Stenny v Stranraer - clash of the bottom dwellers

Puzzled by the lack of excitement as we approach this one!!

Seriously, very important game for both clubs as they continue to struggle. We have brought in Morgyn Neill on-loan but have lost Franko to Alloa. Looks like Gibson and McGuigan might miss out too, so we'll be relying on Aggie for any goal.

Not confident of anything other than the usual overly-rushed game which Stenny's surface appears to encourage.

We really need to win this but a draw might be acceptable just to stop us going bottom.
With Gibson missing I think it's quite hard to guess the team. McGuigan had filled in wide before but nobody seems to know what's up with him.
Would start with Malcolm again over Nutall. Played well last week just needs something beside him.

What price for a child tomorrow Stenny?

Currently 8-1 to the blues on the 2 meetings so far this season,although the 5-0 was maybe a bit harsh on Stenny earlier on this season,the 3-1 for Stranraer at Stair Pk wasn't and we laid seige to their goal most of the game,with new recruit David Wilson catching the eye last week against Alloa and young star Kyle Turner alongside in midfield would be dissapointed if we don't win,although the lack of goals by a striker is worrying.

We are absolute P*SH, I'm fed up with all the sob stories " the ref was to blame " " we were the better team " " give the manager time" " irons in the fire " 

bbc stats show 0 shots on target for us , shocking result that even a pessimist like myself wasn't expecting.

what now the chairman/committee have shown faith in the manager and allowed him to "freshen up " the squad in the transfer window and yet we get poorer and poorer and fall further away from the teams above , it's quite obvious that Mr Reid has no contacts of note in the game as the standard of our squad is poorer now than ever.

Massive 3 points for us. Genuinely one of the most one sided games I've saw in a long time and I don't mean that in a disrespectful manner.

We played well today, as we have done for most of the season and thankfully there were no silly mistakes today which has often saw us on the wrong side of the result.

I was getting worried as time went on that we weren't going to make one of those chances count thankfully we did. Still a long way to go though and hopefully we can keep plugging away and start picking up more points. 

Yes lads, that was excellent stuff from the Warriors this afternoon. The scoreline might suggest a narrow, well-match contest but there was only ever one team in it. Stenhousemuir was very good; Stranraer was awful.

There isn't a lot to say about the match, in all honesty. Stenny had a host of decent chances in the first half, including a Colin McMenamin "goal" that was disallowed for offside, but just couldn't put them away. Oliver Shaw missed a particularly glaring opportunity towards the end, smashing a shot over the bar from eight yards out. The home side controlled most of the play and kept them at arm's length - Ciaran Summers and Ross Meechan stopped their wide players and Kieran Millar and Vinnie Berry dominated the middle of the park and on the rare occasions the ball found its way to Craig Malcolm, he was immediately shut down by Fraser Kerr or David Marsh. As soon as Stranraer got the ball up the park, it was coming straight back at them.

The Blues did, however, find some fluency towards the end of the first half and they took that momentum into the second but they never once looked threatening. Colin McCabe might as well have sat on his goal-line reading a goddamn magazine. Stenhousemuir themselves didn't look too potent but the match swung irrevocably in their favour on 68 minutes when Millar broke through the Blues backline to score. The goal was wonderfully worked. Alan Cook swung in low cross from the left wine and Colin McMenamin, noticing Millar running from deep, deftly chested the ball into Millar's path. Millar took two touches: one to control the ball, the other to smash it into the net from close range.

A Stranraer fightback didn't happen and it's been some time since I've seen a side surrender so meekly. Brian Reid made all three substitutions either side of the goal but not one of them made a discernible difference. Stenhousemuir stayed strong and could have added to their goal but most of their efforts were straight at Cammy Belford.

There were no failures from the Warriors today and everyone played their part in the win. The goalkeeper and his defence looked solid throughout - they handled everything the came their way and didn't once allow Stranraer to get in behind them. Willis Alves Furtado and Cook always offered a threat and McMenamin and SHaw put a good shift in up front. Special mention must go to Kieran Millar, though - his performance today was one of the best I've seen from a Stenhousemuir player in a long time. He was everywhere this afternoon, linking the defence and the attack with cute passing and halting Stranraer's rare forays forward with well-time blocks and tackles. While his ability without the ball has never been in question, he can sometimes be frustrating with it, but he was outstanding today. Fair play to him.

I can't think of anything good about Stranraer. Cammy Belford was okay and, for the best part, looked assured in goal but beyond that, they were horrible. No fight, no ambition, just nothing. I expected a lot more from them today but that was the worst team I've seen us play in the league this season. Maybe Brian Reid can uneartha star striker from some farflung corner in Eastern Europe to help them out. Who knows.

Very poor from the blues today,Stenny should have been 2 or 3 up at half time and although the second half was more even,the stats show no shots on goal against a team who are bottom of the League now second bottom.We missed Wullie Gibson big time today,but no excuses Stenny deserved it.

Was clear why these two are rooted at the foot of the table, but Stenny thoroughly deserved the win. They looked as if they wanted it more, right from the outset. We still appear to have a bunch of decent players, but with absolutely no discernible system and absolutely no direction. I'm glad that Nuttall's spell with us is over. I presume the terms of the loan deal meant that we had to play him every week as I can find no other earthly reason why he would have got a game regularly. Hard to tell how the new guys will do on the basis of that game - the best I can say is that Neill looked ok. I would have preferred Pettigrew at the back. On the basis of that display we will get horsed up at Pittodrie.

Was clear why these two are rooted at the foot of the table, but Stenny thoroughly deserved the win. They looked as if they wanted it more, right from the outset. We still appear to have a bunch of decent players, but with absolutely no discernible system and absolutely no direction. I'm glad that Nuttall's spell with us is over. I presume the terms of the loan deal meant that we had to play him every week as I can find no other earthly reason why he would have got a game regularly. Hard to tell how the new guys will do on the basis of that game - the best I can say is that Neill looked ok. I would have preferred Pettigrew at the back. On the basis of that display we will get horsed up at Pittodrie.

Tell me you weren't playing Pettigrew in midfield.

It was an easy win and should have been easier. Other than picking up over hit passes I don't think Colin McCabe had to use his hands today.

When we play with Kerr and Marsh at centre half we are a lot more solid. The whole team put in some shift, but Miller's performance in midfield was staggering and it was fitting he got the goal.

We are putting together a decent run. Long way to go still but if we show that level of commitment for the rest of the season then we will be all right.

Realise it was only one game, but as has been said, that $tranraer performance was the worst I've seen in the league.

The benefactor will not be pleased after the money he ploughed into them pre-season.

Think the money from the Aberdeen game next week should cover it.
Big money boys have been moved on. Alloa and Dumbarton footing the bill now.
Hopefully the benefactor is still here next season and we can romp League 2.

29 minutes ago, Mattmc said:

Think the money from the Aberdeen game next week should cover it.
Big money boys have been moved on. Alloa and Dumbarton footing the bill now.
Hopefully the benefactor is still here next season and we can romp League 2.

You'll have £a$t Kilbrid to contend with.

#battleofthebenefactors

Archived