A fully integrated pyramid system - Proposal

edinabear

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I reckon in ten years this 'for-pyramid/against-pyramid' debate will still be raging on and nothing will have changed. For the majority of clubs in the juniors there's as many pros as there is cons with regards to the pyramid system so it just drags on and on.

I hope not, more and more people are opening their eyes to reality. Equally though I'd not be surprised if you're correct.

why on earth would any Junior side want to join the pyramid its a load of nonsense . ok you get bampots who think they would be hosting the hoops in five years and maybe a run in europe as well .BOLLOCKS wake up smell the bovril and stop playing football manager and get yourself a burd .it would ruin scottish football .

why on earth would any Junior side want to join the pyramid its a load of nonsense . ok you get bampots who think they would be hosting the hoops in five years and maybe a run in europe as well .BOLLOCKS wake up smell the bovril and stop playing football manager and get yourself a burd .it would ruin scottish football .

FFS lol [emoji23]

Burnie why dont you get Blackburn united to join the lowland league ? am sure you would find there level and before long they would be duelling with Ajax no doubt lol.. do you still get the shoot and Roy of the Rovers ? you know just because you want something dont mean its going to happen kid pmsl

1 hour ago, cmontheloknow said:

The South sides onfield range from Super First-ish to the spread of abilities found at District level. A huge chunk of Wigtown's side (14/15 maybe) have come through the ranks at Stranraer and when I saw them in August v Talbot they were reasonable and good going forward but not at Bot's level.  None of the South sides would hang about for long at the top end.

Would agree with that too!! Seen a couple of games down there and it's not up to the standard of the better sides in the west. 

A bet Inverness fans thought the same, no so long ago

Burnie why dont you get Blackburn united to join the lowland league ? am sure you would find there level and before long they would be duelling with Ajax no doubt lol.. do you still get the shoot and Roy of the Rovers ? you know just because you want something dont mean its going to happen kid pmsl

What are you even blubbering about ffs [emoji23]

5 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Oh well Eamonn says we can't do it might as well all just give up.

I wouldn't be held back by Eamonn. He'll still see his team playing football in the pyramid. 

I really don't understand why Scotland thinks it should be any different to the majority of other nations in having 2 football league pyramid structures effectively operating side by side. I live down south and have tried to explain this several times. Nobody gets it!

Thing is for me, junior football is dying, its certainly not thriving like it could be. I get that some teams dont want to be in national leagues, probably most teams, fully understand that. But ultimately my clubs existence relies on junior football or whatever we call it being strong, because as much as my club has a fan base just now, if junior football continues to decline it wont for the next generations, arguably the same can be said for other junior teams. I do not want to see teams forcibly made to accept promotions which would place them in financial hardship, absolutely no one wants to see that. Conversely a model has been running in England for decades which works, based on regionalisation where clubs dont have to accept promotion. The lower leagues are controlled by different organisations just like the sjfa, no one is trying to take that control away from the member clubs/sjfa. We need to have a very serious conversation about how we preserve this part of our culture and ultimately help it thrive. Politically in our country decisions are being made which will have a very negative effect on our economy, I fully believe this will effect football in a number of ways, people will be poorer and some of the funding avenues will close as we leave the EU because this is where the requirement for some of the money which helps junior football directly and indirectly comes from. So we are now in a position where we need to think 20/30 years ahead. Id very much like there to be something for me to take my grandkids to and Id like to not loose any of the clubs in the junior set up because they are very much a huge part of our history and offer so much to our communities in this country. What we do need to be seen to be doing is to move with the times, whilst still retaining the local accountability we have currently, I fully believe a move to a pyramid system could include all view points and although compromise would be required from all sides it will very much be the best way forward.

I agree with that.

Although people refuse to accept it, unfortunately junior football is dying.

Look back at crowds the likes of Rob Roy, Petershill, Kilsyth Rangers etc used to get in the 70's and 80's and maybe even 90's. These were times when junior clubs could fill there grounds with crowds reaching the 4 figure mark. Now some clubs are lucky to reach 150 attending.

This does coincide with the big teams like Rangers and Celtic signing foreign talent so maybe this could be why the junior game lost its spark? Possibly.

But that doesn't mean the junior game has to fall further behind.

Yes we all know you won't see the likes of Messi signing for Talbot or Ronaldo making the switch to Linlithgow Rose but if you could make the leagues more exciting and the possibility of showing the country what your club can do and how far it could go then surely that could grasp the attention of the local supporter. Perhaps people would be more inclined to make the short journey to watch their home towns team rather than treck into Govan or Parkhead and pay £25 a time just for a ticket

You are the troll.
Take these thoughts to lowland whatever league forum.
Instead of coming on a junior forum full of junior supporters telling everyone it's crap it's worst place to be, wish we played elsewhere etc. What sort of reaction to you expect from some coming out with this sort of stuff ffs

He never said it was worst place to be or any of the sort. What he said was it isn't thriving like it could be and he's totally right.

The man is entitled to his opinion as are you.

People are just putting forth some ideas on how they think the game would improve. Don't like it then fine.

