St Johnstone v Stenhousemuir

andrewh

Fair play to Stenhousemuir FC today. Certainly can't fault the team for a lack of effort, especially in periods in the second half, but St Johnstone didn't really need to get out of second gear. The two early-ish goals sucked any tension out of the match and the home side strolled most of it. Although Stenny had a couple of nice spells here and there, the Saintees kept them at arm's length. Willis Alves Furtado looked a little off the pace today and nothing really came off for him today but beyond that, everyone gave it their best.
Huge shouts to the Stenhousemuir FC team today too, they donated their complimentary tickets to the supporters bus. A big help at a financially difficult time of year. I shall eat next week!

Was he number 7? He looked like he'd be a dangerous player in the lower leagues. Your captain impressed me too, as did the number 10 who finds space well. Don't know why you lot played with, what looked to me, two forward thinking wide men, as it just left the full backs exposed.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Was he number 7? He looked like he'd be a dangerous player in the lower leagues. Your captain impressed me too, as did the number 10 who finds space well. Don't know why you lot played with, what looked to me, two forward thinking wide men, as it just left the full backs exposed.

Yes mate, Willis Furtado was the #7. I said to my mate sitting next to me, you can get away with kicking the ball past the full-back and running after it in League 1 but it's a bit different against a Premiership side.

No-one really stood out for St Johnstone but I suppose they weren't really being tested all that greatly and no-one really needed to step up. Good luck for the rest of the season - I played in a band a couple of years ago and our drummer was a big Saints fan, rarely missed a game, so it's always nice to see them do well.

46 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I think at the same game GordieBoy is talking about the turnstile operators wouldn't let Pars fans in for a tenner (or whatever it was) despite their earlier article on their website saying that would be the price if we brought season tickets. 

It was £1 off the gate price.  So it was either 12 or 11 for us.  For you it would have been 14 or something. 

An unremarkable afternoon but job done. I thought we tried to keep at it even after establishling the cushion but we're maybe just a bit rusty. Little worth discussing but useful to get Watson a game and playing Wotherspoon centrally in games like this is worth making a note of. Thought Mannus might have played but Wright is obviously fully committed to Clark.

One thing that is annoying me is the attitude towards Cummins that seems to be becoming more prevalent. A guy who selflessly runs channels (but never gets the pass) and today was drifting left to open up space for Swanson. He put in a really good shift today, as he did against Rangers. He doesn't have the quality of May or Sandaza but is a welcome part of the squad in my eyes. Kane gets similar undeserved treatment. I like both these players.

Thought Oli Shaw showed a bit of promise for Stenhousemuir, or Hibs.

Think the two Cummins comments above sum it up for me. His movement was very good today but not once was he released (or at least not at the right moment but after he'd checked his run). He badly needs a goal though as said and should have got one today.

My match-day experience was somewhat tarnished by the fat oaf who sits directly behind me. He's very irritating in general, but today's musings really put the cherry on top of his idiotic cake. He began by praising Donald Trump and branding all of his doubters as 'leftie p***ks'. He then went on to claim that global warming is a myth, before describing Barack Obama as a 'fucking wee Muslim c**t'.

Onto the match itself, it was a professional but uninspiring performance. It developed into something which bore more resemblance to a friendly. Stenhousemuir were quite tough to break down at times, but we were rarely threatened by them in an attacking sense.

Sorry to go against the grain, but I thought Graham Cummins was extremely poor today. He lacks pace and he's currently showing a lack of basic ball control, so we're reliant on him - as a comparatively big man - being able to win headers. Unfortunately, he's not doing that either. His performances aren't good enough at the moment. I'm aware that he's made a lot of substitute appearances, but 2 goals in his last 20 appearances simply doesn't cut the mustard. We all know that he possesses quality when playing with confidence, so it's a bit frustrating to watch him right now. That confidence seems to be sorely lacking at present.

I won't lie. I'm not in a good mood . I put money on 'Over 2.5 goals' in this match (and numerous others). St. Johnstone were the only team to let me down. 

I agree with TRS on Cummins tbh. He's caught offside far too often and it's not just because players are late to spot a pass to him. That's a part of it, but he's far too slow in getting back onside when a ball is cleared. It must be infuriating for our players when Cummins is the only outball and he's standing in an offside position. His touch was dreadful at times as well and I don't think he links with anyone in this team particularly well on the evidence of this season. He's clearly quite a clever player and I do quite like him but felt play either broke down or slowed down when he got the ball today. 

I called the pattern of the match before the game even started today. We'd get ourselves into a 2-0 lead then stroll the rest of the game, doing enough to keep the opposition at bay but not enough to really create anything of note. 

In a way I can understand why our crowds seem to be dropping just now. We are an effective, efficient team but it's not exactly exciting to watch most of the time. I'd love to see us sign faster, more enigmatic players. 

