Do you have a degree?

DA Baracus

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dropped out of Glasgow Uni when I was about 19/20 due to being an absolute fanny. Spent most of my time since then doing shit jobs either part time/full time for call centres and the like.

Went the HNC/HND route after deciding to get something resembling an act together as it would then be in stages rather than running the risk of going for a degree and ending up with nothing, now hold an HND in Accountancy... and every single job I could realistically apply for requires either a degree and/or 12 months practice experience, or is in a very remote location/is based down south. At this point I'm not even 100% exactly what sort of role I'd like to go into, which isn't great - but tbf accountancy covers a lot more than just currency (the units covered accounting for raw materials, labour hours and more) Not convinced that going back to Uni would be a good idea or exactly how much funding I'd be eligible for under SAAS anymore, but the Open University mitebcool... someday.

Doing keyboard monkey work at the minute which I don't really mind all that much, no contact whatsoever with the general public which is good as I tend to view the general public in the same way as Alan Partridge. Shitloads of overtime, I smash all of the targets they set, there's no monitoring of piss-breaks which is a big no-no for me in any job I'm doing, I like all of my team leaders and I think they like me, and I'm not a total fanny with money anymore so I'm saving a fair chunk of my wages at the minute, albeit saving without any real purpose.

Feel a bit like I'm playing catch-up with myself after a lot of mistakes I made in my younger days and strugglin' a bit to get to where I'd like to be, but tbh it's not like I've wound up in jail or on heroin or anything of the type which would genuinely leave me 100% fucked for sorting myself out (edit: and even then it's sometimes possible to claw back a happy life). Luckily got no student debt or any debt of any kind whatsoever. Getting there, and there are precedents in my keyboard monkey work of them taking staff who are willing to graft into other, better roles, so I'm optimistic that things will get better.

59 minutes ago, Slenderman said:

Surprised nobody has a degree from the University of Life.

Think I'm close with just Standard Grade and National Certificates and qualifications for Joinery and Building. Can't even find any on-site work just now that lasts for more than a week at a time. 

Did an honours degree in History at Edinburgh as a mature student, and came away with a 2:1.

Really glad I did it - the fact that it was a total waste of time is exactly the point - learning loads, and out of the rat race for 5 years - brilliant.

Would like to do a postgrad in Musicology or Intellectual History, but it'll likely never happen.

As much as I'm a rabid atheist, I'd also be quite interested in studying for a degree in Divinity or something like that - that'll never happen either.

Mind you, my boss has told me I need to be "a corporate animal" these days in the NHS. If I wanted to be that I'd have done an MBA.

Your boss deserves a fatal dose of the bad aids.

If you love the nhs you should administer said dose.

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

^^^Never gets lost, but would know what to do if he did.

Unsurprisingly no degree, but I did Highers when they were hard. Didn't pass many, mind you. When I left school it really was a tiny, clever minority that went to Further Education. There wasn't the same level of expectation. I did get invited to a trip round Glasgow Uni, but loads of us did and I just slipped away to the record shops.

Me too, and also on the open days to Strathclyde Uni, and Caley and Paisley when they were a college and not a Uni.

Yes. A completely useless one in consumer protection law.

Pretty much all I learned in my time at that shitehole of a pretend uni was that the physics lecturer who taught us weights and measures had absolutely fantastic legs and the complete knob of a law lecturer once had a trial for Dundee United and asked where the bar was in a temperance hotel whilst in London watching a Scotland v England game.

After a bit of post-school fannying about got an LLB and a Diploma in Legal Practice. Didn't bother with honours as I already had a job with a traineeship offer but that meant the diploma took two brutal years because I did it part time. The diploma was pretty useless if you're used to working and they were big on presenteeism and a high volume of (easy but time-consuming) work. That seemed to be all about teaching the shitmunchers who haven't had a proper job what work is like.  The diploma was useful for advocacy skills tbf though as you do no public speaking on the degree and so speaking in court can be a pretty nervewracking prospect.

No degree here, did Internet and Communications at Abertay and flunked first year.

Completely wrong course but the pressure was on from the folks and to be honest, I was having the time of my life pissing about with student loans and overdrafts.

Regret not knuckling down and having the balls to do a different course. In hindsight I was probably a year too young/immature and would've benefited from grafting in a job for a year before leaving home.

I have a 2:1 MA in Psychology and Philosophy plus a PGDE in Secondary Education. I've followed a fairly straight path career wise and now have a job that ties in with what I studied at University. The only change I would make if I could go back would be to drop the Philosophy part and go for a Psychology degree with a view to becoming an Educational Psychologist.

Currently doing a degree in Housing Law. Completely relevant to my job and hopefully get a good wee number in the near future after I finish it. 

Left school in 2011 with absolutely no idea what I wanted to do. Managed to get 7 Highers, all A's and B's but that wasn't good enough to get into the course I wanted to do so I'm starting off a bit late with the whole degree thing. Don't even know if I want to continue in the field I'm in just now, to be perfectly honest. 

Didn't get great grades at school but got:
BA 2:1
Masters with merit from Glasgow
And another masters with a distinction from an elite uni.
Academic performance doesn't impress me and I don't boast or mention my own qualifications. It is obviously some barometer of the ability to think critically but most of those most intelligent people I know have not had any formal education. I've also worked with folk with PHDs who haven't got a clue and think the world should operate the way it says in their textbooks. Complete inability to understand or foresee the practicalities of real life. Terrible people skills as well.

1 hour ago, anotherchance said:

No degree here, did Internet and Communications at Abertay and flunked first year.

Completely wrong course but the pressure was on from the folks and to be honest, I was having the time of my life pissing about with student loans and overdrafts.

Regret not knuckling down and having the balls to do a different course. In hindsight I was probably a year too young/immature and would've benefited from grafting in a job for a year before leaving home.

;)

Archived