Standard of keepers

I think goalkeeping is generally at a good standard in this league, and I wouldn't hesitate in putting our own keeper Ricky Gomes towards the top end of keepers in this league. Has played every game since mid-October and hasn't made a single mistake that I can think of. Apart from him, I think Jordan Millar is a very good goalkeeper. The rest of the keepers are pretty decent, with the only 'bad' keepers I've seen probably being Berwick's from Saturday (I know he's back-up) and Elgin's keeper.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think goalkeeping is generally at a good standard in this league, and I wouldn't hesitate in putting our own keeper Ricky Gomes towards the top end of keepers in this league. Has played every game since mid-October and hasn't made a single mistake that I can think of. Apart from him, I think Jordan Millar is a very good goalkeeper. The rest of the keepers are pretty decent, with the only 'bad' keepers I've seen probably being Berwick's from Saturday (I know he's back-up) and Elgin's keeper.

Would agree with that. I really rate Gomes I think he could be in the championship tbh. I rate alot of them though in particular McGurn, Millar, Adam. Elgins goalie does seem to be a weak link and Berwicks keeper actually done well apart from the f**k up for the goal.

Would agree with that. I really rate Gomes I think he could be in the championship tbh. I rate alot of them though in particular McGurn, Millar, Adam. Elgins goalie does seem to be a weak link and Berwicks keeper actually done well apart from the f**k up for the goal.

I really think Gomes is brilliant, doesn't really have any weaknesses in his game. As you've said, I properly think we'd be top of the league had we started the season with him in goals.

Very hard for all young players trying out there trade in Scottish football but even harder for young goalkeepers. They've got no where to play to get game time and develop. Clubs mainly play their No2 in these development leagues to get them game time just in case they're called on so they need games to be ready, leaves the no3 who's usually the 19/20 year old with no game time. You've then got championship clubs taking goalkeepers on loan, don't understand why they would want to develop another clubs goalkeeper but that's the reality of the situation. Also remember a goalkeepers mistakes are always seen unlike outfielders who can get away with theirs! The most important player on the park is the goalkeeper so don't be too hard on them[emoji3]

2 minutes ago, guccibag said:

Very hard for all young players trying out there trade in Scottish football but even harder for young goalkeepers.

I just mentioned the other day on Steelmen Online the seemingly high number of Motherwell U20 goalkeepers who are now plying their trade at other senior clubs.

Max Currie, Brett Long, Ross Stewart, Alan Martin, Jamie Ewings.  

Very hard for all young players trying out there trade in Scottish football but even harder for young goalkeepers. They've got no where to play to get game time and develop. Clubs mainly play their No2 in these development leagues to get them game time just in case they're called on so they need games to be ready, leaves the no3 who's usually the 19/20 year old with no game time. You've then got championship clubs taking goalkeepers on loan, don't understand why they would want to develop another clubs goalkeeper but that's the reality of the situation. Also remember a goalkeepers mistakes are always seen unlike outfielders who can get away with theirs! The most important player on the park is the goalkeeper so don't be too hard on them[emoji3]

Great summary.

Archived