Romeo

So...the beautiful Mrs Romeo is 50 this year. I have booked a surprise midweek break in December this year over her birthday as she has always wanted to see the Christmas Markets., I assume after last year these will be some of the safest Christmas markets :blink:

Any tips for food, things to do? Would love to take her to a Michelin star restaurant. Since it's Berlin I assume that herr @throbber might be able to give me tips ^_^

eta - What about getting from the airport to the City?

Edited by Romeo

Aye Schoenfeld (sp?) to city centre is a piece of piss. Can't go wrong with Berlin even (especially?) this time of year, masses of things to see. One thing I did was take the train out to Union Berlin's stadium in Köpenick which is in the former DDR. it was 2008 but it had a very East European feel compared to West Berlin. Also the Olympiastadion, Jesse Owens and all that.

It's my favourite city to visit and I know East Berlin very well and happy to offer any advice for areas like Kreuzberg, Friedrichshain, Neukoln, (top 3 areas imo) and also Mitte and Prenzlauer Berg.  I don't go for fine dining though, quite the opposite tbh because I can do enough of that here.  There are a lot of very nice places to eat in the east but it's more casual. You might be better looking at the west of the city.

Edited by Kool Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Just back after a few days in Berlin.

We stayed in Charlottenberg which was excellent. Loads of pubs and restaurants at decent prices and only 10 mins on underground from the centre.

We got the RE7 train from Schoenefeld airport to the city and it only took 35 mins. We got the Welcome Card which was 28 euros but was valid for all the public transport for the 3 days we were there plus to and from the airport as well as reductions on things like museums and some restaurants.

Just back after a few days in Berlin.
We stayed in Charlottenberg which was excellent. Loads of pubs and restaurants at decent prices and only 10 mins on underground from the centre.
We got the RE7 train from Schoenefeld airport to the city and it only took 35 mins. We got the Welcome Card which was 28 euros but was valid for all the public transport for the 3 days we were there plus to and from the airport as well as reductions on things like museums and some restaurants.

Going next month for three nights, flying into Schoenefeld.
Where do you pick up the Welcome Card from?

11 hours ago, Sonsrock said:

Going next month for three nights, flying into Schoenefeld.
Where do you pick up the Welcome Card from?

We just got hours at the ticket machines at the train station. You have to validate it by using the red box beside the machine or on the platform. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from Berlin - always wanted to see Thievery Corporation, who were playing there on Friday.

Had been before for Hertha v AFC, but saw little of it - despite staying the main shopping drag in Charlottenburg in the west, which kept the wife happy - I actually loved walking around the old east including checking out the ground of Dynamo Berlin in Prenzlauerberg where we played in the European Cup in 84. Stasi backed club with a stand that backed on to the death zone.

DDR museum was quality - most interesting museum I have visited.

Interestingly BFC Dynamo now form half of the 'new axis of evil' (as mentioned in the magazine Football Weekends)

5b27873caea87c284c81a041e3987880.jpg

Just back from Berlin - always wanted to see Thievery Corporation, who were playing there on Friday.

Had been before for Hertha v AFC, but saw little of it - despite staying the main shopping drag in Charlottenburg in the west, which kept the wife happy - I actually loved walking around the old east including checking out the ground of Dynamo Berlin in Prenzlauerberg where we played in the European Cup in 84. Stasi backed club with a stand that backed on to the death zone.

DDR museum was quality - most interesting museum I have visited.

Interestingly BFC Dynamo now form half of the 'new axis of evil' (as mentioned in the magazine Football Weekends)

5b27873caea87c284c81a041e3987880.jpg

Friedrich Ludwig Jahn sportpark? This is quite a funky looking stadium especially with the floodlights.