36 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

My match-day experience was somewhat tarnished by the fat oaf who sits directly behind me. He's very irritating in general, but today's musings really put the cherry on top of his idiotic cake. He began by praising Donald Trump and branding all of his doubters as 'leftie p***ks'. He then went on to claim that global warming is a myth, before describing Barack Obama as a 'fucking wee Muslim c**t'.

Onto the match itself, it was a professional but uninspiring performance. It developed into something which bore more resemblance to a friendly. Stenhousemuir were quite tough to break down at times, but we were rarely threatened by them in an attacking sense.

Sorry to go against the grain, but I thought Graham Cummins was extremely poor today. He lacks pace and he's currently showing a lack of basic ball control, so we're reliant on him - as a comparatively big man - being able to win headers. Unfortunately, he's not doing that either. His performances aren't good enough at the moment. I'm aware that he's made a lot of substitute appearances, but 2 goals in his last 20 appearances simply doesn't cut the mustard. We all know that he possesses quality when playing with confidence, so it's a bit frustrating to watch him right now. That confidence seems to be sorely lacking at present.

I won't lie. I'm not in a good mood . I put money on 'Over 2.5 goals' in this match (and numerous others). St. Johnstone were the only team to let me down. 

TRS, you are funny. You started off by calling him 'the fat oaf' and then proceeded to ridicule his (similar) opinions on others.

Don't know about Trump and his doubters, nor do I know much about global warming except that it's used to charge us more. Finally, Obama isn't 'wee.'

Anyhow, poor Zippy at least tries. Nothing much is coming off for him this last while. I like him as a player and wish him well and hope he gets a breakthrough soon.

:P

12 minutes ago, andrewh said:

TRS, you are funny. You started off by calling him 'the fat oaf' and then proceeded to ridicule his (similar) opinions on others.

Don't know about Trump and his doubters, nor do I know much about global warming except that it's used to charge us more. Finally, Obama isn't 'wee.'

^^^ Trump supporter ;)

I voice my risque opinions via an internet messageboard. I use my keyboard to spew the venom which dwells within the recesses of my mind. This man - this fat oaf  - chooses to vocalise his innermost drivel via the mouth, subjecting poor innocent bystanders to a running commentary of his deepest, darkest thoughts. This afternoon, through no choice of my own, I discovered that he likes BBC's Sherlock, he doesn't like ITV's The Voice or BBC's Let it Shine, and he prefers chicken thigh to chicken breast. I'm not sure whether I agree with him or not, but I certainly don't want to be thinking about it during a game of football.

^^^ Trump supporter [emoji6]
I voice my risque opinions via an internet messageboard. I use my keyboard to spew the venom which dwells within the recesses of my mind. This man - this fat oaf  - chooses to vocalise his innermost drivel via the mouth, subjecting poor innocent bystanders to a running commentary of his deepest, darkest thoughts. This afternoon, through no choice of my own, I discovered that he likes BBC's Sherlock, he doesn't like ITV's The Voice or BBC's Let it Shine, and he prefers chicken thigh to chicken breast. I'm not sure whether I agree with him or not, but I certainly don't want to be thinking about it during a game of football.

See, I told you that you are funny.
I don't like Sherlock, the voice, let it shine or chicken thighs. Doubt I'd like him either.
I never shout anything at the football except 'That's rubbish' - usually to the officials, sometimes to our players.

2 hours ago, Radford said:

An unremarkable afternoon but job done. I thought we tried to keep at it even after establishling the cushion but we're maybe just a bit rusty. Little worth discussing but useful to get Watson a game and playing Wotherspoon centrally in games like this is worth making a note of. Thought Mannus might have played but Wright is obviously fully committed to Clark.

One thing that is annoying me is the attitude towards Cummins that seems to be becoming more prevalent. A guy who selflessly runs channels (but never gets the pass) and today was drifting left to open up space for Swanson. He put in a really good shift today, as he did against Rangers. He doesn't have the quality of May or Sandaza but is a welcome part of the squad in my eyes. Kane gets similar undeserved treatment. I like both these players.

Thought Oli Shaw showed a bit of promise for Stenhousemuir, or Hibs.

Whilst I agree Cummins is selfless with his runs into the channels and yes this creates space you still can't say he played well today. For some games being selfless is enough but when your other striker is Maclean, the most selfless player on the planet, then you need Cummins to be a striker. He had enough service today and yet never got a single shot on target. His timings of his runs were poor and he was playing against a poor side where he was given space.

I like Cummins when he's on form and sharp. He needs a goal badly though. 

Anyone else see the moronic group of young Stenhousemuir fans on the Crieff road? Couldn't have been older than 15 and completely wasted on Cheap cider and tonic wine.

7 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Anyone else see the moronic group of young Stenhousemuir fans on the Crieff road? Couldn't have been older than 15 and completely wasted on Cheap cider and tonic wine.

Lol, I think I know who you are talking about. Funnily enough all but 1 or 2 of them are 18 or above.

Archived