Dumbarton V Queens

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I take it Dom Thomas has found his feet then? 3 goals is a quite remarkable return from him given I don't think he'd even managed to score 1 for our 20s in the past year.

Out of curiosity, how has his overall game been? One of the big things Craigan has been trying to instil is consistency of performance and as I had posted in your thread when he signed for Queens his final ball was often lacking and a lot of his good work was being undone by him making the wrong choices when it mattered.

Pleased to see he's getting minutes and making an impact though.

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

So I take it Dom Thomas has found his feet then? 3 goals is a quite remarkable return from him given I don't think he'd even managed to score 1 for our 20s in the past year.

Out of curiosity, how has his overall game been? One of the big things Craigan has been trying to instil is consistency of performance and as I had posted in your thread when he signed for Queens his final ball was often lacking and a lot of his good work was being undone by him making the wrong choices when it mattered.

Pleased to see he's getting minutes and making an impact though.

If Motherwell have 11 players better than Dom Thomas they must have some team!  He has been terrific for us (as has Joe Thomson) and so positive. Running at people, good with both feet and happy to shoot on sight. He and Thomson have added so much attacking intent from midfield. Dom's second today was a rebound after Thomson hit the bar. His other two goals this week and last were hits from outside the box cutting in onto his left foot. He also created our 2nd and 3rd at St Mirren.

Its great having a genuine goal threat in midfield now.

28 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Case of two wingers that. Queens used Thomas everytime they could, and he was excellent. Andy Stirling was very impressive for us, but we decided to bypass him and lump it up to nobody at every opportunity.

Had a couple of glorious chances. Vaughan's header should've been followed in by Thommo, and I've nae idea why Barr tried a left footed volley in stoppage time with players queuing up in the box.

Concerning as I saw a few parallels to our pre-Bonnyrigg showings.

Frustrating as it was I think we can hold off on panicking too much yet. We have better quality throughout the squad than we had for the first 6 months of the season.

I thought Stirling played well and his final ball was overall very good. He was easily our man of the match but I thought we dominated plenty of that match and we just need a wee bit more quality/composure in the final third. We could do with a break or two like Queens got for their 2nd goal as well.

4 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Frustrating as it was I think we can hold off on panicking too much yet. We have better quality throughout the squad than we had for the first 6 months of the season.

I thought Stirling played well and his final ball was overall very good. He was easily our man of the match but I thought we dominated plenty of that match and we just need a wee bit more quality/composure in the final third. We could do with a break or two like Queens got for their 2nd goal as well.

You got a pretty similar break on your equaliser to be fair!

Stirling was easily your best player but I thought Carswell was excellent too.

Queens deserved to win on their second-half showing, and Naysmith deserves credit for spotting that we were offering no cover in front of Smith at RB and pulling Dobbie wide to work that channel most effectively.  We lost our shape far too often and as So8 has already spotted, some old bad habits re-emerged, eg giving the ball away cheaply.

Thomas took both goals well, but we had too many players who were off it today, with, save for the last 15 minutes, an evident lack of movement up front.  That's now three single-goal defeats on the spin, we need to stop that becoming a run.

30 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Didn't deserve anything. Queens were decent.

Don't agree, unlucky to go in at the break 1 down, second half we tried to hit nade to often, when stirling was excellent, should have kept driving at queens left back, how many times was that centre half allowed to  foul nade. Very lame stand side linesman also. Quite worrying playing decent yet taking nothing. Do we need Andy little?

Worth noting that there were one or two of our players who didn't play particularly well. Harvie had his worst game since he came in and Sparky got caught once or twice - wasn't the worst - but he has been so good recently with the exception of the Morton game and Stanton had been coming onto a game before he couldn't play last week, but didn't do enough today. Nade didn't really get involved enough for me but took his goal really well. 

9 minutes ago, optimistic said:

Don't agree, unlucky to go in at the break 1 down, second half we tried to hit nade to often, when stirling was excellent, should have kept driving at queens left back, how many times was that centre half allowed to  foul nade. Very lame stand side linesman also. Quite worrying playing decent yet taking nothing. Do we need Andy little?

What has Andy Little done, ever, that makes you think he's the answer to us cutting teams open and being more clinical in front of goal?

We don't do comfortable wins and the last 10 mins we're a bit hairy. That said, we missed some good chances, Danny from the edge of the 6 yard box for instance - a goal would do his confidence wonders.

Dobbie's trickery was creating chances, but so many flicks seemed to surprise his team-mates as much as the opposition!

Thomas clearly made the big difference.

One defeat in seven, bring on the Hibees...

As others have said, a bit of a frustrating afternoon for the third game running. A couple of players maybe dropped a little from last week, but I thought that was still ten zillion light years ahead of what we were producing prior to the game that will not speak its name. No need to panic just yet.

Stanton is the new Ryan Stevenson. Completely ineffective today and with Stirling and Vaughan droppin in and out of the game there was no real consistency to our play through the midfield.

I thought Carswell and Div Smith were good today.

I like Stirling, but after tearing their rb a new one early in the game and his subsequent booking, we just couldnt get him into the game until late in the second half.

With Nade playing up top himself, queens could play a high defence and squeeze the midfield well.

Thought queens done well and could easily push on for fourth now.

1 minute ago, sonsanorak said:

Stanton is the new Ryan Stevenson. Completely ineffective today and with Stirling and Vaughan droppin in and out of the game there was no real consistency to our play through the midfield.

I like Stirling, but after tearing their rb a new one early in the game and his subsequent booking, we just couldnt get him into the game until late in the second half.

With Nade playing up top himself, queens could play a high defence and squeeze the midfield well.

That's a bit too far in my opinion. Stevenson done very very little in 6 months where he started plenty of games and had many chances. Stanton was quiet today - I said the same already. But he was excellent a few weeks back against Morton and beforehand he had decent games against Dundee Utd and a little less so against Falkirk (where he single handedly made the winning goal).

That was an annoying one.

For spells in the game Dumbarton played pretty well. We were certainly competitive. Our real problems were 2 horrible errors that both lead to goals and a complete inability to test the keeper. Other than the 2 goals I thought we defended relatively well. We were ok in midfield for a decent part of the game. Our final ball into the box wasn't good enough and Queen of the South dealt very well with both Vaughan and Nade. There was always somebody close to Nade and since he's never going to be a threat with pace, every header he went for was contested. He didnt particularly like the attention from the QotS defenders and other than the goal he wasn't really in the game. With Vaughan he was closed down well and every time he tried to turn his man there was a 2nd QotS player to pick up the loose ball.

We've played worse than that and somehow managed to secure something from games. Ultimately mistakes at the back and a lack of quality in the final 3rd meant that we just couldn't take anything. Robinson in goals for QotS had a relatively comfortable afternoon.

15 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

I'd love to know the reasons behind this comparison, as I genuinely think you couldn't have compared him with a more different player. Stanton is quick, direct and good running with the ball. His issue is that he can't play out wide and isn't great at the more physical side of things.

Stevo was physically pretty decent, but he couldn't run and barely tracked back. Stanton outwide is fairly comparable to Mitch Megginson at wing-back I'd say.

Fair play to Queens, got chances & took them.

Nade & Fleming, if he'd started, would perhaps have stretched QoS a bit more.

Stanton was a bit ineffective today, I'd have subbed him.

Fairly gutting that we've played decent in 3 games and lost.

Stevie, please free up another wage and get rid of big R Thomson, he can't even time a header in front of goal.

Archived