Philippines

Alex_14

You were saying?

Allegedly a criminal himself, but married in November, dead By January. Mmmm

Say what you like about them Thais, they are nothing if not efficient in such matters! Would take a Filipina at least twice as long to get round to it.

P.S. couldn't open the link so maybe I've gotten the wrong end of the stick and it was a Filipina!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Say what you like about them Thais, they are nothing if not efficient in such matters! Would take a Filipina at least twice as long to get round to it.

P.S. couldn't open the link so maybe I've gotten the wrong end of the stick and it was a Filipina!

:-) True. Fair play to the Thai's for efficiency.

And yes, it's in Thailand. The video is a model of efficiency

1 hour ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

:-) True. Fair play to the Thai's for efficiency.

And yes, it's in Thailand. The video is a model of efficiency

FFs nearly chocked on my Chang.

Not 2 words I see very often in same sentence.

As for Thai women, snakes with tits. I like it^_^.

FFs nearly chocked on my Chang.
Not 2 words I see very often in same sentence.
As for Thai women, snakes with tits. I like it[emoji5].

;-) the absolute irony. But in fairness, when south East Asian women feel scorned, they do become hellishly efficient in there retribution.

Duterte announces his 6 month war on drugs will go his full term to 2022. Then it gets suspended as he 'discovers' his police force is corrupt and he will clear the police force up before re-starting the war on drugs. The catalyst for this 'discovery', the international outcry and the kidnapping and murder of a south Korean businessman by the police. Murdered in a police station and the police pretended he was still alive to collect the ransom from his family. This isn't new, it's been happening for years. Kidnapping, including foreigners, is common with a large percentage being perpetrated by or with police knowledge (think I mentioned this a good while ago).

His increasing the salaries of the police and teachers when he took office was a simplistic solution to a inherent problem. How many of the 7000+ extra judicial killings have been for profit or other non drug related issues by corrupt individuals?

On the plus side, Muji opened its first store.

Duterte announces his 6 month war on drugs will go his full term to 2022. Then it gets suspended as he 'discovers' his police force is corrupt and he will clear the police force up before re-starting the war on drugs. The catalyst for this 'discovery', the international outcry and the kidnapping and murder of a south Korean businessman by the police. Murdered in a police station and the police pretended he was still alive to collect the ransom from his family. This isn't new, it's been happening for years. Kidnapping, including foreigners, is common with a large percentage being perpetrated by or with police knowledge (think I mentioned this a good while ago).

His increasing the salaries of the police and teachers when he took office was a simplistic solution to a inherent problem. How many of the 7000+ extra judicial killings have been for profit or other non drug related issues by corrupt individuals?

On the plus side, Muji opened its first store.

That's the inherent problem with sub-judicial killings - they're carried out without any real authority to ok the 'hit' and limited recourse for the families of those killed as part of 'score settling'.

I don't disagree with the raising of salaries of police in itself, it's logical in a sense, but it will not significantly reduce corruption anytime soon for obvious reasons. The whole system of Barangays need dismantling IMO.

Anyhow, the opening of Muji pushes all that into the realms of insignificance as you said! I love the sweet n spicy crackers.

The whole system of Barangays need dismantling IMO

So much this! It's what links corruption from the highest level to the 'common man' and makes corruption acceptable in society.
They serve no real purpose and actually hinder legal representation.
I do agree with increasing the salaries of the police and teachers, but should have been done after a 'clear out' and the ground rules set'. Maybe more a bonus system than doubling salary. Maybe something like turning up to work for the rural teachers!

So much this! It's what links corruption from the highest level to the 'common man' and makes corruption acceptable in society.
They serve no real purpose and actually hinder legal representation.
I do agree with increasing the salaries of the police and teachers, but should have been done after a 'clear out' and the ground rules set'. Maybe more a bonus system than doubling salary. Maybe something like turning up to work for the rural teachers!

I've not had to deal with any of the Barangay Captains or other officials , luckily, but it seems the Barangay Hall is always one of the better buildings in the area, nice a/c etc and they also seem to have an official tricicad with blue flashing lights even though it's being ridden by some kid.
Agree that the increases in salaries should have been linked to something tangible that is supporting Duterte's goals but such is the level of corruption no doubt they'd have met all their objectives in the first month. Teachers - I'm not impressed but you get what you pay for- my son goes to an International school but we only pay £600 per year all-in. I heard school teachers were paid about 20,000 pesos per month - £300 - and many are moonlighting doing online teaching earning £1.50 per hour!
My main observation is that change is unlikely to happen because the vast majority of people are either benefiting from the current systems or living off of the monthly remittances from the wives/daughters/aunts working as maids or nurses or the men working as seamen.
It's hard to see a way forward.

I've had several dealings with the Barangay Captain's, including being called to two hearings. Neither of which I bothered with as they have no legal authority. Most Filipinos don't know this and many, having no ability to afford legal council, use the Barangays for dispute settlement. Frankly it's whoever pays the captan the most wins.

Public school teachers out with the heads are paid a pittance and in the rural areas, like Mindanao your lucky if half the teachers get out their bed each day. OFW income is a major part of the GDP of The Philippines and there are, as you say far too many happy to milk that, wife, daughter, aunt.

The fire Duterte has is good, but I think I said before, he is a small time official running a country and really is devoid of any real solutions. Education and less religion for the long term improvement. Destruction of Barangay power and clear out the police and politicians for corruption and simply foreign investment and trade laws for development.

All much, much easier said than done.

Amnesty international suggesting some of the extra judicial killings are a 'crime against humanity' and claim to have evidence of pre-meditated murder and cover ups whilst suggesting 'there appeared to be financial incentives for the killings, with one officer claiming they were given an "under the table" payment for each death, as well as payments from some funeral homes. '

Trying to force a ICC preliminary investigation?

