TV Deal negotiations

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, the jambo-rocker said:

Really good read as always from the football life, it's true though, the TV companies will start to take notice when the Old Firm games (ugh) are streamed on YouTube whilst 2,000 people watch Kabaddi on Sky Sports.

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/01/2017 at 23:50, Marr1 said:

Really good read as always from the football life, it's true though, the TV companies will start to take notice when the Old Firm games (ugh) are streamed on YouTube whilst 2,000 people watch Kabaddi on Sky Sports.

Is that website from 1996?

1 hour ago, ftk said:

Bt sport and spfl are apparantly keen on launching a channel dedicated to spfl similar to sky sports formula one channel. It would show live games, highlights, club news etc.

That's the only way I could see a "dedicated" SPFL channel working, coming as part of another sports package. 

The numbers just don't work for something standalone.

I'd be wary about a dedicated SPFL channel. The cost of BT Sport for Sky customers seems to go up every other month (currently north of £25 IIRC), so unless this channel was included as part of that package, the cost could be prohibitive.

I'd be wary about a dedicated SPFL channel. The cost of BT Sport for Sky customers seems to go up every other month (currently north of £25 IIRC), so unless this channel was included as part of that package, the cost could be prohibitive.

No it's not. It's £22.99 and has been for over a year. The exact same price as it is for me to add Sky onto my Virgin package. BT Sport is also free if you have Bt TV which is only £3 tacked onto their BB.

If it wasn't included in my Virgin package I'd be all over that.

No it's not. It's £22.99 and has been for over a year. The exact same price as it is for me to add Sky onto my Virgin package. BT Sport is also free if you have Bt TV which is only £3 tacked onto their BB.

If it wasn't included in my Virgin package I'd be all over that.

I'm paying sick-squid for the BT Sports package and another fiver to make that HD.  But I think that's because I have BT Infinity.  They lured me in with a free year plus a pound a month to make that HD.  Some inflation there.

I'm paying sick-squid for the BT Sports package and another fiver to make that HD.  But I think that's because I have BT Infinity.  They lured me in with a free year plus a pound a month to make that HD.  Some inflation there.

I think BT sports is so much better value than Sky Sports. Hope SPFL signs an exclusive deal with BT sports and gets rid of Sky.

The problem with televised football in Scotland is it's a vicious circle, all the TV companies want to show is games involving The Rangers and Celtic as they get the biggest audience which then attracts all the armchair fans to those two clubs, as if you're from Motherwell you can watch Motherwell 4 times a season or one of those two 20+ times so inevitably the armchair fans follow one of them.  Their fan bases continue to grow giving them more money and the league gets even more uncompetitive.  

Until we can get a TV package which shows games more evenly throughout the league as you get with EPL you will never close this gap and it will continue to grow, SKY is terrible for our game as all the want to show are the cheeks, we need a broadcaster who will allow an armchair fan from Motherwell to be able to watch Motherwell and not just when they play the cheeks.  SPFL TV is the obvious answer as we could dictate what games are shown and what our league structure is  but I don't see it happening. 

I know the bigger teams are always on TV more than the rest in any league but in Scotland it is ridiculously skewed in favour of two teams.  

If all they want is Celtic and Sevco games why is the deal for 60 and not 40-something? (Every Old Firm away game, plus a handful of home ones for flag day, trophy presentation etc.)

Edit: Motherwell v Hearts was on BT last week, FYI. 

11 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

The problem with televised football in Scotland is it's a vicious circle, all the TV companies want to show is games involving The Rangers and Celtic as they get the biggest audience which then attracts all the armchair fans to those two clubs, as if you're from Motherwell you can watch Motherwell 4 times a season or one of those two 20+ times so inevitably the armchair fans follow one of them.  Their fan bases continue to grow giving them more money and the league gets even more uncompetitive.  

Until we can get a TV package which shows games more evenly throughout the league as you get with EPL you will never close this gap and it will continue to grow, SKY is terrible for our game as all the want to show are the cheeks, we need a broadcaster who will allow an armchair fan from Motherwell to be able to watch Motherwell and not just when they play the cheeks.  SPFL TV is the obvious answer as we could dictate what games are shown and what our league structure is  but I don't see it happening. 

I know the bigger teams are always on TV more than the rest in any league but in Scotland it is ridiculously skewed in favour of two teams.  

The problem isn't just that the OF are always on.

It's that TV money is dished out as prize money, giving most of it to the pair of them, although it's now less skewed than in SPL days.

It's also that unless they're playing each other, the OF clubs really only get shown in away matches, thus ensuring that it's the other sides whose gates take the hit.

If the SPFL had any baws they'd have negotiated a deal that is in line with the revenue streams coming out of Scotland, although I am not too sure the amount of folk who have a SKY/BT sports package in Scotland the amount of money they are syphoning off to sponsor the EPL is an insult to our game.

If they didn't get what they wanted they could have threatened to publicly speak out for Scottish customers to cancel their sports packages because SKY/BT were ripping the pish right out of the Scottish punters and thus even threatening a huge financial gap in funding the bloated EPL.

Hundreds of millions of pounds are paid to SKY/BT sports packages in Scotland, it's about time they paid up to help make the SPFL a stronger and better product rather than rob us just because our associations have no balls to do the right thing.

My opinion anyway. :P

22 minutes ago, The Master said:

If all they want is Celtic and Sevco games why is the deal for 60 and not 40-something? (Every Old Firm away game, plus a handful of home ones for flag day, trophy presentation etc.)

Edit: Motherwell v Hearts was on BT last week, FYI. 

http://spfl.co.uk/tv-games/

Here is the fixtures on TV how many of SKYs games don't feature one of the Old Firm? BT are better but it's still much easier to watch the Old Firm than any other club.  How many Dundee games not involving the Old Firm are there a season?  21 fixtures nearly half involve one or both of the Old Firm take away BBCAlba it's more than half.  So Motherwell were on once wow!

Not a single Motherwell game on that list FYI

12 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's that TV money is dished out as prize money, giving most of it to the pair of them, although it's now less skewed than in SPL days.

It's also that unless they're playing each other, the OF clubs really only get shown in away matches, thus ensuring that it's the other sides whose gates take the hit.

I agree we need to look at every way to stop the gap growing level TV coverage is just one thing.  At least they looked at the prize money when the SPFL was formed. 

Hit the nail on the head. If money was more evenly spread other teams would become stronger and the tv networks would actually want to show other teams. Just have to look how often Leicester were on live last season.

Archived