Staggies v Arabs

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will Jim O'Brien go straight into the team?  McIntyre tends not to do that with players signed during the season, but O'Brien has been playing with at least some regularity for Shrewsbury and started a league match last Saturday.

With Gardyne and Burke still out, McIntyre would need to balance the flanks out somehow.  O'Brien seems a right winger rather than a left-winger, so he is competing directly with Franks and Dingwall, while Dow tends to be used on the left.

The starting shape in the derby win against ICT was:

Fox

Fraser Davies McEveley VdW

Chow

Routis Woods

Boyce    Schalk     Dow

I wouldn't mind that again, but with Boyce on the left and O'Brien on the right.  McIntyre was in the press this week about Boyce having changed position which brings another dimension to the play.  I think he could do just as well on the left as on the right.  Boyce isn't the world's best defender, but if drifted from the left wing with Toshney at right-back then he's not going to have to worry too much about his marker bombing past him all the time.

Without at least one chalk-on-the-boots winger, I'd be inclined to think that the narrow shape would play into United's hands a bit.

Looking forward to seeing Murdoch again in the United team.  He isn't technically gifted like some midfielders but doesn't let the team down - he was hard done by in being released.  I always enjoy watching Scott Fraser, even if most of his play is just pleasing on the eye and not incisive enough.

Can see us making few chances here, I'd go with:

Bell

VDS Durnan Edge Robson

Telfer Toshney

Spittal Andreu Tope

Murray

Toshney and Dixon been poor recently, VDS back I heard and would stick Robson back in again.

Would like to see toshney in cm, as he had look better there than bombscare at fullback. Give Telfer some more game time, Likes of Flood and Fraser need a rest as have been poor recently.

Would go with two wingers, and Murray up top...wouldn't be against the new boy up top either to see what he is like.

On 19/01/2017 at 09:35, bunglebonce said:

Will Jim O'Brien go straight into the team?  McIntyre tends not to do that with players signed during the season, but O'Brien has been playing with at least some regularity for Shrewsbury and started a league match last Saturday.

With Gardyne and Burke still out, McIntyre would need to balance the flanks out somehow.  O'Brien seems a right winger rather than a left-winger, so he is competing directly with Franks and Dingwall, while Dow tends to be used on the left.

The starting shape in the derby win against ICT was:

Fox

Fraser Davies McEveley VdW

Chow

Routis Woods

Boyce    Schalk     Dow

I wouldn't mind that again, but with Boyce on the left and O'Brien on the right.  McIntyre was in the press this week about Boyce having changed position which brings another dimension to the play.  I think he could do just as well on the left as on the right.  Boyce isn't the world's best defender, but if drifted from the left wing with Toshney at right-back then he's not going to have to worry too much about his marker bombing past him all the time.

Without at least one chalk-on-the-boots winger, I'd be inclined to think that the narrow shape would play into United's hands a bit.

Looking forward to seeing Murdoch again in the United team.  He isn't technically gifted like some midfielders but doesn't let the team down - he was hard done by in being released.  I always enjoy watching Scott Fraser, even if most of his play is just pleasing on the eye and not incisive enough.

Yup that sounds good to me too, like you said with O'Brien playing regularly/recently I can see him starting today.

Kind of gutted I'm going to miss this one, it's always nice to see these wee teams getting a chance to visit a top division club.

2-0 to The County, Schalk and Routis

Archived