Queens v Dundee Utd - IRNBRU Semi Final

Homer Thompson

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole team has been playing much better in recent weeks so we need the performers who are still in the 11 to lift the others! And hopefully the 'others' will have something to prove and be right up for it. It certainly seems Lyle is.

Its hard to gauge how United will be mentally. On one hand their main focus this season has by far been the league. However they are falling further and further behind Hibs so does that change their attitude towards this? They still have a fight for the playoffs of course.

And what about the fans? Are many travelling for the game?

I hope that we have a decent crowd but I fear it wont be that big :(.

Pleased to see at least one other exile making the trip!

It's not a trophy I am that fussed over, but given our recent run of form a win would be nice for confidence if nothing else. I would go to this game if I could, and am actually a bit sorry to be missing it. A lot of United fans have said that they wouldn't bother with the final if we got there, but I probably would. A trophy is a trophy. I'm not posh.

The whole team has been playing much better in recent weeks so we need the performers who are still in the 11 to lift the others! And hopefully the 'others' will have something to prove and be right up for it. It certainly seems Lyle is.
Its hard to gauge how United will be mentally. On one hand their main focus this season has by far been the league. However they are falling further and further behind Hibs so does that change their attitude towards this? They still have a fight for the playoffs of course.
And what about the fans? Are many travelling for the game?
I hope that we have a decent crowd but I fear it wont be that big [emoji20].
Pleased to see at least one other exile making the trip!

I may be wrong but I would be surprised if the crowd exceeds 1700.

Even without 3 of our new signings just hope that we set up our team to win the game and give it a go. United were truly awful on Sat and the last thing we need to do is set up negatively. After a good positive display against Morton I don't think we will be cautious and while we will miss the absentees, it is a chance for those that come in.

50 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I may be wrong but I would be surprised if the crowd exceeds 1700.

The only previous semi final in this we have played at home was against Arbroath in 2012 and the crowd was 2,300. Don't think that one was on tv, though.

The tv game against Linfield this season attracted about 1,300 home fans. 

Cup semi final sat so looking forward to the game think it's 50/50 to be honest, depending what team turns up and is hungrier on the day might make the difference. The Queens squad will be down to the bare bones but am sure the players that are available to play will give there all, especially Del Lyle who wants to have the chance to win his third winners medal in the challenge cup.

Whatever anyone thinks about this competition it's still a chance to win something. It seems the Dundee giants think it's beneath them. Not unlike the rangers fans and how many attempts did it take for them to finally win it!

I love this competition, it's provided some of my best moments supporting Queens and it represents our best chance of silverware at the start of every single season. I'm proud of our record in the competition.

I don't really consider it snobbery for a club such as United taking a different point of view though. They have a completely different set of ambitions and have a completely different history. For them even having to participate in this competition is a bit embarrassing.

Well i personally think my fellow dabs should get over themselves if their absence on here is snobbery. We were shit enough last season to find ourselves here so the least we should do is try to win anything that we can. Also considering we blew it last time we were in the competition we should be looking to make amends. Despite not winning too many finals we do have a good record of reaching them and getting a cup final day out to enjoy. Plus we don't have to be reminded by the funsters that they've won it a few times, although they have spent many more years in the championship/1st division than we have. So from my point of view I hope we come down there and ragdoll ye so I can have a cup final day out. But then again, there's always next season [emoji23]

My team would be-

Robinson
Brownlie dowie Higgins Marshall
Hamill Jacobs
Thomas dobbie Dykes
Lyle

Would've been a lot more comfortable if we had one of Rankin, Thomson or mercer that could play. Still think we've enough to get a result but will be tight. Well hopefully, after last time they visited

9 hours ago, overthetop said:

Whatever anyone thinks about this competition it's still a chance to win something. It seems the Dundee giants think it's beneath them. Not unlike the rangers fans and how many attempts did it take for them to finally win it!

In fairness to Rangers - not my natural disposition - they actually took the tournament seriously during each of the four seasons they were in it. 

They fielded strong teams and got decent crowds.  It served to make their first three attempts much funnier.

Surely time for Dobbie to don his 'shooting boots' once again.  He can be the difference, as we saw at the beginning of the season.

In recent times though his attempts at finishing have been absolutely woeful despite being set up perfectly on numerous occasions. He is most certainly in a slump, his body language strongly indicates all is not well.  I recall this happened in his first spell too, he slopes around with shoulders hunched looking very subdued.   Perhaps this provides a reality check for the OTT reaction from some when he signed again thinking we would be all-conquering this season with his return - he is only human and has weaknesses like everyone else.

Although some may think he should be, no player is exempt from substitution and the Manager was absolutely spot on when doing so in the Morton game.

Strikers thrive on goals and confidence - a real chicken and egg situation -  and he is missing both at the present time.

Saturday would be an ideal time for him to return to the form he displayed earlier in the season when it seemed he could not miss and exhibited the quality finishing we know he possesses.

Not sure that Dobbie's scoring record has been that bad in recent weeks - think he has something like 6 goals in last 10 games.

I certainly agree that deploying him as a lone striker is not playing to his strengths and probably by his own standards he has missed more good chances than you would normally expect to see.

Archived