I have a first generation full HD TV at the moment but am toying with getting a new 4K /UHD set.  I am getting Sky Q but am aware there's not much 4K content around.  For those who have a 4K set, does upscaling work?  Is the picture quality discernibly better when watching HD programmes?  What happens on standard definition programmes?

10 minutes ago, Tonsilitis said:

I have a first generation full HD TV at the moment but am toying with getting a new 4K /UHD set.  I am getting Sky Q but am aware there's not much 4K content around.  For those who have a 4K set, does upscaling work?  Is the picture quality discernibly better when watching HD programmes?  What happens on standard definition programmes?

I have an LG 4k TV and the difference is incredible, Upscalling works, the picture is so good it almost looks unnatural until you get used to it. Try to get one with HDR too. I don't have sky so can't comment on that. I would suggest not getting a curved TV as the picture might be more immersive for people sitting roughly in front of the tv but viewing angle are worse for those sitting to the side.

Neflix and Amazon to a lesser degree have a good selection of 4k stuff. Any new TV will have amazon and netflix apps as well as youtube which has an ever increasing catalogue of 4k stuff.

After getting a 4k TV going back to watch SD stuff on a "normal" tv is like watching with vaseline smeared on your eyes, Deffo go for it.

Thanks for that.  I am looking at a Samsung 8000 series flat screen - I have read about the drawbacks of curved screens.  Just making my mind up about screen size.  The room we use as a TV room is not huge - approx 14ft x 11ft and the TV sits in a corner.  I am thinking 55in is big enough, maybe even 49in.  The current TV is 40in but modern bigger screens are not hugely bigger physically due to the 2in all round bezel on older sets.

7 minutes ago, Tonsilitis said:

Thanks for that.  I am looking at a Samsung 8000 series flat screen - I have read about the drawbacks of curved screens.  Just making my mind up about screen size.  The room we use as a TV room is not huge - approx 14ft x 11ft and the TV sits in a corner.  I am thinking 55in is big enough, maybe even 49in.  The current TV is 40in but modern bigger screens are not hugely bigger physically due to the 2in all round bezel on older sets.

Yeah bigger not always better (for TV's :unsure:) How far in feet would you say you sit from your TV?

eta - Check out this calculator thingy.

http://uk.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

Archived