TV Deal negotiations

I'm not talking about just highlights. I'm talking 2/3 live games per week. A proper highlights show. Other shows that cover everything you could ever think of in terms of Scottish football. Historic matches. Basically an all rounder.

We have a hardcore following of just over 250,000 fans that go to games every second week plus who knows how many lapsed fans/ casual fans.

I reckon 250,000 is a realistic target for subs

Where's this 250,000 coming from?

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Tartantony said:

I'm not talking about just highlights. I'm talking 2/3 live games per week. A proper highlights show. Other shows that cover everything you could ever think of in terms of Scottish football. Historic matches. Basically an all rounder.

We have a hardcore following of just over 250,000 fans that go to games every second week plus who knows how many lapsed fans/ casual fans.

I reckon 250,000 is a realistic target for subs

250,000 paying how much each and how often.... 

i think 250,000 is stretching it.... 

6 hours ago, Cerberus said:

12 million is pish. It more than likely will be split so the diddies get a couple of grand each and the **** and **** get most of it.

I think it's 12 mil from Sky and 8 from BT each company, it comes to £20.25m altogether 

An idea with SPFL TV is that you can add matched from leagues that don't get covered here as a filler, aka Ireland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Belgium, Austria and Poland which would give any new TV channel some more substance (with the numbers of Poles in the UK, I would imagine getting Elkstalasa matches would be a decent sized market)

11 minutes ago, Booker-T said:

250,000 paying how much each and how often.... 

i think 250,000 is stretching it.... 

Say £10/month, or £7.99 a month if you're a ST holder at a SPFL club

I'd swap my Netflix for Scottish Fitba Telly. Some programmes which could be used as filler -
Coisty's Calamity: a fun filled hour of own goals and gaffes presented by everyone's favourite jovial ex-Rangers manager.
Get Fit with John Collins: instructional Pilates and yoga with the shirtless Adonis. Motivational talks during the warm-down.
Bazza's Kitchen: Barry Ferguson doing cookery classes, cooking favourites such as the Monster Munch sandwich and the Chips 'n' Red Sauce.

Just now, RussellAnderson said:

I'd swap my Netflix for Scottish Fitba Telly. Some programmes which could be used as filler -
Coisty's Calamity: a fun filled hour of own goals and gaffes presented by everyone's favourite jovial ex-Rangers manager.
Get Fit with John Collins: instructional Pilates and yoga with the shirtless Adonis. Motivational talks during the warm-down.
Bazza's Kitchen: Barry Ferguson doing cookery classes, cooking favourites such as the Monster Munch sandwich and the Chips 'n' Red Sauce.

You could have Financial Advice shows such as Get Rich With Romanov and Craig Whyte's How to Buy a multi-million pound company for just £1

Cathro's Computers - Ian's guide to modern technology

Hearts manager talks you through the latest in must-have ipads, laptops etc. Also features a segment where he tells you all about his favourite saves on Football Manager

13 hours ago, Marr1 said:

The Belgium League gets £50.1m per season, from next year the Norweigien Eliteserien gets £39m per season, the SPFL should be looking for a figure North of £40m per season or should tell the TV companies to f**k off and launch SPFL.TV instead

These countries have pretty much every game televised across the weekend, which means they're selling a lot more games than we currently do.  If folk are willing to sacrifice their 3pm on a Saturday obsession then we would be able to get more money, but I feel as though most fans would be strongly against selling out that tradition.

SPFL tv is highly unlikely, very much putting all your eggs in an unknown basket. Say you get 250,000 which I think is very far fetched, and it's shite. Soon you've only got 100,000 and you are making less than you were with someone like Sky/BT. I'm thinking set-up costs would be pretty enormous as well.

I think this is a reason why SKY don't do an EPL channel. I've said for years that if you could get Sky sports for £10 a month cheaper without the EPL and only the EPL a heap of folk would jump at it. That's surely what a huge chunk of a sky sports sub goes towards, give me everything else (golf, tennis, all other fitba, NFL, cricket, rugby) and poke the EPL, make it cheaper. Win. But they are selling the whole package.

7 hours ago, deej said:

Cathro's Computers - Ian's guide to modern technology

Hearts manager talks you through the latest in must-have ipads, laptops etc. Also features a segment where he tells you all about his favourite saves on Football Manager

Sounds pretty good, he can give you tips on tactics and training regimes for FM2017.  Followed by Boyd's Fish Suppers From Around Scotland.

Thistle are utterly shite in front of the cameras* so I'd happily let other clubs get the lion's share of televised games :rolleyes:

*admittedly most of our televised games are against Celtic and Aberdeen.

14 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Can add on Under 20/Reserve games too.

Even dedicate the channel to a different club one day a week, showing historic matches, player profiles, ex-player interviews ect so it's an incentive to get as many fans from across the divisions to sign up as possible.

European qualifiiers for all the teams as well, so you don't have to work out which dodgy stream you have to watch or, even worse, subscribe to Premier Sports.

A potential Scottish football service could have League, league cup, scottish cup, irn-bru cup, European club qualifiers, Scotland friendlies, age-grade internationals, the equivalent for the women, and that's before you go into anything like magazine-type shows or anything like that. Some of these could be exclusive, others could be shared, with delayed transmission of a sky/bt game on the sub service.

There are a whole host of ways you could build the deal, but while you have someone leading the negotiations who thinks that only Celtic and Rangers are worth showing, we won't get anything better than we have at the moment.

10 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

European qualifiiers for all the teams as well, so you don't have to work out which dodgy stream you have to watch or, even worse, subscribe to Premier Sports.

A potential Scottish football service could have League, league cup, scottish cup, irn-bru cup, European club qualifiers, Scotland friendlies, age-grade internationals, the equivalent for the women, and that's before you go into anything like magazine-type shows or anything like that. Some of these could be exclusive, others could be shared, with delayed transmission of a sky/bt game on the sub service.

There are a whole host of ways you could build the deal, but while you have someone leading the negotiations who thinks that only Celtic and Rangers are worth showing, we won't get anything better than we have at the moment.

We're not just talking about one man who feel this way though.  It is chairmen of the clubs too.  Look at the collective dummies being spat out at the fixtures when certain clubs were getting one less home game against one of the two.

It requires a collective change in mindset across the board.  If you were to move away from Sky/BT then it may be possible as you're no longer relying on the interest generated from down South (Sky certainly are OF focused because they think some in England may watch that).

Totally agree with your first two paragraphs, would be so refreshing to see all of those games covered.  I'm very sceptical that sufficient demand or willingness from investors will be there to make it happen though unfortunately.

12 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

H*n vs Food: Boydy takes on various chip shop challenges around the country.

An idiot abroad: Boydy takes on various cultural escapades. 

A place in the h*n: Boydy takes on his new job as an estate agent in larkhall.

Louis theroux special: a cultural genocide?

Louis Theroux travels around towns in the west of Scotland meeting the endangered species of Protestant loyalists.

In Coatbridge, a fat unemployed man in a rangers top looks across the street and sees a fat, unemployed man in a Celtic top.

"SEE THAT, THATS THEY FUCKIN SNP's FAULT. AND IF YOU DINNAE BELIEVE ME YOU WATCH THAT SPORTSCENE, SOME OF THEY PUNDITS ARE SOUTHERN IRISH!"

The investigation continues.

Archived