Looking beyond the teams you support and what you call the various forms of sausage across this great land, who on here carries out voluntary work at any level? If so, what do you help with? Do you still enjoy it?  Do you hate it but need that feel good factor or just that they really need you?  If you do nothing, is there anything you've considered, or even done in the past and quit for whatever reason?

For me, I originally became a helper at the local Scout group three years ago (I was unemployed and it gave me some feeling of worth at the time) and eventually got roped into becoming a full leader on Friday nights.  On days like today where mates are all going to a gig it can seem like a bit of a chore, but it has been a good way of meeting other folk and giving something back after going through Beavers to Ventures during my own childhood . That said, I really cannot be arsed helping the church with it's annual big garden leaf clean tomorrow morning (forecast is 0 degree Celsius combined with sleet, and I'm offering 5:1 odds that not a single scout will turn up after waking up late and looking out the window).

Anyway, enough of the 'look at me' type post, over to you...

Nowadays, no, but while with my previous employer I done a fair bit of voluntary and charity work through them. Aside from the raising money pish it would generally mean giving up the odd weekend to go and dig up a garden at some hospice, or do a spot of painting and decorating at care homes and that sort of stuff.

I found it ticked a box that let me ignore the fact that most of the rest of the time I was/am a c**t.

1 hour ago, kilbowie2002 said:

I have just started volunteering with the make a wish foundation, great charity, all about helping people make memories with their kids. Part of what im training to do is visit families and find out what the kid would like to do as their wish. Which is pretty cool, some of the kids wish to be a superhero for the day or go to disneyland or to meet one direction etc. Think because work wise i only see the bad things that people do etc its good to be involved with something that helps people create good memories.

You could combine it with your day job. Kick the door in and ask the wean to wish for his Da' to get bail.

36 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You could combine it with your day job. Kick the door in and ask the wean to wish for his Da' to get bail.

This did actually make me laugh out loud.

Archived