Standard of keepers

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

But, but, but, Cowden have the best keeper in Scotland and the world's best u21 keeper on their bench?!

Doesn't mean that the other teams in div 1 and 2 don't have poor keepers.  You can't all be as lucky as the mighty Blue Brazil.

Keep up.

Ricky Gomes is a very good goalie, what a difference he's made to us, if we had had him in from week 1 I'm convinced we'd be sitting top right now. Mutch flogged a fair few and was the difference between 3 points and 1 point, and 1 point and 0 on a few occasions.

A fair point. Thankfully whilst we're part of Scotland's infamous poor lower league keeper problem, we excel in Scotland's Cowden slayer club and Thommo has got it right up big McGurn on no less than three occasions this season.

Anyway, don't let the above spark life into what is probably the worst topic I've seen on P&B.

There always have been one or two dodgy keepers in the lower leagues. Nothing new really.

Hugh Sproat of Motherwell; Hugh Stevenson at Dumbarton (going way back); Tony Mitchell and comedy Derek Jackson at the Shire; Richie Barnard more recently; Ross Salmon with us last season; Peter Hamilton at Queen's Park; just to name a few. All rotten goalkeepers and baffling that they got a game in the senior leagues.

I don't think there are so many obvious clowns at the moment. Montrose have one good keeper and a capable back up. Sure Berwick's keeper had a nightmare on Saturday judging from the highlights but that can happen to anyone. 

20 minutes ago, endieinreekie said:

Lucas Birnstingl. Close thread.

Absolute Lichtie legend!  Bring him back please Montrose, but not to play against Forfar though!

I think there are some pretty decent keepers out there... Montrose keeper was outstanding against us at the start of the year... McGurn at Cowden was superb at the start of the season too.  Not all down to the class of keeper though, shit defences hardly help! 

Stephan Gollach is the keeper I will never forget.  Used to train with Stefan Klos and was seen as one hell of a signing on paper anyway.

Game 1 - Cowdenbeath 0 v 6 Stenhousemuir

Never to be seen again :lol:

I don't think clubs have as many keepers in their squad as they maybe did 15-20 years ago.

As a result, good keepers have had to drop down the leagues to get a game and I think, contrary to the OP, the standard of goalkeeping is pretty high.

This has happened with all positions as budgets have been tightened but appears to me to be more obvious regarding goalies.

Your right the standard of keeper is good with certain teams. There seems to be a lot of keepers who are mid late 20s coming down from higher league teams to get the game time. There are not many 19 / 20s getting a chance unless they are on loan from the premier league. But agree there are some poor keepers that make basic mistakes

Although I wouldn't swap Chris Smith for any of them, I haven't seen a bad Goalkeeper in this league for the past couple of seasons.

The standard has certainly improved. Even last season, The Shire had Darren Dolan, a young Keeper who could of played for any of the clubs in this league this year, surprised he is now used as a back up.

Although I wouldn't swap Chris Smith for any of them, I haven't seen a bad Goalkeeper in this league for the past couple of seasons.

The standard has certainly improved. Even last season, The Shire had Darren Dolan, a young Keeper who could of played for any of the clubs in this league this year, surprised he is now used as a back up.

Dolan got injured and was out for 3 months. We were playing Dean Shaw (also injured) and when we signed Jamie Barclay we stopped conceding as many goals. So unfortunately timing hasn't been on Darren's side.

It's a shame as he's one of the only players who actually pulled their weight and played well in our relegation run and he single handed kept us in the game during the play-offs.

I've heard that a couple of clubs have been keeping tabs on him.

Archived