Wheelchair v Buggy

ICTChris

2 hours ago, andrewh said:

My brother is a wheelchair user and couldn't find a disabled space to park at Tesco.

He then saw an able bodied man with his young daughter going to a car parked in a disabled space and so he drove up and challenged him.

I was nearby and overheard the conversation. It was something like:

Excuse me but why are you parked in a disabled space when you're clearly not disabled?

Because I've got my six year old daughter with me.

But neither of you are disabled.

She's more important than you so tough.

I admit I laughed, but my brother didn't find it funny, not in the least!

It's the way some (increasingly many) people are nowadays. Selfish. Me, me, me.

I had the mirror of this happen to me in Tesco, guy parked in the last parent and child space to take his disabled Mrs inside.

His argument was "people who shouldn't had parked in the last disabled space".

The irony was lost on him of course.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see both sides of the argument, but we shouldn't be treating certain people differently than others because where does it stop?

what if the bus was completely full, do they ask people to start getting off to allow a wheelchair person to get on? Do they have to be disabled or is being in a wheelchair enough? Should they start asking people if they can wait until the next one to get off to let someone who is in a hurry to get on? If you have 2/3 wheelchairs wanting the same space do we start comparing disabilities?

Public transport should stick to a first come first served basis or make areas for Wheelchair users only.

As for helping people, i can see why people are reluctant there has been plenty of instances where people have been abused for just trying to help. It happened to me, sort of, i stood up to let a pregnant woman sit down.... well i though she was pregnant.... apparently she is just big boned. at least i think she said that in amongst the swear words.

3 minutes ago, steelmen said:

I can see both sides of the argument, but we shouldn't be treating certain people differently than others because where does it stop?

what if the bus was completely full, do they ask people to start getting off to allow a wheelchair person to get on? Do they have to be disabled or is being in a wheelchair enough? Should they start asking people if they can wait until the next one to get off to let someone who is in a hurry to get on? If you have 2/3 wheelchairs wanting the same space do we start comparing disabilities?

Public transport should stick to a first come first served basis or make areas for Wheelchair users only.

As for helping people, i can see why people are reluctant there has been plenty of instances where people have been abused for just trying to help. It happened to me, sort of, i stood up to let a pregnant woman sit down.... well i though she was pregnant.... apparently she is just big boned. at least i think she said that in amongst the swear words.

I tried to help a woman get her buggy off the train but she shouted at me to 'leave it alone, what makes you think I need any help?'  

Not the first time this happened, either.  Maybe I need to retire my scruffy old raincoat.

2 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Of course wheelchair users get the wheelchair space ffs.

what this does prove however is folk on the internet will argue about anything just for the sake of arguing.

I'll admit i am not on Lothian buses that often but i think it says please leave this area clear for wheelchairs and push chairs.

Its really easily sorted....no seats downstairs,or all of a single decker...plenty of room for buggies and wheelchairs,at a cost of thousands per vehicle,and the elderly and disabled not in a wheelchair would just have to stand.

55 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Of course wheelchair users get the wheelchair space ffs.

what this does prove however is folk on the internet will argue about anything just for the sake of arguing.

If you think we're bad have a look at this..

http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKSC/2017/4.html

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The woman hogging the wheelchair space interrupted her mobile phone conversation to claim that the buggy was of a mysterious non-folding variety. Modern world eh! 

There's a fair number of non-folding buggies about.

Buggy we used in the uk folded into a car seat. Great for buggied and wheelchaired buses and fantastic for stairs (doona if you are intrigued)

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Are they not called prams?

Aye, them tae.

Rather than folding up like an umbrella, some of these buggies fold flat (to fit in a car boot) and they'll still take up a fair chunk of space on a bus - not sure where you'd be expected to store those.

This one, for example.

1 minute ago, NewBornBairn said:

Maybe if you're planning on taking a buggy on a bus you should buy a buggy that fits on a bus? Revolutionary thinking I know.

I'm not taking sides on this one - it's not a taking-sides issue - but a non-driving mum with a kid in a buggy, a couple of bags of shopping and a bag with nappies and other bits and pieces, isn't going to go for a super-telescoping, slip-it-in-your-pocket buggy.

Maybe buses should have two bays big enough for either a buggy/pram or a wheelchair.  It's not going to solve everything but it would be a start.

Archived