have done everything possible to get that revenue they are stealing back from the Scottish public by threatening to go to Government lobbying how unfair the TV deals are between the two leagues and publicly speaking out to those that have sports packages in Scotland to also threaten to cancel their subscriptions for a fair deal. To be honest SKY/BT can afford a puny £20 million extra a season even if they should be funding nearer 10% of what the EPL gets.

My opinion there.

16 hours ago, hellbhoy said:

This is how fucking spineless the SPFL are when it comes to negotiating.

The EPL is worth £1.4 billion a year and the current SPFL sponsorship is worth £10.5 million. If you were to look at it as a percentage against the EPL money it doesn't even match 1 percent, in fact 1% of the EPL's money is £14 million.

As a percentage of revenue BT and SKY take from Scotland must be close to 10% if using the population as a bench mark.

The SPFL should have hard balled with BT/SKY to wrestle at least another £20 million extra on top of the £10 million they already surrendered into sucking boaby for.

I personally if I was in the SPFL would have done everything possible to get that revenue they are stealing back from the Scottish public by threatening to go to Government lobbying how unfair the TV deals are between the two leagues and publicly speaking out to those that have sports packages in Scotland to also threaten to cancel their subscriptions for a fair deal. To be honest SKY/BT can afford a puny £20 million extra a season even if they should be funding nearer 10% of what the EPL gets.

My opinion there.

Where are you getting the £10.5M figure from btw? I thought with the combined Sky and BT sport deals the SPFL made closer to £19M per season. It's still a shite state of affairs either way.

On 13.2.2017 at 22:34, Monkey Tennis said:

The problem isn't just that the OF are always on.

It's that TV money is dished out as prize money, giving most of it to the pair of them, although it's now less skewed than in SPL days.

It's also that unless they're playing each other, the OF clubs really only get shown in away matches, thus ensuring that it's the other sides whose gates take the hit.

Isn't Stewart Milne partly to blame for that? After Rangers went bye bye there was a vote to amend the 11-1 voting structure and he sided with Celtic to keep things the same.

That article on Sporting Life was excellent btw, and as for the suggestion of streaming, I would happily subscribe to an SPFL channel if it meant I could watch Scottish games online. I can't see it being prohibitively expensive to produce these days, and as long as it wasn't costing stupid money to subscribe it would be an easy sell, particularly if it meant being able to watch games involving neither Celtic or Rangers. You could even tie it into season ticket sales, in that if you buy a season ticket you can pay a bit extra and get a code that lets you watch your teams away games online, or something like that.

46 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

Where are you getting the £10.5M figure from btw? I thought with the combined Sky and BT sport deals the SPFL made closer to £19M per season. It's still a shite state of affairs either way.

Apologies Mordecai, The deal is around £15 million per season which by the way is still a fucking shite deal no matter how you look at it. The £10.6 million was for the BBC's contribution towards the pot split over four years which is near the cash Gary fucking Lineker gets a year for hosting MoD on the BBC.

On other websites other folk are claiming a fair deal for televising Scottish football should be in excess of £100 million and still gives the sponsors a healthy profit from Scots who have taken out Sports packages with these corrupt companies, who have taken it upon themselves to use vital cash to bloat out the EPL to make it the richest league in the world that would otherwise make our league as competitive as the EPL in terms of spending power.

I still think the SPFL have no fucking balls after screwing up the original SKY deal in favour of the doomed Setanta deal and should have played hard ball with them because there would be a national uproar if these companies failed to give the SPFL a sponsorship deal because the SPFL were holding out for a fair and proper deal. I'm sure many a Scotsman would have taken a stand and threatened to cancel their Sports packages in light of this insult to our game.

No matter how you look at it it's basically the TV companies taking the piss because they peddle the EPL as the richest league in the world and that somehow we Scots would rather throw our money at them to watch the EPL than have money thrown at our leagues to make it a far better product than it is.

It's basic arithmetic, give our SPFL a fairer deal and we can hold onto our brightest talent and import some high quality players. Our league gets better and most likely will have the players to progress further in European competitions which then gains interest and viewers in Scotland and may even sell more Sports packages in Scotland making more money for these robbing b*****ds.

I am also fucking fed up of being a feeder league to the EPL who pay a pittance for our talent and then suddenly because they are playing in the EPL are worth up to 10 times more than they paid for them.

Rant over.

Whoever said that BT Sport want to make a dedicated SPFL channel, I could see it amalgamating with BT Sport ESPN, having the Scottish stuff during the day and all the American sports later on at Night, would be a win-win as I would imagine BT will be losing a decent amount of money on that channel.

1 hour ago, hellbhoy said:

Apologies Mordecai, The deal is around £15 million per season which by the way is still a fucking shite deal no matter how you look at it. The £10.6 million was for the BBC's contribution towards the pot split over four years which is near the cash Gary fucking Lineker gets a year for hosting MoD on the BBC.

On other websites other folk are claiming a fair deal for televising Scottish football should be in excess of £100 million and still gives the sponsors a healthy profit from Scots who have taken out Sports packages with these corrupt companies, who have taken it upon themselves to use vital cash to bloat out the EPL to make it the richest league in the world that would otherwise make our league as competitive as the EPL in terms of spending power.

I still think the SPFL have no fucking balls after screwing up the original SKY deal in favour of the doomed Setanta deal and should have played hard ball with them because there would be a national uproar if these companies failed to give the SPFL a sponsorship deal because the SPFL were holding out for a fair and proper deal. I'm sure many a Scotsman would have taken a stand and threatened to cancel their Sports packages in light of this insult to our game.

No matter how you look at it it's basically the TV companies taking the piss because they peddle the EPL as the richest league in the world and that somehow we Scots would rather throw our money at them to watch the EPL than have money thrown at our leagues to make it a far better product than it is.

It's basic arithmetic, give our SPFL a fairer deal and we can hold onto our brightest talent and import some high quality players. Our league gets better and most likely will have the players to progress further in European competitions which then gains interest and viewers in Scotland and may even sell more Sports packages in Scotland making more money for these robbing b*****ds.

I am also fucking fed up of being a feeder league to the EPL who pay a pittance for our talent and then suddenly because they are playing in the EPL are worth up to 10 times more than they paid for them.

Rant over.

You're in cloud cuckoo land.

Archived