Amnesty international suggesting some of the extra judicial killings are a 'crime against humanity' and claim to have evidence of pre-meditated murder and cover ups whilst suggesting 'there appeared to be financial incentives for the killings, with one officer claiming they were given an "under the table" payment for each death, as well as payments from some funeral homes. '

Trying to force a ICC preliminary investigation?

No surprise to read that. It's one of the main reasons these type of killings are so abhorrent to most - It's too easy to fabricate a case against someone, particularly in a country where fabrication is the norm.

I actually think Duterte has good (or at least the right) intentions but he's out of his depth and, according to rumours, has health issues.

Interesting times.

I'd agree on Duterte's intentions, the country needs a strong leader, but he is massively out his depth and has put the country at huge risk. I read the Amnesty international report last night and it does say 'may be crimes against humanity' and does suggest evidence or pre-meditated and calculated murder. Clearly it is trying to push the ICC. With Duterte, publicly declaring he has authorised these killings and that he himself has carried out murders, leaves him, his police chief and the country exposed to indefensible criminal proceedings (if the witness statements are true and the ICC take action). It's a hell of a state he has thrown the country into. Just need to wait and see what happens next, but continues to leave many badly needed overseas investments in limbo.

Funnily the report does suggest that there must be a review of the police force and Duterte has initiated this, so it's fair to assume he knows he had made a Bollox of things and is flapping around trying to clear his mess up.

Is expect the Philippines to try and pull out the ICC imminently. if the ICC don't start a preliminary investigation, it's a useless piece of bureaucracy.

Its a real frustration as the country can be much more than it is.

• 3 months later...
Well, that was interesting reading. Been unable to convince them we should go elsewhere and tbh, i'm happy to wing it and see what happens. If I get robbed then it's a story at least and I've found decent travel insurance :lol: Here's hoping.

ETA: Places we're looking at are Palawan, Cebu and El Nido - are they OK? Flying in and out of Manila but spending 0 time there.

You'll be glad you took our advice ;-)

US, Australia and UK issued travel warnings and specific threat to tourist/expat kidnappings/executions with the prime target area of Palawan.

Alleged beheading of a local police chief at a roadblock manned by insurgents and a small city been taken over by the same insurgents with an ongoing operation by the military to re-take it.

Martial law installed in Mindanao for the next 60 days with the possibility of it being extended to the whole country.

How's things with yourself @HK Blues? Will be over next week, usual jaunt: Manila/Cavite/Laguna.

Speaking with a few friends who are more concerned about things again. Duterte certainly isn't shying away from things, so could be an interesting few months!

Oh and another bombing in Jakarta, so Indonesia isn't fairing too much better right now.

You'll be glad you took our advice ;-)

US, Australia and UK issued travel warnings and specific threat to tourist/expat kidnappings/executions with the prime target area of Palawan.

Alleged beheading of a local police chief at a roadblock manned by insurgents and a small city been taken over by the same insurgents with an ongoing operation by the military to re-take it.

Martial law installed in Mindanao for the next 60 days with the possibility of it being extended to the whole country.

How's things with yourself @HK Blues? Will be over next week, usual jaunt: Manila/Cavite/Laguna.

Speaking with a few friends who are more concerned about things again. Duterte certainly isn't shying away from things, so could be an interesting few months!

Oh and another bombing in Jakarta, so Indonesia isn't fairing too much better right now.

Hi TM...all is quite here, nothing much going on. Obviously the troubles are concerning, but i still feel where I am is boring enough to stay under the radar - luckily.

Have a good trip when you get here - hopefully one day well grab a San Mig somewhere.

Actually was going to stay on a bit longer this time and do a bit of tourism with the wife and bairn, but the situation right now curtailed that, so just Monday-Friday. It's looking like I'll be over more regular now so that san-mig should happen at some point.

The next few months will be interesting, probably get worse before their better, but maybe things will settle down after all this. Hopefully.

I think Duterte is itching to bring martial law across the whole country and I think he has laid the gauntlet down by saying anything happens on any other island and he will do.

I'd reckon the next few months will be rocky, Duterte is really pushing

Actually was going to stay on a bit longer this time and do a bit of tourism with the wife and bairn, but the situation right now curtailed that, so just Monday-Friday. It's looking like I'll be over more regular now so that san-mig should happen at some point.

The next few months will be interesting, probably get worse before their better, but maybe things will settle down after all this. Hopefully.

I think Duterte is itching to bring martial law across the whole country and I think he has laid the gauntlet down by saying anything happens on any other island and he will do.

I'd reckon the next few months will be rocky, Duterte is really pushing

I'll put the San Migs on ice...the ice bucket is empty now - the champagne I've been keeping on ice for a couple of weeks has been opened to celebrate the Accies win yesterday!

I'll put the San Migs on ice...the ice bucket is empty now - the champagne I've been keeping on ice for a couple of weeks has been opened to celebrate the Accies win yesterday!

:-) Got to say I'm glad Accies pulled it off, hopefully they can save us from relegation next year.

Just when you can maybe buy into Dutertes martial law plan he makes the joke about rape and your left scratching your head!

:-) Got to say I'm glad Accies pulled it off, hopefully they can save us from relegation next year.

Just when you can maybe buy into Dutertes martial law plan he makes the joke about rape and your left scratching your head!

I'm relieved that with you guys and Accies in the same division as us, we're pretty much guaranteed no lower than 10th!

Yep...he's like one of those kids at school who can't seem to avoid screwing something up for no obvious reason.

Where i am, i doubt I'd even notice if Martial Law was in place.

Archived