Do you have a degree?

DA Baracus

10 minutes ago, banana said:

How was your experience with that? What general thinking skills do you think you developed? What was the major take away?

Is this a job interview? :lol:

To answer your question though I really enjoyed the course. It covered a lot of areas and writers that I had previously had some interest in and despite being older than my peers (I went back to uni at 26) I don't think it mattered as the tutorial debates were of a nature that experience helped a bit.

I think that Philosophy, like many subjects, helps to shape your thinking. It moves you from simply having an emotional response to a subject to thinking about why you believe something, what are the foundations of that believe and how you can evidence it. I think that it also helps in teaching you how to then turn that into a coherent argument (if you so choose :)).

The biggest takeaway has to be that it allowed me to go on to do my postgraduate degree and thus end up in my current job. Practical considerations win above all!

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I think that Philosophy, like many subjects, helps to shape your thinking. It moves you from simply having an emotional response to a subject to thinking about why you believe something, what are the foundations of that believe and how you can evidence it. I think that it also helps in teaching you how to then turn that into a coherent argument (if you so choose :)).

Doesn't surprise me given our brief interactions on here.

I've tried reading some classic philosophy texts a few times years ago, but get annoyed at the ramble and constant unpacking of intended meaning, often in obscure terms, that's required. I watch uploaded university lectures from time to time though, always fascinating to gain immediate insights and seeds planted from professors.

There's a famous saying by physicist Richard Feynmen - "If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics." Sounds about the same with Freddy Nietzsche, what's your take on his stuff? :lol:

On 17.1.2017 at 21:17, renton said:

First class Batchelors in Electrical engineering, Msc in Micro-Electro-Mechanics, and a PhD in the same.

Completely fucked up high school and got into it via a an HND at college.

Actually work in the semiconductor industry so it all worked out pretty neatly.

I know quite a few guys over here who now work for ABB but started out with National Semiconductors in Greenock. I get the impression that for the most part they weren't particularly academic minded but they all seem to be doing very well from it.

33 minutes ago, banana said:

Doesn't surprise me given our brief interactions on here.

I've tried reading some classic philosophy texts a few times years ago, but get annoyed at the ramble and constant unpacking of intended meaning, often in obscure terms, that's required. I watch uploaded university lectures from time to time though, always fascinating to gain immediate insights and seeds planted from professors.

There's a famous saying by physicist Richard Feynmen - "If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics." Sounds about the same with Freddy Nietzsche, what's your take on his stuff? :lol:

I agree with P.G Wodehouse on the matter when he has Jeeves saying "You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound" :lol:

Its hard to say whether he is or not as I think Nietzsche is quite a good example of one of the issues in Philosophy, or literature in general, where there will always be some issues around interpretation and that the reader is obliged to bring their own values/beliefs/prejudices into play when reading it. His work is one of a few where there is a lot of debate around what the meaning of his text even is and whether he consistently applies his own beliefs. You can read bits of his work and think you agree with him, then read something similar elsewhere or someone's interpretation and realise that its completely different from what you thought it was. Just as you say, similar to Feyman's quote on quantum mechanics.

I do feel a little sorry for him though, some of his work (mainly Will to Power I think) was appropriated by his sister who was ardent Nazi and so he has been quite misrepresented over the years.

55 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I agree with P.G Wodehouse on the matter when he has Jeeves saying "You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound" :lol:

I think he says of Spinoza that he's rather empirical. Same idea, that Bertie is looking for and would appreciate a philosopher to get into, so Jeeves respectfully gives him potted reviews.

On 1/17/2017 at 13:43, Shandon Par said:

IMG_1282.JPG

I've got me one of those, too (Gatty survivor). A PGCE and the odd Open Uni module, too. I'm currently considering Masters in Education, but another opportunity has opened up in something I'm more interested in which could lead to promotion in the future should I wish, without having to do the Masters... Lots to consider.

On 1/17/2017 at 13:37, Lisa Cuddy said:

I have a degree. It's now mandatory to have one to qualify as a nurse, the diploma isn't good enough anymore apparently. I've no idea why, a lot of more experienced nurses have the diploma and are brilliant. I think it's all a bit of a con and is designed to make nurses take on a more advanced role, responsibility and accountability for the same salary. 

I don't have a degree and have been nursing for nearly 22 years.  I work with nurses who have a degree and their knowledge is woeful - I actually wonder how they even completed the course if I'm honest.  I recently returned to Uni and have completed one module towards gaining mine however I have another two to complete and I found the last one hard going with working full time and having a house and family to look after.  Will no doubt be forced to complete it eventually though.

Working as a Deputy Manager though so not having one hasn't stopped me and I do believe that experience counts greatly.

Currently doing a Business degree at Heriot-Watt, quite enjoy it and if i'm honest i wouldn't really have anything else to do work wise if i wasn't at uni. Although the illusion that a degree shows some sort of intelligence is quickly shattered when you get to uni and realise how many spanners there are kicking about. 

On 19/01/2017 at 12:25, Granny Danger said:

Mermaids are extinct, unicorns ate them all.  I have a mythological degree.

I thought they exported them all to Spain.

1 minute ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Well done

People with 2:1s only think they had a good time at university

And people with 2:2s are the only people who think a 2:2 is a good degree.

Spoiler

Welshbairn BA Fuckwittery UEA 2:2.

Archived