22 minutes ago, hareskirky said:

You are the troll.
Take these thoughts to lowland whatever league forum.
Instead of coming on a junior forum full of junior supporters telling everyone it's crap it's worst place to be, wish we played elsewhere etc. What sort of reaction to you expect from some coming out with this sort of stuff ffs

Can you just maybe grow up, stop trolling the thread, and either contribute without being a dick or bugger off?

1 hour ago, LeeKRR1878 said:

I agree with that.

Although people refuse to accept it, unfortunately junior football is dying.

Look back at crowds the likes of Rob Roy, Petershill, Kilsyth Rangers etc used to get in the 70's and 80's and maybe even 90's. These were times when junior clubs could fill there grounds with crowds reaching the 4 figure mark. Now some clubs are lucky to reach 150 attending.

This does coincide with the big teams like Rangers and Celtic signing foreign talent so maybe this could be why the junior game lost its spark? Possibly.

But that doesn't mean the junior game has to fall further behind.

Yes we all know you won't see the likes of Messi signing for Talbot or Ronaldo making the switch to Linlithgow Rose but if you could make the leagues more exciting and the possibility of showing the country what your club can do and how far it could go then surely that could grasp the attention of the local supporter. Perhaps people would be more inclined to make the short journey to watch their home towns team rather than treck into Govan or Parkhead and pay £25 a time just for a ticket

As the saying goes, keep doing the same thing time after time but expecting different results is a sign of being no right in the heid, or something like that.

“The Pyramid” will actually mean very little to 90% of Junior clubs, only a small percentage would ever be at the very top actually competing for promotion to the SPFL.

Everyone else would carry on as before, moving up and down the league structure, the only difference would be that in the West you’d encounter former South of Scotland league clubs, and in the East you’d encounter former East of Scotland league clubs (that’s already happening anyway), assuming that “The Pyramid” broadly mirrored the Junior structure. Potentially some existing Lowland League clubs would be involved in the mix as well depending on what the structure looked like.

The only additional requirements for current  Junior clubs would be that those at the top end of a new system would be expected to attain a Licence, however that shouldn’t be an issue, all LL clubs at the moment have it as do a number in the SoS and EoS leagues, some very small clubs. Linlithgow, Girvan and Banks O’Dee already have it. The Scottish Football Partnership award grants to clubs seeking to obtain Licences and it has the added advantage of automatic Scottish Cup entry.

So in reality for most of us nothing changes, except that we’d see all non-league clubs playing in the same system with the ability to move up and down the leagues, with no glass ceiling for those clubs who want to push on and move into the SPFL. It would also lead to more Junior clubs being able to emulate Bonnyrigg, and we’d also still have the Junior Cup in some form. Over time, the top end of the Pyramid would resemble the current West and East Superleagues anyway, with a handful of current LL clubs and former SPFL clubs making up the numbers.

I struggle to understand why anyone involved in the Junior game would seriously argue against this, in return for continued isolationism. It really is time for change, and if TJ & Co don’t like it, they should step aside.

3 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Can you just maybe grow up, stop trolling the thread, and either contribute without being a dick or bugger off?

Amen. There is an implicit assumption that the junior forum is populated by supporters of a grade rather than a football team. I've said countless times that I happen to have grown up in Linlithgow. Linlithgow are my team. I want them to be the best they can be and play at the highest level which they are capable of. They are "junior" by accident rather than design. They are no different to Stenhousemuir or Alloa so why do I think they should be completely set apart for reasons other than ability. 

Football is football. Junior football is not different. It's not "more worthy" or morally better or less corrupt. It's just football. And the only thing it actually achieves is its ability to constrain ambition - aided and abetted by those running the game in Scotland of course. 

15 minutes ago, HTG said:

Amen. There is an implicit assumption that the junior forum is populated by supporters of a grade rather than a football team. I've said countless times that I happen to have grown up in Linlithgow. Linlithgow are my team. I want them to be the best they can be and play at the highest level which they are capable of. They are "junior" by accident rather than design. They are no different to Stenhousemuir or Alloa so why do I think they should be completely set apart for reasons other than ability. 

Football is football. Junior football is not different. It's not "more worthy" or morally better or less corrupt. It's just football. And the only thing it actually achieves is its ability to constrain ambition - aided and abetted by those running the game in Scotland of course. 

Nail on head, and it needs to be said more. 

We support football teams, not a grade of football. The continued separation of Linlithgow Rose or Newtongrange Star from playing Whitehill Welfare or Spartans in league football is not tenable, it's no longer acceptable.

The West Region is slightly sheltered from this as they don't have strong "Senior" non-league clubs on their patch. Talbot or Pollok don't have an equivalent just down the road playing in an entirely separate set-up to illustrate how outdated it all is.

The sooner the sfa stop fucking about with this the better...for me semi pro football should be pyramid system if teams don't want in then they become amatuer and play in the amatuer leagues and cups.

If an amatuer team with totally no income can travel away in a Scottish cup game by bus then junior teams can travel 1 or 2hrs ffs.

Time to leave behind the dinosaurs in my opinion 

Archived