Dumbarton V Queens

Re Nade, he probably weighs the same as our two central defenders added together and he uses his bulk to put himself about a bit. I think Brownlie was told to get stuck right in and he was the one who was giving Nade a bit of it back. It was the sort of wrestling you get between big forwards and big defenders every week. Overall, I thought we played Nade well, his lay-offs didn't come to much. Ironic it was him that scored, I didn't really think he'd done much.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

It's interesting how people's opinions differ. I thought that, particularly in the first half, Nade was very effective.

He won a lot in the air and his hold up way was good. There was a lack of runners going beyond him, albeit Vaughan was trying a load.

He was constantly being manhandled by the Queens' defence, seemingly invisible to the referee, but made a good fist of it. He tailed off a bit after he scored, but I thought he was pretty effective today.

I agree, Nade was decent today. 

Obviously I'd say it, but I thought Nadé did well today. He's still not at full sharpness, and that showed as he tired, but he was a lot more effective than Robert Thomson has been. That was demonstrated when he was in the right place at the right time to grab the goal. I just don't think Thomson has that goalscorer's instinct. Like I said earlier when Vaughan flashed the injury time header across goal Thomson was at the far post, but didn't move to put the ball in and looked caught in his heels. A goal scorer (and Derek Lyle is the perfect example of that) would've anticipated that happening and stuck it in the net.

The thing people need to remember with Nadé though is that he's far more effective when the ball is played into his chest and feet. He's got a fantastic touch, and his vision is excellent. Using him for to flick the ball on occasionally to nobody is a waste.

3 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Obviously I'd say it, but I thought Nadé did well today. He's still not at full sharpness, and that showed as he tired, but he was a lot more effective than Robert Thomson has been. That was demonstrated when he was in the right place at the right time to grab the goal. I just don't think Thomson has that goalscorer's instinct. Like I said earlier when Vaughan flashed the injury time header across goal Thomson was at the far post, but didn't move to put the ball in and looked caught in his heels. A goal scorer (and Derek Lyle is the perfect example of that) would've anticipated that happening and stuck it in the net.

The thing people need to remember with Nadé though is that he's far more effective when the ball is played into his chest and feet. He's got a fantastic touch, and his vision is excellent. Using him for to flick the ball on occasionally to nobody is a waste.

I said on a match thread last week, Thomson had a guilt edged chance to score & did his usual fall over & swipe at a volley, instead of showing a bit of composure. The big chap's no got it for the Championship unfortunately.

Right about Christian, class act, he may well be our hero once more. 

Make it so

The referee just wasn't very good, letting Nade and the defence wrestle it out, both probably giving it as good as the other, being suddenly late on fussy about where freekicks are being taken after not giving a toss for most of the match, giving the ball the wrong way at a fair few throw ins amongst a variety of petty but fortunately not game altering decisions.

Your post was a very measured and sensible one, but I can't fully agree with this.

It was physical between Nade and the Queens defenders, but for me, it was certainly one-sided. Nade puts himself about and is certainly physical when he challenges for the ball, but the number of times a defender was climbing all over him when the ball was played into him was disproportionate to the number of fouls given.

He certainly did get fussier as the game went on, I'll agree there. Some very baffling decisions. None more so than letting Thomas sit on the ground late on, while seeming to stand back awaiting on a physio who of course given the match circumstances at the time, wasn't forthcoming.

On another day that could have been a score draw, but we've not finished a couple of opportunities and Queens too could have scored again, so not a terrible day, just slightly disappointing result. Few positives and a few negatives.

More or less how I seen the game. Gutted not to have at least taken a point. Just needing a bit more cutting edge in the final third. Plenty positives to take forward. Just need to end this losing streak we are on next week.

Those laughable pass back shouts :lol: forgot about them actually.

What a great bunch the Dumbarton fans on here are. Very measured and realistic opinions on a game that Queens maybe just edged. But certainly judging by the highlights you's were decent.

Great highlights out so quickly. I like the interviews at the end; I wonder if we could do the same?!

Another game where a decent performance yielded hee-haw in the end. As well as the chance missed by Thomson, Vaughan hit a screamer at 0-0 well saved by Robinson and at 0-1, in the second half, he put a shot wide when it looked a simpler task to hit the target. However Queens had a few near misses too and Carmichael missed a great chance to make it 2-0. Aldo won't be pleased to see the winner sneak in at the near post when he was there with the remainder of the goal wide open. Stirling was pretty exceptional today and David Smith continues to do a grand job. I thought Nade did well given that he had two men on him all the time. Some of the holding by the Qeens defence was surely worthy of a foul or two? Maybe it's gold tinted glasses but in the last three games I've felt that we suffered unduly from decisions. We missed Garry Fleming's presence. He might have made the difference.

One of those days where the performance was reasonable enough but we struggled to break down a well organised and stuffy Queens defence.

Nade was given a tough time of it but you can't fault the defenders if the referee isn't willing or able to see it as a foul. Some of the manhandling was ridiculous. The big man took his goal well but I'm not connvinced he's yet fully fit. Unfortunately when Thommo came on our attacking threat all but disappeared.

Harvie had a poor game but inconsistency is to be expected in a young player so I wouldn't be overly critical. He'll play better next week if fit.

Vaughan is a very worthy addition to our squad and played well yesterday, but at times tried to do it all himself. Was unlucky not to score.

Overall I think a draw wouldn't been a fair result but Queens took their chances and we didn't. However, if a team playing badly and winning is a sign of a good team, what is a team who play well and continue to pick up nothing? Morton, Hibs and QoS; three consecutive games where our play arguably deserved more, but we've taken 0 from 9 points. Let's hope that's not a sign because if we go through another dip in performances we could be in real trouble.

Some crucial games coming up.

I'm not sure I saw all this "manhandling" Nade apparently got yesterday. Dowie was rightly booked for a late challenge on him in the first half. No complaints there. I can recall one incident before that when there was some complaint Dowie had an arm on his back when they both jumped for a ball and one later one where Brownlie looked like he might have had an arm around him on another jump ball. It was hardly all in wrestling and I don't recall much else. Nade is a unit and effective in his role. He scored the equaliser but he also had a big part in making it when he won the ball in the middle of the park and we just couldn't get it off him before he fed it wide and headed for the box.

I thought Lewis Vaughan was slightly disappointing yesterday to be honest. He's always looked tremendous against us for Raith and after last week's press he was one I was worrying about but he flitted in and out of the game and was reasonably anonymous first half. I think he hit the early one from distance Robinson turned wide but I don't think it was on target anyway and it was never seriously troubling the keeper. He was better second half but still choked his only decent chance across the face of goal and wide. Andy Stirling was tremendous though and I thought Stuart Carswell had a really good game. It was only when he faded and eventually went off that Thomson and Rankin really got into the game in midfield.

It was a tight game but we just about did enough to shade it. Cracking win for us in the end. We can for the moment at least start looking upwards not downwards.

5 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Spoke to Ray Mackinnon in the local last night and he felt Dumbarton were the poorest team in the league and would be surprised of they finished above St Mirren.

I put that comment to one of our weirdly long blades of grass this morning, and it just laughed. Make of that what you will.

40 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Spoke to Ray Mackinnon in the local last night and he felt Dumbarton were the poorest team in the league and would be surprised of they finished above St Mirren.

:lol:

Record vs Dumbarton...

P3 W1 D0 L2

Sounds like an awful attempt at trolling that.

Archived